This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The simplest advanced way of thinking as a poker player.

• DiahrehaMouthHole
      DiahrehaMouthHole
      Basic
      I've found that the only thing I need to learn how to do is quickly calculate my chances of winning the hand before flop, after flop, turn, river. The chances of winning changes after every addition of a card and chances always go up every time someone folds. This is the most important thing I can do for myself as a poker player. If anyone out there is interested in coming up with our own method to calculate chances of winning in our head help me here this is going to be my home base for this type of poker thinking.

The goal is to only be able to accurately predict my chances of winning in percentile format.

BTW I know there are a 1000 guides on how to calculate your all the odds but there is nothing that tells me how to calculate my exact chances of winning a hand quickly they all are just not good enough.
  • 6 replies
    • Potamito
      Potamito
      Gold
      Is almost impossible to come up with the exact math in your head while playing specially since and most likely you wont be playing just one table, this is why we have to run as many spot/situations as possible using any EV calculator out there to be as familiar as possible with each of the most common situations, draw a line what would be our core strategy and adjust from there.
      For me personally, trying to develop a accurate hand resding skill is far more important that getting better at knowing the exact number at the table i know a lot of people that have no knowledge about the math related to poker but have a natural talent to read hands that do pretty damn well, not saying that math isnt important just saying that investing more time in developing your hand reading skrill it should be more important.
    • xxnub
      xxnub
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Potamito
      Is almost impossible to come up with the exact math in your head while playing specially since and most likely you wont be playing just one table, this is why we have to run as many spot/situations as possible using any EV calculator out there to be as familiar as possible with each of the most common situations, draw a line what would be our core strategy and adjust from there.
      For me personally, trying to develop a accurate hand resding skill is far more important that getting better at knowing the exact number at the table i know a lot of people that have no knowledge about the math related to poker but have a natural talent to read hands that do pretty damn well, not saying that math isnt important just saying that investing more time in developing your hand reading skrill it should be more important.
      I agree with you hand reading is far superior skill than calculating precisely plain math odds. In my opinion the best way is to remember odds for certain spots. For example you will hit set less than once If you see flop 8 times or precisely (2/50+2/49+2/48 ) 0,122482993.
    • 3peat
      3peat
      Bronze
      I like the way you say everything :D but It's kinda not sweet as it seems
    • patrickschmidt81
      patrickschmidt81
      Bronze
      I mostly agree with you. To know your chances to win a hand is important. But there are some other important points to be able to to be a flexible poker player. These are, for example, psychology, variety of hands you are playing, the ability to read other players mind to predict if those are playing a winning hand or a losing hand. So I dont calculate winning chances at each time i play a hand.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      To calculate your odds for winning, you need to put your opponent on a range. And to do that postflop requires a lot of other skills. Sorry to tell you, but there are not short cuts to learn poker to high level. :f_drink:
    • STLfan
      STLfan
      Basic
      I always use word association to flank how thoughts are used to define what is.

I also like to use multiple concepts away from the table to further understanding dynamics along in my game.

The first two factors, first is us, the second is them, the third factor is what is.

Some cases we already know what is, others are made by how the opponent understands what is in moments when they define before we have the last action.

The more opponents in the hand the more expensive it will become.

In some cases the more aggressive I become the easier it is to read, then some dynamics are those of being patient, letting the table dynamics come to your game.

Individual dynamics are those of understanding of where I left off with who and how they played then playing off this dynamic as well.

Then using reads of ranges and exact hands for special situations.