This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

This time ... it didn´t work out!

• Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      Greetings to all pokerstrategists :f_drink:

my name is Daniel, I am 28 and this is supposed to be my little blog where I will whine about setups, bad beats and general unluckiness :f_biggrin: Now seriously. I have not played online poker for almost 4 years and I am starting from scratch again. I made it from NL2 to NL25 last time but decided to quit in the end.

Never mind. This is a new fresh start for me, back on NL2 again, on Pokerstars. I have played 2 sessions so far which were mainly about setting everything (HUD, table layouts) and getting the feeling of playing poker again. It feels good actually. All of the things I used to know are slowly coming back to me. But it will take some time before I will play as I used to. In the two sessions I played 26/21/11, pretty loose I´d say. But I plan on playing like this in the future because I feel comfortable being agrressive and a little bit more loose (people on NL2 are very passive and exploitable).

I do not have any real ambitions. If I improve myself and go up the limits then great but if not, nothing happens. I have a full time job, a wife, a dog and poker will be one of my hobbies. I do not want to do it for living but I wouldnt mind making some extra cash one day of course :f_tongue:

To sum it up, I will play on Pokerstars - NL2 SH (there is no other room active in the Czech Republic anyway). They have a nic bankroll booster though. A deposit bonus of 40 dollars which is released in 3 installments after just basically opening the tables and playing a few hands. Wont complain :f_thumbsup: I play with HM2 and basic HUD with statistics such as VPIP/PFR/3bet. Just to be able to categorize players. I want to be active here on Pokerstrategy and make the most of it. I would like to make regular updates of this blog on weekly basis.

Wish me luck :f_drink:
  • 32 replies
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Oh a fellow Czech Grinder!
      Welcome sir!

Hope to see you on tuesdays in twitch chat
      maybe some of the current Pokerstrategy micro grinders can inspire you :)
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      Hi Lemon, thank you for the welcome. I most certainly will be there :f_thumbsup:
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      The end of March is here and I would like to summarize my feelings so far and make myself a plan on how I will play and improve.

I have played 4 sessions, 3,2k hands in total. My feelings are kinda mixed. At the beginning I thought that I was playing well enough to beat NL2 and I felt comfortable. But the last session today was quite a "turn off" :D . I lost 5 BI. Nothing went well. My strong hands were not paid, I got KK vs AA setup, my bluffs were unsuccessful bla bla bla, I guess you know the story. The result does not actually matter. What matters is that I realized that I am not sure if I played well or not. I guess it will take some time to be able to evaluate my own game. Here is what I plan on doing and what I know I have been doing badly which I can fix right away.

Need to change immediately:

:diamond: Number of tables I play. Today I played 6 at some point and I feel it was too much. It should be no more than 4.
      :diamond: The length of sessions. All of them were longer than 2 hours which is too much now.
      :diamond: Set a stop loss limit. 3 BIs per session and 5BIs per day.
      :diamond: Tighten up a bit. I have been playing 25/20/9 and I guess it is too loose for a beginner. I end up in many marginal situations which are difficult for me to solve properly.
      :diamond: Bluff less. I have tried a lot of 4bet or check/raise bluffs. Guess what, it does not work on NL2. :f_o: Or maybe I cant use it properly but the outcome is the same. It can wait.

How I plan to improve:

:heart: Study a lot. I dont think this is a problem. I like watching videos, reading articles, posting hands and taking notes. I have a special OneNote sheet for poker which is already filling up.
      :heart: Play enough.
      :heart: Prepare myself for the fact that it will be a long run.
      :heart: Apply all of the points above. :coolface:

I am not going to post any screens of my stats or graphs or anything. It is too early for that. My current result is -2BI which does not mean anything. It can be just variance, it can be me entirely incompetent, whatever. Will see at the end of April. That might be more relevant. My main goal for the next month is not to bust.

Current bankroll:

Deposit: 28$
      Deposit bonus: 40$
      Profit/loss: -4$

Bankroll: 64$
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      It doesn't seem productive to play 4+ tables until you can achieve a solid winrate at 2.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      I never play more than 3-4tables personally, and haven't for about a year and a half
      I feel like there's never a reason to play more unless you are happy where you are and/or need to simply withdraw the money frequently and what you make isn't enough.

Same goes for session lenght, Up to 2 hours without a break is normal, you can find your personal limit by monitoring how you play
      i find if you feel good, have good tables, are winning then you go for them 4+hr sessions

Tight, less bluffs yeah that's the way to go at NL2

Oh and OneNote you can use much further, I think you're the first one who mentioned also using it
      I literally don't know anyone else in the poker world haha
      I have it set up like this

And definitely post hands in the hand forum
      One of our up and coming coaches recently made a guide on how to do it :)
      https://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/44669/

glgl
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Silver
      Yeah.. 6?? You're missing all the reads and other subtle stuff that's going on. If I'm running bad I go to 3, else 4 (sometimes I play 6 but that's just for the fun of it, not for the winrate).

25/20/9 is by itself a little bit 'non saying'. Most of it *should* come from CO or BTN.. when not 'there is your problem'.

Understand stats and understand how players with those stats play.
      For instance: A 40/2/1 player lives from sucking. Totally possible for him to have 57 off in a 4A8K6 board (while you have AK)
      A 23/17/5 player will never (...) have a 57 off in the same spot.

For 2NL: If players start stuffing the pot, they have the (almost) nuts 9 out of 10 times.

Good luck!
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      Thank you all.

@Lemon. So you are from the Czech Republic (Czech expressions in your OneNote) :f_biggrin: . I wasnt sure as you said "a fellow Czech grinder" if you meant you are Czech too or not. Anyway your OneNote is great, I have just a few pages so far. Thank you for all of the good advice. I am already active in the hand evaluation forum and will keep posting and commenting.

@RubbyDubby. Yeah you are right I felt it, too. From now on I will play 4 tables tops. As for position analysis, I ran it in HM2 (3,7k hands so far) and my most problematic seems to be SB now (-5,5 BIs). I know blinds are not the positions where one should make most of his profit, but this is too much. On the other hand, at least 3 BIs of these losses are variance such as KK vs AA, QQ vs 89o vs maniac and QQ vs 79s (OESD OTF all-in which he hit OTT of course). But other than that I feel that I call too much from SB which falls into the category where I should tighten up.

What bothers me more is 1BI loss from the BU which should be the most profitable position. But again it is just 700 hands now, it could be variance. On the button there is a KK vs AA as well. These are my positions stats now.

All in all when look at the big pots, it seems that I have been running somewhat bad. I have had the KK vs AA setup twice. I got just one preflop AI with AA and guess what, he had AA too :f_cool: And stuff like that.
    • RubbyDubby
      RubbyDubby
      Silver
      Hi Dandiiik

3,7K hands is nothing.. Here my first ~3,7K hands (and a peep into my winnings at 2NL ;) )

I still have no clue what one could call a 'big enough' sample size. I think 25K should give you a good idea.
      When the line overall still goes down after 25K you probably have to adjust.

Again,

Good luck!
    • patrickschmidt81
      patrickschmidt81
      Bronze
      :D thats great.
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Silver
      Passing by to wish you good luck with your challenge ! :f_thumbsup:
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      @Agapie: thank you and good luck to you too :f_drink:

I "little problem" has appeared. Probably I will not be able to collect strategy points which is what I was afraid of from the beginning. I have been playing for 4 days now and I have not received any points yet. I created my PS account a year ago after Pokerstars finally got their license for the Czech market. But I dont remember whether I created it through PSGY or not anymore. I guess not because I cant find the "Information sharing" section in my PS client. :f_cry:

Never mind. I have enough basic and bronze PSGY materials to study anyway. If I improve over time I can just buy higher status I guess :f_rolleyes:
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      A little tip if you don't have status:
      If you go to live coachings you can see them regardless of status
      just follow https://www.twitch.tv/pokerstrategydotcom to know when they are live
      I tune in to other coaches' streams all the time myself :)
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      A little tip if you don't have status:
      If you go to live coachings you can see them regardless of status
      just follow https://www.twitch.tv/pokerstrategydotcom to know when they are live
      I tune in to other coaches' streams all the time myself :)
      I've noticed this in the past. Doesn't this decrease the value of said paid memberships?
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      A week is gone and its time for a little recap. I am still not busto, which is great :f_love: I have been trying to fulfill the bullet points I listed above. I play a little tighter and less fancy preflop. I have set myself preflop ranges by Weazel which I follow against regs. I play only 3 tables which is optimal. Its enough action but I still manage to focus. 4 are too much yet and 2 are too few. When I play on 2 tables I get bored start doing fancy stuff.

I have noticed and learned a few things in the last week:

:heart: There are still many fish in the pond.
      :heart: It is difficult to play against maniacs especially when they are on your left. That is something I have to avoid because it is high variance play.
      :heart: It is forbidden to play on pokerstars with open Equilab. Which is shame because I had put my ranges in it before I found out :f_rolleyes:
      :heart: I can gather psgy points even without PS account being connected by being active in the hand evaluation forum. That is a nice promotion which will enable me to be silver in May. And basic-silver materials will be enough for me up to NL25 at least.
      :heart: I enjoy analyzing hands. Both in the forum and in my HM2.
      :heart: I need to be able to stop playing when I am tired or not focused anymore. If I dont stop, my redline usually starts to go to hell.

All in all I try to play solid TAG style poker. In the last few days it has even brought some tangible results. I am 6BIs up since the last update. But that is really not important. The most important thing for me is to focus on improving myself.

I have seen couple of videos but one of the best so far was Allen86 Hand History Review by W34z3l. Besides many valuable insights and pieces of information (which I all wrote down) he said one very important thing:
      Most of the mistakes in poker arise in situations in which we shouldnt even be in the first place!
      I am trying to think of this anytime I am playing. It helps me focus and be solid preflop which prevents me from getting into too many difficult situations postflop. Also No limit beginners course series by fellow Czech grinder Confidant91 are great. Pretty basic stuff but that is exactly what I need right now. (my OneNote is filling up).

Played hands: 8600
      Current bankroll: 76$
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      Time for a little update. I have played a little over 10k hands now and I thought it might be good point to sit down and do some basic analysis in order to find obvious leaks in my game which I should remove immediately if I want to increase my winrate. Here I would like to ask anybody for help. What should I actually look for? I mean I play NL2, I am basically a beginner so I should not try to find whether I am balanced enough in check/raising river or if I 4bet bluff enough and stuff like that. So far I have looked at my biggest losses, 15 hands where I lost a half a stack to full stack and I found out that I might actually overplay some medium strength hands. Because you know:
      Big pots are for big hands, small pots are for small hands!
      Just see a few examples where I think I overplayed my hand or played badly in general and lost a full stack:
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2.06 (103 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      MP: $2 (100 bb)
      CO: $2.64 (132 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.13 (156.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :Ah: :Kc:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.14) :Js: :Ac: :Tc: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.46) :8h: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44

River: ($1.34) :2h: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.40, SB calls $0.80 and is all-in

Results: $4.14 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: :Js: :Ac: :Tc: :8h: :2h:
      SB showed :Ts: :8d: and won $4 ($1.94 net)
      Hero showed :Ah: :Kc: and lost (-$2.06 net)

The river raise is definitely and overplay. I dont have any value there. Also I should consider raising flop maybe.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $2.05 (102.5 bb)
      BB: $4.19 (209.5 bb)
      UTG: $2.17 (108.5 bb)
      MP: $3 (150 bb)
      CO: $3.12 (156 bb)
      BTN: $4.13 (206.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Qc: :Qh:
      UTG raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.22, BB folds, UTG calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.46) :7c: :6h: :Ts: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

Turn: ($0.90) :Kh: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.44, Hero calls $0.44

River: ($1.78) :4d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $1.29 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.17 and is all-in

Results: $4.12 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: :7c: :6h: :Ts: :Kh: :4d:
      Hero showed :Qc: :Qh: and lost (-$2.05 net)
      UTG showed :8c: :9s: and won $3.98 ($1.93 net)

I dont know why I checked OTF actually. And call down of 3 barrels is not good. If they barrel 3 times, they almost always have a strong made hand!

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $3.10 (155 bb)
      BB: $2.10 (105 bb)
      MP: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $4.68 (234 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Ah: :Kc:
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.19, Hero calls $0.13

Flop: ($0.39) :Jc: :4c: :Kd: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.87) :2c: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.42, BB raises to $1.67 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.15 and is all-in

River: ($4.01) :Th: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $4.01 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: :Jc: :4c: :Kd: :2c: :Th:
      BB showed :Ac: :Ad: and won $3.87 ($1.87 net)
      Hero showed :Ah: :Kc: and lost (-$2 net)

The T is where it all went to hell. My bet maybe ok to protect my hand in case he tries to pot control with some A high flush draw or a KQo he was 3betting as a bluff. But I definitely wasted more than half of my stack by calling that shove. Check/shove T? Always a super strong hand on NL2!

Good news is that I have learned from this. I have tightened up a bit so I dont get into too many difficult decision post flop and I play for big pots only with strong hands. Sometimes there are situations where I can afford to play for a stack even with a weaker hand, but thats usually against a maniac. I think it might be working for me. I dont want to jinx it, I am just describing my current feelings. Since I started to play a little tighter, this is how my graph has looked like.

It may just be variance on my side, I know. But at least I am happy with my redline here which is not falling down straight to hell.

So besides large pots, do you have any tips on what I should review? Here is what I was thinking:

:club: Positions in general. Try to find out where I am most profitable and if its ok or not.
      :club: Cbets. Do I cbet enough? Are my cbets successful enough?
      :club: Review premium hands to find out whether I play them well? In the end what else should I be profitable with on NL2 than premium hands.
      :club: Stealing blinds. Do I steal enough and are my steals successful?
      :club: Unraised pots. There is a lot of limping on NL2. Maybe I am not aggressive enough in these spots.
      :club: Biggest losses and wins. Was it just variance or me being stupid or lucky?

Do you agree, disagree, would you review anything else? :f_drink:
    • ben002
      ben002
      Silver
      Hi Dandiiik,

I have also almost finished my first 10k hands. Very inspiring to see how you are approaching this. Seems very thought-out and methodical with this big general review now. I might just follow your footsteps with this. Poker analysis weekend! :f_cool:

Nice winnings with these last 2800 hands btw!
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      Hi Ben,

nice to see that I can be inspiring to someone :f_drink: After 10k hands it is not about finding the most detailed leaks but really just some basic stuff which could boost our winrate on micros. Do you have any blog of your own? You could post results of your analysis there and discuss the findings.

Btw. the winnings are just variance, and I guess I jinxed it :f_eek: :f_biggrin: :

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $5.04 (252 bb)
      BB: $2.08 (104 bb)
      UTG: $1.33 (66.5 bb)
      MP: $2.02 (101 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2.69 (134.5 bb)
      BTN: $2.56 (128 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with :Kc: :Jd:
      UTG calls $0.02, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BTN calls $0.08, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.27) :Js: :Tc: :Kh: (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.18, BTN raises to $0.36, UTG folds, Hero raises to $1, BTN calls $0.64

Turn: ($2.27) :8s: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.61, BTN calls $1.48 and is all-in

River: ($5.23) :Qd: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $5.23 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: :Js: :Tc: :Kh: :8s: :Qd:
      Hero showed :Kc: :Jd: and lost (-$2.56 net)
      BTN showed :Ks: :Qc: and won $5.05 ($2.49 net)
    • Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Silver
      So I took a look at my hands and found a few things:

Problem: sometimes I use bad leverage against a fish. In a spot where I should be able to extract a lot of value, I use bad sizing and either end up in a bad spot OTR where I have to overbetshove if I want the fish to go allin or I give him a good price for his draws which he gives up if missed and I lose value.
      Learning: before every bet (especially for value), try to quickly calculate how the pot is gonna grow and what the relative stack sizes gonna be.

Problem: my SB winnings are too bad. I am 8BIs down on SB after 2,3k hands. The problem is not when I try to steal BB, I am +3BI there. So I probably choose good spots to steal BB and play it solid. The problem is when someone raises before me and I get involved (-7BIs)! I play out of position and awfully many times have to just give up the pot. It kills my winrate. Other positions are ok. CO and BU are my most winning positions which fine.
      Learning: set a solid SB range for cold calls and 3bets and follow it. SB is the worst position at the table and if I add a passive play to it, it gets even worse.

Problem: 4bet bluffs dont work for me. 4bet bluff is not a tool I would use too often but sometimes I try it and mostly it doesnt work for me. I have found that I pick wrong spots like 4bet bluffing after my open raise on UTG or MP, so villains 3bet range is strong. Also my hands are sometimes not suitable for this and even villains are too tight for this.
      Learning: pick better spots for 4bet bluffing.

I am happy especially with the SB leak. It is something I can work on right now. :f_thumbsup:
    • ben002
      ben002
      Silver
      Hi!

Nice list! :f_thumbsup:
      I made a similiar one for my blog now. :f_grin:

I think I also could subscribe to your first and last point. I found it quite difficult to calculate the development of SPR for future streets on the fly. Do you know some quick way to do it?
      Weirdly enough my by far worst position seems to be the BTN when we leave out the blinds. Some coach here told me that a detailed positional analysis isn't very significant before 60k (i.e. 10k/position) hands. So I decided to delay my trouble with it. Probably you also didn't play that bad but just got unlucky with your SB till now.

This is my list:

:spade: playing value-hands too aggressively, getting small pots from folds instead of big pots at showdown

I recently have been focusing on value-betting a lot and I feel, that I already made some progress. There is still much room for improvement though. Just today during my first NL5 session I flopped top 2pair in a 3bet pot and raised VILLAIN's donk-bet because I was afraid of a possible gut-shot SD on the board (AKJr)... he snap-folded... just one example of how I am constantly missing out on value by not being prudent enough and not estimating well the real dangers when it comes to potential draws.

:heart: not taking some relevant factors into consideration when attempting to bluff

Although in many cases my aggressive bluffing got rewarded with VILLAIN's folds. I often don't know if I made a well placed bluff or if I just got lucky with VILLAIN not having anything and therefore folding. When I was bluffing in the past I was mostly focusing on my perception of VILLAIN's mistake propensities and if he showed weakness during the hand. Two of the most important factors I often ignored:
      Does my hand have any blocker effects, which are reducing the number of possible value-combos on this specific board?
      Are there any value hands in my range, which I would perform the same action with and which would beat most of VILLAIN's range?

:diamond: not folding early enough

This is still a big problem for me. Although I feel that I already improved this aspect of my game and am now much more able to let go some hands and less obsessed with bluff-catching. I feel, that I am still losing a lot of value here. For my 9,774 hands of NL2 I've came out with a high WWSF stat of 56.14. Average All-In Equity on the other hand is only 46.99 though and WSD only 48.31.
      Although the sample size is small these numbers seem to represent what I perceive my general problem to be:
      I am fighting too hard for every single pot which lets me win many small ones without showdown but also lets me lose some big ones at showdown. I am having still a lot of problems, when it comes to estimating the strength of VILLAIN's range, which often leads to bad calls. I am still only breaking even with showdown-winnings.

:club: still not having standard pre-flop 3bet-calling-/4bet-ranges

Not much to explain.

Good luck with the leak-fixing!
      :f_thumbsup: :f_drink: :f_thumbsup: