SnG STT review - 89s from BB

• Arnalsan
      Arnalsan
      Silver
      Hey,

MP villain: Vpip 68/Pfr29 - open limping a lot with hands as 52, Q2, T8, etc,.
      Preflop: I called because he gave 3,5-1odds as was a cheap call.
      Flop: I had a top pair and I checked/called, but check/raise would be a good option to protect my hand against possible straight draw.
      Turn: a blanked card I decided to not lead donkbeting
      River: mental game problem --- shoving here.

Poker Stars, $0.44 Buy-in (15/30 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 2,555 (85.2 bb)
      Hero (BB): 1,335 (44.5 bb)
      UTG: 4,620 (154 bb)
      MP: 2,095 (69.8 bb)
      CO: 1,455 (48.5 bb)
      BTN: 1,440 (48 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :8h: :9h:
      UTG folds, MP raises to 60, 3 folds, Hero calls 30

Flop: (135) :6s: :5c: :9s: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets 120, Hero calls 120

Turn: (375) :4d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: (375) :2h: (2 players)
      Hero bets 1,155 and is all-in, MP folds

Results:
      375 pot
      Final Board: :6s: :5c: :9s: :4d: :2h:
      Hero mucked :8h: :9h: and won 375 (195 net)
      MP mucked and lost (-180 net)
  • 4 replies
    • Mayb3n0T
      Mayb3n0T
      Silver
      So the call preflop seems good to me. Being out of position vs an agressive player postflop check-calling seems a good strategy. Calling this bet size could be a difficult decision but against an agressive player i call and evaluate turn. On river you don't win much with that shove, he calls only with better hands than yours. Here i think you can bet between 1/3 or 1/2, if he shoves you have an easy fold and it allows him to call with Kxs, Jx.....

Cumps ;)
    • Arnalsan
      Arnalsan
      Silver
      Thanks to comment! really he'll just calls my bet on river just with better hands.

Originally posted by Mayb3n0T
      So the call preflop seems good to me. Being out of position vs an agressive player postflop check-calling seems a good strategy. Calling this bet size could be a difficult decision but against an agressive player i call and evaluate turn. On river you don't win much with that shove, he calls only with better hands than yours. Here i think you can bet between 1/3 or 1/2, if he shoves you have an easy fold and it allows him to call with Kxs, Jx.....

Cumps ;)
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Everything looks standard except the river. If you want to have some value a half pot bet is big enough. Now you are changing your hand in a bluff and it’s already tough enough for him to have to many better hands and makes a shove useless.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • nutural
      nutural
      Silver
      Pre and versus such player it's ok to defend here.

It would also be good to know his Post Flop Aggression Factor.

OTF i like the check/call line, and I think the check/raise would be a bit of an overkill here with so low blinds and so low stakes.

Hand wise it might be right, tournament equity wise does not sound attractive to me at this stage.

OTT, you have already mentioned that it's an issue. We are turning our hand to a bluff and allowing that if we are unlucky and he has an 3x we pay him off big time. I think I prefer bet 1/2 or 2/3 and fold to a big raise.