This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Aiming high with SnGs

• leath
      leath
      Bronze
      Hi everyone.

General Information
      I've started playing Poker a little more than half a year ago. It was a start from absolute zero as I always disregarded the game as gambling and had no interest to play with other people risking money at luck's mercy.
      Last summer however I came to understand that there's a lot of good players making a lot of good money purely with their skills and I began to look a lot more into it. After spending some time and money on my first poker course I finally started playing for real money but even in the micros I didn't do very well.
      After some freeroll tournaments it occurred to me that I seemingly did better in tournament environments than in cash games but I didn't want to play for that many hours to potentially bust out with nothing.
      Which brought me to SnGs.
      I immediately bought Collin's "Sit n Go Strategies" book which really helped me improve a lot after I found a good balance between what the book suggests I should do and what my skills allow me to do.
      I usually play for around 1 - 2 hours every day after work and do some hand analysing on the weekends.

Goals
      My ultimate and undoubtedly far far away goal is to play SnGs professionally and to be able to not only support myself with these games but also a decent standard of living. As for the harsh reality of things though I'm currently trying to move up from 1$ SnGs.
      I recently changed from PartyPoker to 888. My main reason for doing this is that PP only offers Turbo and Hyper speed tournaments which is too stressful for me to improve my multitabling skills.
      So far I'm not playing more than 2 tables at a time and the main reason to multitable for me at all right now is to improve my sample size and have more material and data to work with for post play analyses.

Struggles
      It seems that multitabling is my biggest struggle so far. What I've learned recently is that I drastically need to improve my volume because in a good month I only play around 80 tournaments (usually around 4 or 5 after work every day). I changed to 888 because there are normal speed SNGs available and multitabling is not that stressful but I somehow lose a lot more often even with only 2 tables open. I feel that the information I get about players by completely focusing on 1 table only is what I actually need to be successful at this point. I wonder if it's time already for me to move onto multiple tables or whether I should keep playing 1 until my game is solid enough and I can make most decisions without too much thinking. I will definitely add multitabling to the things I'm working on right now. Generally playing 1 table I'm ITM about 42% of the time whereas multitabling it continues to drop and I've not hit any stable value yet.

What I'm working on
      What I'm always seeking to improve is my post flop play which I'm trying to accomplish through post play analyses with Pokertracker and Flopzilla. For the next couple of months I presume that most things I'll post on this block will be hands I played where I'm either not sure what the best $eV play would have been or to seek reassurance that my analysis and assumptions were correct.

Another thing I desperately want to work on are my multitabling skills. I need a much bigger volume and sample size to make good progress.

So this is the thing I'm actually mainly working on at the moment: Improving the speed and quality of my post play analyses.
      Besides that I've discovered Collin's SnG academy on this website here that I'll definitely be checking out soon.

So yep, that's pretty much it! I'm always happy to accept friend requests from people who like to discuss hands and games, grow with me if they're on the same level or give me valuable suggestions if they're better :)
  • 4 replies
    • leath
      leath
      Bronze
      I've created a thread for posting my hands where I'm uncertain about whether the play was positive or negative $EV so if you'd like to hop over there and give me some feedback it'd be greatly appreciated :)
    • nutural
      nutural
      Bronze
      interesting introduction, and I feel I'm sharing some of your thoughts.
      My only suggestion would be not to overwhelm yourself with information.
      What I mean is study to the point you can implement. Studying new stuff that you never implement (now) was a big bottleneck in the past.
      Less steps but solidified is what I’m trying to do myself.

Good luck at the tables :f_drink:
    • leath
      leath
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response! I'm trying my best to spend about as much time studying the theory as I do actually playing so I think it's a good balance. I had an exchange over Skype with another player today and it seems one of my bigger problems is actually my volume. But it seems my win rate drastically drops with even a second table open only. I'm debating whether I should first focus on getting better at the game before I move onto playing more tables or whether I should just focus on becoming good with multiple tables now. I often see beginners speaking about how many tables they're playing and I always wonder how they do that since the point where it really becomes stressful for me is 4 already.

But maybe I'm just stressing myself. I mean there's enough time to consider an action when it's your turn after all.
    • nutural
      nutural
      Bronze
      here is my opinion.

I suggest you perform a quick review of your sessions a day or even more after you played them.
      If you feel quite (not necessarily super) happy with your decisions then maybe add one table.

And the same some time later when you review your 2 table hands and you are still confident you have taken +EV decisions.

Don't care about what people say. Yes there are people who can 24 table etc etc... but if you are not profitable in 1 table adding more will only increase your losing result. Solidify your play and then add tables.