This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Curing gambling addiction with NL Holdem

• nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Hi Guys, my name is Milan and I am a 33YO guy from Belgrade, Serbia.

I started playing Holdem in 2008, and kept a blog here on PS from 2013. Whining around micros - GRODT Completed, but still on micros (NL5,NL10,NL25 6MAX) so you can find a lot about my career there.

The explanation of the blog title can also be found in my last post on previous blog, a short version of it being: Spent all the money ever won from poker on sports betting and blackjack, now seeking redemption and solving a gambling problem!

So, since I have a full time job, I cannot play poker for 8 hours every day, but will try to have a daily average of 3h, updating this blog weekly with results, and start adding other stuff as I get back into blogging routine!

GL @ the tables
  • 28 replies
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      From my perspective starting with this program it was very weird, after 10 years of playing poker, after days of having 1k swings on blackjack, this was a totally new dimension for me. Fun fact is that I have never before played NL2, and as the time passed, i learned to appreciate every 0.01$ that I put into the table.

Anyhow here is my graph from 40k hands played on NL2

Maybe it was because of good decisions, maybe I was running hot, but a 16bb/100 over 40k hands is something I am very pleased with.

Last night I played my first NL5 session (first after joining CFP), and I was so money scared, and frightened that I even managed to fold the nuts OTR:

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $5.13 (102.6 bb)
      BB: $5 (100 bb)
      UTG: $6.01 (120.2 bb)
      MP: $6.62 (132.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $6.75 (135 bb)
      BTN: $5.25 (105 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Qd: :Ad:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 2 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) :Td: :6s: :Qs: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.23, BB calls $0.23

Turn: ($0.78) :Jd: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.56, BB calls $0.56

River: ($1.90) :3d: (2 players)
      BB bets $1.82, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.90 pot ($0.08 rake)
      Final Board: :Td: :6s: :Qs: :Jd: :3d:
      BB mucked and won $1.82 ($0.88 net)
      Hero mucked :Qd: :Ad: and lost (-$0.94 net)

Hopefully this is the first and last of those!

Back to learning and grinding!

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Anyhow I have been heavy grinding these past 10 days, and did not feel like I had something important to share. Just standard grinding, with its ups (when I follow guidelines) and downs (when I try to improvise). It is hard to change some habits, and its a real struggle sometimes, but I am determined to continue and not give up!

When I compare my graph from NL2 and NL5 there are some serious differences, the swings on NL5 are mostly caused by the fact that I am trying to be a smart ass and after I realize how bad my plays were, I tighten up and cover the losses.

Adapting to different kind of players is the most difficult, and for people who think that players and fish on micros are all the same I can just say that they are sooo wrong. While fish on NL2 goes to showdown with 2nd pair just by call call call, fish on NL5 will donk, raise and do all weird stuff and its a bit harder to play with mediocre hands, so I need to have more patience!

I am still playing on Stars, cause I used some deposit bonuses, but from April I will start hunting FDBs and RBs all over the platforms so I will have to get more familiar with some table selection and table finder softwares.

In the meantime this is how to train your nerves:
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $7.65 (153 bb)
      BB: $5.45 (109 bb)
      UTG: $5.04 (100.8 bb)
      MP: $6.61 (132.2 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)
      BTN: $3.55 (71 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Kh: :Ad:
      CO posts BB OOP, 2 folds, CO checks, BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB raises to $2, CO folds, Hero raises to $7.65 and is all-in, BB calls $3.45 and is all-in

Flop: ($10.95) :5d: :Qc: :2d: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($10.95) :7c: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($10.95) :2c: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $10.95 pot ($0.45 rake)
      Final Board: :5d: :Qc: :2d: :7c: :2c:
      Hero showed :Kh: :Ad: and lost (-$5.45 net)
      BB showed :6d: :7s: and won $10.50 ($5.05 net)

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      After testing and asking support for help on how to actually upload the image, here are the graphs mentioned in previous posts

NL2 graph

NL5 graph

It looks like I’m going to hang out with NL5 gang for a while, just to learn some basic things, and lower my NL2 ego!

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Welcome April!

Soo, after March finished I was able to withdraw some money from Stars, and used it to deposit on another platform. They fucked me up for FDB, as they claim its too late for that as I opened my account about two moths ago, and should have deposited in the next 30 days. However even without it I have close to 50% of rakeback and it should be a good bankroll boost by the end of the month.

There is little action during day hours but in the evening there is a solid field to play 4-6 tables at NL5.

From these first sessions I notice that its easier to implement NoBS guide here vs Stars, as players are more straight forward, they don’t play mind games like some Stars fish. (So far 😀 )

I left some money on Stars and played this new format Split holdem. Its like someone asked me for a type of poker that can attract a lot of gamblers and make a very soft field! The down side of it is that the rake is huge, and since there are many chopped pots on two board game, Stars are just praying “come fish, fish, fish”. I love it, and I hate it guess that’s why they call it Split Holdem!

My volume is great these days, manage to average 5 hours in last 5 days. Also a nice profit is there.

Goals:

Realistic:

-80 hours play
      -15 boothcamp chapters
      -4 live coachings
      -8 blog updates
      -30 hands posted
      -500 uhlvar hands

Optimistic:

-100 hours play
      -25 boothcamp chapters
      -8 live coachings
      -15 blog updates
      -100 hands posted
      -1000 uhlvar hands

Side goals:
      – Get nominated for blog of the month
      – Finish tilt free today course

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Happy Easter to all Orthodox brothers!

So after talking to coach I was advised (and I am totally ok with that) to play Split holdem with separate bankroll, so according to that I will separate the goals and results for it as well!

Today is Sunday, and I think it is a bad day for writing blog and updates, as it is the day with most active tables, so from now on updates will be on Monday!

But here are the updates for first week of April:

-24/80 hours play
      -2/15 boothcamp chapters
      -2/4 live coachings
      -2/8 blog updates
      -8/30 hands posted
      -121/500 uhlvar hands

Learn how to put results in spoiler when posting a hand (this is the main goal )

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      I dont know if my update was successful cause i don’t see it in the thread so I will do it again (aaaaaaaggghhhhh)

So my mid week update is going to be with graphs and pictures

My so far April NL5 graph

The field is very similar to the NL2 at Stars many limpers and guys stacking off with TPGK, so I adapted quickly.

As for the split holdem I decided to call it a version of holdem and a skill game opposite to its actual being a game of luck and a gambling game.

And gamblers get lucky for sure

Other than that, You just cant resist playing vs these opponents:

Will do my best to continue this way, but its hard as my full time work is piling up, but I did but a usb modem and now I can play on my laptop, while I’m in the city “working”.

GL @ the tables
    • Team0zum
      Team0zum
      Bronze
      WIth a rough 17bb/100 rake and splitting pots just paying rake I think it cannot be EV+. But then again when Spins came they said its just paying rake and people make shittonne money there. So who knows...maybe this rakemachine will be profitable for someone.
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      So lets update these goalz!

-41/80 hours play
      -3/15 boothcamp chapters
      -2/4 live coachings
      -3/8 blog updates
      -8/30 hands posted
      -211/500 uhlvar hands

Learn how to put results in spoiler when posting a hand (this is the main goal )

I am settling in the NL5 crowd, and blending very nicely. Due to some bonus releases I played some FF NL5, but I played it as tight as 14/11, which is profitable but boring. I think its too much play needed for a 5$ bonus so I might give it up.

Another intersting thing today I brought my laptop to work and played around 90mins/1000hands earning 2$, so PROFIT! Tried to find time in beetween as well as place suitable for grinding.

I did not play split holdem at all as I wanted to spend all possible hours on NL5 grind, and I did miss it a little, hope to find time for it in upcoming weeks.

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Team0zum
      WIth a rough 17bb/100 rake and splitting pots just paying rake I think it cannot be EV+. But then again when Spins came they said its just paying rake and people make shittonne money there. So who knows...maybe this rakemachine will be profitable for someone.
      Its the player pool that makes it +EV. I think it attracts many gamblers that could not wait for good hands at regular holdem, and this way they double their chance of hitting a good had (and splitting pot, losing money on rake :f_o: ) Maybe I was running good, but I managed to get some stacks from :f_confused:

Gl @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      So I did manage to average 1k hands past 7 days despite being super busy at work. Yesterday I was supposed to prepare hands for coaching and go over them in first small group coaching, but unfortunately I was super busy whole day. I did bring my laptop to work, and I did attend webinar in listen only mode (was late some 10mins), and hopefully we’ll arrange some new timings for those coachings and I will be able to devote to it 100%.

Graph for this month on NL5

Regarding split holdem I only managed to play one session, earned a few bucks, but I don’t have time to play more. 🙁

I am slacking in watching videos and posting hands severely, and I manage to do some Uhlvar equity every other day!

So to sum it up, I am glad that it keeps me motivated to play every day even thou there are tons of work for me to do, and whenever I find some free time I try to play a session of poker! Even doing this update is a great progress for me.

That is it for now

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      -50/80 hours play
      -4/15 boothcamp chapters
      -3/4 live coachings
      -5/8 blog updates
      -8/30 hands posted
      -211/500 uhlvar hands

– Learn how to put results in spoiler when posting a hand (this is the main goal )

9 hours in total for the whole week, studied even less. I don’t have any other excuses except work!

The struggle I am having could not be described in words right now. I need to settle it up in my mind first and then I might be able to write it in the blog.
      I got drunk on Friday, came home and spewed 400$ on BJ (my whole roll on Stars). I hate myself so much for this!

I know I am better than this, and I will prove it!

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Lets call this a pre monthly update!

-60/80 hours play UNHAPPY
      -6/15 boothcamp chapters VERY UNHAPPY
      -5/4 live coachings VERY HAPPY
      -9/8 blog updates HAPPY
      -8/30 hands posted VERY UNHAPPY
      -211/500 uhlvar hands UNHAPPY

– Get nominated for blog of the month FAIL (they nominated a guy who stopped updating on April 17th)
      – Finish tilt free today course DONE
      – Learn how to put results in spoiler when posting a hand (this is the main goal ) DONE

Last 10 days of poker going like this

What is most important is that this is my busiest time of year and I managed to put in at least half an hour into poker every day! I am still making plans to enable myself more grinding and studying hours. I am very optimistic and despite this bad run I know I can turn this around.

Monday or Wednesday I will come up with May goalz and try to achieve most of them!

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      Ok, so April is over. Results in poker for me could be best described in this hand:

Party, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $6.33 (126.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.29 (105.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.29 (125.8 bb)
      MP: $6.44 (128.8 bb)
      CO: $4.21 (84.2 bb)
      BTN: $5.80 (116 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :Ah: :Ad:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.20, BTN raises to $0.60, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.65, CO calls $1.45, BTN folds

Flop: ($3.92) :2c: :7s: :Jd: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.86, CO raises to $2.56 and is all-in, Hero calls $0.70

Turn: ($9.04) :Kc: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($9.04) :7c: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $9.04 pot ($0.45 rake)
      Final Board: :2c: :7s: :Jd: :Kc: :7c:
      Hero showed :Ah: :Ad: and lost (-$4.21 net)
      CO showed :3c: :7h: and won $8.59 ($4.38 net)

So what I am looking for in the month of May is some turning point. To make that possible I will make some goals tougher to reach, so here they are:

Optimistic

-80 hours play
      -15 boothcamp chapters
      -6 live coachings
      -15 blog updates
      -30 hands posted
      -600 uhlvar hands

– Start NoBS poker math
      – Start working out in gym
      – 1 whole day off work and poker to devote to family

Very optimistic

-120 hours play
      -30 boothcamp chapters
      -8 live coachings
      -30 blog updates
      -60 hands posted
      -1000 uhlvar hands

– Get rewarded for blog of the month
      – Finish NoBS poker math
      – Exercise 3 times per week
      – 2 whole days off work and poker to devote to family

Anything less than 80% of optimistic goals will be considered a fail and would result in a penalty of yet to be decided (any suggestions?)!

All of this is very optimistic as I am already behind since yesterday was Labor Day and I only managed to put in one session when I got back home, but I did attend live coaching and even presented hands that I prepared!

I am definitely not ready for all this, but lets do it anyway 😀

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      2nd May update

Monthly results:
      -3/80 hours play
      -0/15 boothcamp chapters
      -1/6 live coachings
      -1/15 blog updates
      -2/30 hands posted
      -30/600 uhlvar hands

I have to try and describe the feeling that I currently have. I have hit stop loss tonight after a 2 hour session, and I feel happy! Its not like my game was terrible, nor it was flawless, its just that I ran into some better ranges, lost a few coin flips, but overall felling is that I strongly believe this is the right path for me.

By joining CFP, my goal was not to make poker my main income, since my regular job pays just fine, and I can make a living out of it. My main goal is to understand game better, and get better in every segment of it possible.

As you can see in my monthly goals, not one is money oriented, and that is the plan all the way trough. Learning material is everywhere around here, and I just need to use it the right way and results will come!

Gl @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      3rd May update

Monthly results:
      -5/80 hours play
      -1/15 boothcamp chapters
      -2/6 live coachings
      -2/15 blog updates
      -3/30 hands posted
      -60/600 uhlvar hands

So everything is going in the right direction except for results, but as mentioned they are the least important ones. These boothcamp chapters with specific hands are not that addictive as the ones from preflop to river, and its taking me more time to finish them. I also started the No BS math and thats distracting me every time I enter courses, and I also started analysing hands using Equilab now (ranges that I put villain on are not that accurate, but its new for me, and I am learning and enjoying it).

These 3 days I spent more hours learning than playing, so now lets do 3 days of more playing.

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      4-6 May weekend update

Monthly results:
      -10/80 hours play
      -3/15 boothcamp chapters
      -2/6 live coachings
      -3/15 blog updates
      -5/30 hands posted
      -90/600 uhlvar hands

On Friday played two sessions, did some UE exercise, Saturday was working from 9AM-11PM so no poker whole day, and Sunday managed to play two morning sessions, and in the evening when got back from work and two patron saint celebrations, tried to play another session but my eyes were just closing, so left with 2$ rake short of making 5$ RB weekly from Party Poker.

This morning saw notifications that coach Leandroos reviewed some of my hands in his video, and man did he trash me. Basically he said I overthink and complicate too much (which is not new for me), and that I should not analyze too deep when a hand is lost vs fish (if played by the book) just move on and stack them off next time. Maybe my recent bad run got me to think too much about every hand I lose, but the whole point is that with good volume I will not be able to turn back to every hand lost, and I will try and clear my mind from overthinking and realize that its just NL5!

This week I should be able to put more volume as my work schedule is not that packed, and will try to update every day till weekend.

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      7th May

Monthly results:
      -15/80 hours play
      -3/15 boothcamp chapters
      -2/6 live coachings
      -4/15 blog updates
      -5/30 hands posted
      -120/600 uhlvar hands

Finally a day with 4+ hours of grind. Results are still in red, and I do make a lot of fishy plays, really struggling atm and questioning myself if I am capable of doing this after all.

But when You see guys stacking off like this

Party, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold’em Cash, 5 Players

Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager – The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $8.91 (178.2 bb)

BB: $7.44 (148.8 bb)

MP: $6.59 (131.8 bb)

Hero (CO): $5.37 (107.4 bb)

BTN: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Kc: :Qc:

MP raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, BTN folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds

Flop: ($0.65) :2s: :9c: :9h: (3 players)

SB bets $0.46, MP raises to $1.23, Hero folds, SB raises to $4.06, MP raises to $6.39 and is all-in, SB calls $2.33

Turn: ($13.43) :Qh: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

River: ($13.43) :3c: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $13.43 pot ($0.67 rake)

Final Board: :2s: :9c: :Qc: :Qh: :3c:

SB showed :Td: :2d: and lost (-$6.59 net)

MP showed :Ac: :2h: and won $12.76 ($6.17 net)

Hero mucked :Kc: :Qc: and lost (-$0.20 net)

my only goal is to move from this limit so I’m not considered equal with these guys.

Just kidding I wish to stay here forever and feed from these fishes

Lets try and play it by the book without exceptions for a week and see where it leads me 😀

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      8th and 9th May

Monthly results:
      -21/80 hours play
      -4/15 boothcamp chapters
      -3/6 live coachings
      -6/15 blog updates
      -5/30 hands posted
      -180/600 uhlvar hands

With hours being a bit behind schedule, and totally lagging in hand posting, You could say the rest is going in its course. Except for the results:

I still feel that this is a downswing, and that I am not making some huge mistakes. I am going a bit off NoBS sometimes, but without any big influence. In coaching session today I will show some critical hands, and see if there were some big mistakes.

There is plenty of time to turn this month around, and even if not, lets just make the most of it, learn and progress, I am sure results will come!

GL @ the tables
    • nmilan84
      nmilan84
      Bronze
      10-12th May

Monthly results:
      -30/80 hours play
      -5/15 boothcamp chapters
      -3(4)/6 live coachings
      -7/15 blog updates
      -5/30 hands posted
      -210/600 uhlvar hands

Made some nice hours, used coaching to present some critical hands and most of coach Matic comments were “Well played”, and some hands my answers and observations about hands were pretty much the same as his, so at least I can say that besides making a lot of mistakes, I am noticing them in hand reviewing.

Again there was a hand today that could describe my poker month:

Party, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $2.95 (59 bb)
      BB: $2.29 (45.8 bb)
      Hero (MP): $6.33 (126.6 bb)
      CO: $11.48 (229.6 bb)
      BTN: $5.06 (101.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with :Ac: :Ad:
      Hero raises to $0.15, CO folds, BTN raises to $0.46, SB folds, BB calls $0.41, Hero raises to $6.33 and is all-in, BTN calls $4.60 and is all-in, BB calls $1.83 and is all-in

Flop: ($12.43) :2h: :Kd: :3s: (3 players, 3 are all-in)
      Turn: ($12.43) :7s: (3 players, 3 are all-in)
      River: ($12.43) :5s: (3 players, 3 are all-in)

Results: $12.43 pot ($0.62 rake)
      Final Board: :2h: :Kd: :3s: :7s: :5s:
      BB showed :Qd: :Qs: and lost (-$2.29 net)
      Hero showed :Ac: :Ad: and lost (-$5.06 net)
      BTN showed :Kh: :Ks: and won $11.81 ($6.75 net)

With BPC points, cashback, and bonus clearing I am loking at around 60% rakeback so at least at the end of the month I will have some positive things to show in my results.

By the way the new hand reviewing section in dashboard is a nice edition, I just need to find time and post hands on the forum!

Since I am too tired next time I’ll try and write about webinar experience and value of those live coachings.

GL @ the tables