[NL2-NL10] NL25 FR - K,K - stupid stupid slow-played trips

• Tim64
      Known players:

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:club: , K:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, BB folds.

Flop: ($2.25) K:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 5:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.25) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) T:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.14, SB raises to $3.50 (All-In), Hero calls $1.36.

Final Pot: $9.25

Will someone please visit me with a large mallet and knock some sense into me?

I'm too cunning for my own good and got caught out by villain making backdoor straight. Can I have some advice about when, if ever, you can slowplay monster trips? I guess I should have even bet the flop here as it's not at all dry. And then definitely I must bet the Turn. What's wrong with me?!
  • 4 replies
    • williamtywong
      Hey Tim,

With flush and straight draws on the flop, I would actually bet out 2/3 pot. And then push on turn. I don't think I would ever let villain see the river for free in this case because if he didn't hit anything, he would probably just fold. And if he calls, it's probably something that beats me (btw, would be the same scenario if a third diamond came up too). So you wouldn't make any extra money by slow-playing. So, if he's gonna fold anyways, might as well have him fold on flop, and if he's going to chase, then make him pay big for it on the turn.

• alejandrosh
      heads up we cbet every flop, flopping the nuts should be no exception. however if you want to slowplay do it on a no drawy board and you just can't check behind two times, doesn't make any sence and you don't build a pot.

is easier and better to bet/bet/bet your set.
    • Tim64
      Thanks guys. Maybe it will permeate into my neanderthal brain this time.

• Gerv

I never slowplay with a FD board or a Connected board.

Now you see why checking twice is not good while checking once is questionable without stats.

I rather Bet than Check without stats since I only check for induce against a LAG which you cannot make out of him since you dont use stats.

So Bet-Bet-Bet is my recommendation.

Best regards,