This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Grinding Past Mediocrity

• Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Hi,

My name is Collin, a 26 year old guy living in the Netherlands. I study entrepreneurship and am currently doing practical work for 40 hours a week in recruitment. Basically I search people for jobs. Kinda fun, but doing 40 hours a week of about anything for a boss feels like slavery, in a sense. One more year and I'll be done with college, finally.

For quite some time I wondered about starting a blog about my Spin & Go adventure. I dabbled between the pro's and con's and I guess I've been holding back because of public "failure". Time for a change, I guess.

Ok, so:
      I started my Spin journey in June 2017 with SpinLegends. I had no previous history with playing Spins or Heads-Up, so I started at the 0,25$ level and quickly moved up to the 1$ and the 3$ level. I didn't beat the 3$ level after my first try, but did so the second try. After beating the 3$ level I got promoted to the 7$ level and, probably due to a factor of luck I beat the 7$ level after 1500 games, to get promoted to the 15s. I have been playing the 15s for a couple of months, blaming almost anything for my inability to beat the 15s. This led to a drop in motivation and in volume. I had a good chat with the coaches and came to the conclusion that I had been focussing on unimportant things for a rather long time.

Long story short; confidence is back, motivation is high and time to put words to action.

Unfortunately I don't have graphs from the 0,25 - 3$ level because of lost data. I do have the data from the 7s and up, so here we go:

7$ Spins

15$ Spins

As you can see I have played quite some volume on the 15s. Most of my volume was playing 3 tables, while trying out 4 tables for a period too. Many factors led to mediocre results.

This blog is going to keep me accountable for my grind and will put me on "extra pressure" to meet my own requirements. Speaking about requirements, lets end with my goals for April:
      * 1700 Spins - Playing between two and three tables
      * Checking cEV on the 15th of April and the 30th of April
      * Meditate every morning for 10 minutes
      * Stop checking the "Observe Tab in Spins" and "Coinmarketcap" (Interesting one imo. For some reason I like to check if someone made big bucks. Any value in it? No. Same goes for coinmarketcap. Checking at the end of the month)

Vamos,
      Collin.
  • 30 replies
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      great blog! nice goals! keep going!
      1# <3
    • Antohitch
      Antohitch
      Bronze
      Gl with your goals Collin.
    • totte1992
      totte1992
      Bronze
      Glgl man! Crush it!
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Thanks guys.

Small update to the goal list; I have invested in a couple of different crypto's a few months ago and I realize I am checking coinmarketcap multiple times a day. I invested in some projects long-term, so checking on a daily basis is almost the same as checking chipev on a daily basis. So to keep me from checking, the obvious goal is:

* Check coinmarketcap at the end of the month

Also, I am not updating my blog on a specified day, but rather when I have something "useful" to say.
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Hey guys,

Small update; due to an agreement with Habit I will check cEV at the end of the month, as he is doing the same. Regarding my other goals; I am behind on volume. Volume will get back up to speed in the last 15 days of the month, as I have some days over and unplanned weekends. I started medidating again for ten minutes in the morning using HeadSpace, which is nice. Didn't check anything either, although I struggle not checking. Addicted to graphs and results, yep.

Next update on the 30th.
    • FanTK
      FanTK
      Bronze
      Gogogo collins crush it =)
    • totte1992
      totte1992
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FanTK
      I did cruch collin today, just saying :badteeth:
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic

Originally posted by totte1992
      Originally posted by FanTK
      I did cruch collin today, just saying :badteeth:
      Haha, you did. Cheers buddy.
    • Dileksera
      Dileksera
      Bronze
      glgl Collins, crush it indeedo!:f_thumbsup: :f_drink:
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Hey guys,

Yesterday I spoke with SpinLegends and they decided to promote me to the Diamond Team, so tonight I will be playing my first spins on the 30$ limit. After grinding over 7.5k games on 15s I made enough improvements, especially in April, to be good enough for the 30$ stake. Absolutely thrilled about the promotion as I was quite sure I had to improve my volume again to a minimum of 1500 games and pictured myself playing 15s for at least another month. Below my results for April.

Regarding my goals:
      * Volume goal - lacking a lot here. For May, I am going to set a goal at 1500 spins.
      * Checking cEV - went okay, I had a lot of trouble with not looking at cEV and I am not going to do it again for an entire month. I think I will go with weekly or every other week. For now, I will check after 7 days on the new limit.
      * Meditate every morning for 10 minutes - Started off with meditating, but haven't been meditating everyday. It's a great start of the day and missing a session is unfortunate. Another start ;)
      * Stop checking the "Observe Tab in Spins" and "Coinmarketcap" - I did ok, but not that good. The cryptomarket is recovering from a major correction and I want to keep track of the action a little. I did very good regarding observing big spins. I will continue to keep it to a minimum, but CMC will be off the list.

So overall I am really happy to have arrived at the 30s and I can't wait to crush totte there <3
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      great man! keep it up, 60s in june!
    • TheLittleFish
      TheLittleFish
      Basic
      Just found this thread! Congrats on getting to the 30s and best of luck for May! :f_drink:
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Update for May:
      Been really busy with practical work and the research paper I have to finish before the 15th of June. Played only 880 games on the 30s, feel pretty okay there battling with the regulars. EV is not good for now, thats a bit of a bummer, but oh wel... After the 15th of June I will have lots of free time until the 10th of August :D !

May graph:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi Collin,

Nice blog and I am sure your crush the 30s :f_thumbsup:
      I have also edited your post so you can see your graphs. The easiest way to add them is by dragging the picture file into the blog.

Good luck at the tables and subbed :f_drink:
      Regards

Matt
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Cool, thanks!
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      Great man! Hope to see you explode after 15th June ;)
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Hey guys,

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Today I rounded off practical work and I am really happy as I did pretty well in it. I will be starting my 4th and last year in college in September and if everything goes well I will graduate mid June 2019.

Pokerwise I played roughly 1.2k games on the 30s, but my chipev was only 26 so I had to move down to 15s. Overall I felt pretty comfy on the 30s and even more on the 15s, so it's only a matter of time before I can move up again.

For July however, I will be staying on 15s for the entire month, whatever happens as I don't have any income now besides grinding poker. Also, I think I have to get back into grinding and grinding harder volume. Practice at the tables is so valuable and I feel like people who grind 2k+ games every month will have a big edge over ppl who grind half of their volume. In combination with my lack of studying for the past months, "I have to get back into it" again.

I am playing fulltime for the entire month of July and am aiming at 175 grinding hours. Also, I will be at almost every diamond coaching and study with another diamond member at least twice every week. I play a session of 45 minutes of 2 tables when I start grinding and add a 3th one when I feel it's time, which is mostly after the first session.

My hourly volume will be around 18 to 20 spins, which would result in at least 3000 games.

Will update after every 1k games after the 1st of July :)

Vamos,
      Collins
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      Will be interesting if you really can hit that volume. from my own experience it’s rather hard to turn to high volume from basically being a lazy pleb :D
    • Okselson
      Okselson
      Basic
      Yeah, I agree. Wouldn't surprise me either ;) Will give it my best shot though :f_biggrin: