My therapy begins here

• cleanoutfish
      cleanoutfish
      Basic
      I just became a member of the site tonight. Ironically, I have been playing NL HE, mainly SNG for close to four years now...some cash games.

Funny how things go full circle some time.......the first year I played mostly live and thought the game was a cake walk. As I look back now I realize I truly had not much of an idea of how to play HE other then being a pretty decent poker player (five card).

That first year I won close to 30k in live games/SNG tourneys but I was a fish. Towards the end of that first year I started dabbling around online.

By the end of the second year I lost nearly 20k of my previous years winnings as the fish tactics finally began to catch up with me and the fact that I did not know the game. That was compounded by the fact that I thought I knew the game.

In my third year of thinking I knew how to play the game I dropped a little over 12k online alone; my live games stayed at about even but that was only because I am relatively good at reading people and tells.

Again this is about year four for me and it was not until right after the first of the year when I purchased a couple books and read them. It was also not until then that I began to study pot odds, implied odds, starting hands
      ect.................

My point on the full circle thing is......it was not until today that I finally realized I needed to take a step back, perhaps two.

I am down 2k this year already online and I look forward to getting back to some of the basics. Re-learning some things and learning others I never took the time to go over.

Thanks for listening but this is just kind of my own coming out/speaking out therapy in what I hope is a new beginning for me in the near future.

Cleanoutfish
  • 2 replies
    • williamtywong
      williamtywong
      Bronze
      hey cleanoutfish,

Glad you've found the light. good luck to you, and may there be plenty of fish for all of us to feed on!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      hello cleanoutfish,

Welcome to PokerStrategy. Congratulations on taking the first step and realizing that something was wrong as plenty of people put it down to other things rather than looking at themselves first.

Good luck on your poker knowledge journey.

Regards,
      -Steve