Hi everybody! (No i'm not Dr Nick)

• Wizard75
      Wizard75
      Bronze
      I just joined pokerstrategy and i'm hoping to learn loads about poker.

I started playing a few weeks ago on PS3 (high stakes on Vegas strip or something),then i opened an account on PartyPoker.

Been playing some free rolls (no prize yet) and cash games (5$ profit starting with 25$)

Then i started reading about odds and outs and discovered there's al lot more to poker than just plain luck ;-)

By joining this site i'm hoping to:
      A- meet cool poker-people ;-)
      B- learn the mathematics and strategy to be a good player

Grtz
  • 5 replies
    • smallhanzir
      smallhanzir
      Bronze
      Hi and welcome to the forums :) You will find a lot of what your looking for here, check out the strategy section ! As a new player like yourself, i also found some books that greatly helped me out in play. If your interested id be happy to suggest a few for you :)
    • Wizard75
      Wizard75
      Bronze
      Thank you,but i was planning to go to the library and have a look.

You can suggest a few,maybe they have those books

Thx!
    • smallhanzir
      smallhanzir
      Bronze
      Hey

The first book i read was Texas Hold'em Poker: Win Online. Its a general book about online poker, it covers odds, betting, psychology of poker (the good and bad), cash games, and tourneys. Its a short book but very informative. It got me playing well.

6Max NL Strategy Guide This is totaly free, just download the pdf and read. Really good information in there. It goes through preflop-turn-river-showdown. Give it a read, its free !

Theory of Poker Great read for any poker player.

Super System written by one of the oldest professional poker players alive. Doyle Brunson

Harrington on Cash Games 1 , Harrington on Cash Games 2 These are good reads, hard to understand at times but pretty straight forward.

I could go on and on but i think these should cover you for 2 weeks. If you like tourneys, Check out Harrington's other (3) books about tourneys. If you want a "fun" book to read check out Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen, i got sucked into the book, such a great player and very well written.
    • InsidiouZ
      InsidiouZ
      Bronze
      The strategy articles will do ;)
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Hi wizard

As insidiouz says, the strategy articles here are probably better than any book since they are written specifically for online play and are written progressively taking you from the very basics right through to master play.

Texas Holdem Poker: Win online is also the first book I read, I wouldnt recommend it though as some of the advice is very dubious. The theory of poker is by far the best book ever written imo, I have read it several times and am still reading it.

good luck