[NL2-NL10] Struggling with an Elephant

• Tim64
      Hello all,

As I am just getting started with Elephant, I have a number of questions. I have been keeping an eye out for a manual on the software but can't find one. The link from the programme seems to just send you to the Elephant forum which only discusses particular issues of the day. If I am being stupid and there is a manual which can help with the things below, please put me straight. In the absence of that, it would be really helpful if anyone could help me with me answers to the following queries (or at least point me in the right direction):

1 . Can anyone explain to me Aggression Factor? I understand that it is the proportion of bets/raises: checks/calls but what does a given value mean in practical terms? For example, is any value greater than 1 'aggressive', or only values more than 2, or what? Furthermore, when might this be useful to know? Is it mainly used for deciding whether to bet post flop?

2 . In the middle of my screen when I have the HUD showing, there is a black panel in the middle with some more values. (In the panel it also says: "player filter 7-10"). Can anyone tell me whose values these are? And whereabouts in the options can I change this information (if I want to).

3 . Should I just use the standard 8 stats that Poker Strategy normally uses? Will I just confuse myself (at this early stage in my poker career ;) ) if I try to add more? If not, what others stats would be most useful for NL 25 SSS?

4 . In the part of Elephant where my hands are shown, I have worked out how to sort the hands either by the time they were played, or the amount of BBs lost or won etc. Is there any way of sorting them according to BB's won by steals? Or some other way of finding out whether my steals are overall profitable?

5. Elephant seems to divide the hands according to daily, or monthly, or yearly etc. This allows you to see whether a given day's play was profitable (+BB) according to a graph shown. However, I tend to play two or more separate sessions during a day and it would be helpful to me to find out whether a particular session was profitable. Is there any way of telling Elephant to isolate a particular session for the purposes of creating a graph? I can obviously find where the session starts and ends by looking at the time the hand was played but can I tell Elephant to look at just the hands within that time period, when producing a graph?

6. Last but not least, in the setup page there is a path to Equilator (which I have also installed on my PC). I'm guessing that there is a clever function which allows you to take a hand which you played and send it to Equilator to find out whether you have the right odds to make whatever decision you made. Any assistance in using this function, please? In the path, what do I need to put?

Thanks awfully,
  • 4 replies
    • Gerv
      Hi Tim64,

I cannot answer all questions since I dont use the new Elephant but

1. = http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/article/790 , it is explaining the Agg Factor

2. That panel is meant to show you the Table Stats (Average VPIP/PFR & Average Pot). An Average VPIP of 8 is bad while Avg. VPIP of 20 is good ;)

3. Yes, stick to my answer of question 1, those stats

4. I dont think that's possible with Elephant, maybe the Analysis tab but with PT/HEM I know for sure that's possible

5. The only method I think is possible is to write in a Word Document how many hands session 1 was and than from there on, count those hands on the graph as session 2. with the Y axis where the line is currently at as Y=0

6. No idea - dont use that on FTP since you get banned

Best regards,
    • williamtywong
      6. I think you can use it as long as you're using it in review afterwards, and not live during the hand. In the path, you need to put directory where you installed equilator.

oh yeah..after you do that, in order to use the equilator, you go to the hands tab, then right click on a particular hand in the list of hands, then you'll see the words equilator, then click.
    • Tim64
      Hi Will,

Thanks - that is what I meant. Not to use at the time of the hand - only afterwards. Would never have time to do it while I was playing :P

Cheers mate!

Thanks Gerv, for you answers, too. Any help with the missing bits would be great if anyone out there in Forumland knows...

• philmcallister
      Can anyone please add me on skype and explain step by step how i can get it to run, i have it downloaded it is running, but the only thing that comes up when i play is a black thing saying 'please check your settinsg for the handhistory path' on my table. The software wont record my history or run, all i have done is downloaded it typed in the code and ran it, nothing else. I have no idea what to do to get it running.
      anyone who knows how to get it to run, can you please add me on skype, my name is dontbustagain from UK