[NL2-NL10] 1/2 size trash flop contibets

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Lately,

I've been going into the flop (after raising pf) with players who don't like to fold (just one opponent on flop). I'm saying this from observation, rather than stats, as not enough hands played.

If I miss on the fop I feel like 2/3 cbet is a big chunk of my stack for a hand I'm quite likely to have to give up if opponent calls.

So, in such cases, is 1/2 pot c-bet usually enough to induce a fold in an opponent who is going to fold? And it seems to waste less money if they're not going to fold.

Sample hand for illustration:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $8.13
      Hero:
      $4.65

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:club: , T:heart:
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.25, SB folds, BB calls $1.00, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($2.85) 2:diamond: , 8:diamond: , Q:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.80, BB calls $1.80.

Turn: ($6.45) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.45) A:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $2.25, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8.70

Thanks.
  • 4 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Do not worry about opponents calling your c-bets. It will happen sometimes, but your FE is good enough for you to keep doing it.
      Stick to 2/3 pot-size in general, otherwise you might start lowering your bets out of fear and end losing fold equity. You can even be more aggressive eventually: if you are OOP on flop you might consider an easier push, if 2/3 potsize = 40%+ of your stack.

In this hand, push flop since 2/3 pot = more tahn half your stack. You are very often head with your PP. If he is calling with a monster pair, make a note; if he hit the Queen, he got lucky.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks mate, good to have your wise words back - missed you for a week or so?

Ok, will persevere with 3/4. Probably just having a bit of a run of bad luck.

Like the idea of pushing OOP. At least it keeps things simple.

Thanks again.
      T
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      Hi Tim64,

i would stick to 2/3 pot and you can really think about calling the river when it is a lowcard on this river i would definitly fold.

Best Regards

Ysessa
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Thanks mate, good to have your wise words back - missed you for a week or so?

Ok, will persevere with 3/4. Probably just having a bit of a run of bad luck.

Like the idea of pushing OOP. At least it keeps things simple.

Thanks again.
      T
      Yeah, I took a few days break, but I'm back now =D