This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Need Volunteers Please!

• Diescar
      Diescar
      Basic
      Hello everyone.

I am conducting an informal study that involves the search for a relationship between the amount a person is willing to bet and the personal psychological perspective the person has when playing poker (if you feel it is a Stress Reducing or Stress Inducing game). I am conducting this study by having volunteers answer a simple 30 second survey.

This is not a serious study and is only being done to allow me to practice conducting statistical tests using a subject I have recently become interested on. This being said, there might be flaws with how I worded the questions (since I am not experienced or a professional in any form). The information gathered will only be used to organize a test and present my analysis to a small group of people.

It would help me greatly if anyone could take my survey. Just use the link below which would take you there immediately. Thank you so much in advance!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TQ3RGBP
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi Diescar,
      I had a look at the survey, but didn't complete it.
      The Question about the opening hand of a tournament is missing some vital information:
      To answer, people would need to know more information:
      :diamond:   Buy-in -- I could not tell from the survey if the buy-in was $1000 or if the starting stacks were $1000 in chips
      :diamond:   Blind levels -- when betting most players bet a set number of big blinds regardless of the strength of their hands. Raises and re-raises may be other amounts but (for me at least) the initial bet is 2, 2.5 or 3 big blinds.

Note to members taking this survey (or any on-line survey): Be very careful to not post anything the might tend to identify yourself.

All the best,
      VS
    • Diescar
      Diescar
      Basic
      Thank you for letting me know what I could add to the question to make it clearer!
      I am going to specify that the 1000 dollars is referring to the starting stacks.
      The reason I did not choose to include blind levels is because all I am trying to figure out is the maximum amount a person is willing to bet initially. I know that a lot of people raise according to some other statistics like the blinds themselves, but I am only looking for the value one would give the hand.
      I understand that I could have set up a scenario for that which did not have to include poker at all, but since it's only a survey to help me conduct tests using relevant participants (people who play poker), I'll do the few edits and hope to get a few more volunteers.

Thank you for much for the feedback!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      No problem -- but again, my "maximum amount" would be stated in big blinds, not dollars.

Also, the buy-in amount is critical too -- I would not even play a tournament with a $215 buy-in, for example.

Cheers,
      VS
    • la55i
      la55i
      I did take a look at the survey and I have to say that Vorpal is right, it is impossible to give a good answer here.
      Poker players should always try to do the max EV play and money basically shouldn't matter at all. If at least one player is guaranteed to call our bet, then we should of course just ship it with AA pre-flop. If we would be afraid to lose that money, then we are playing on a too high level.

I feel like this survey is more aimed towards recreational poker players and gamblers who really have no idea how the game works. If you have AA and your bet is guaranteed to be called, if any serious poker player answers anything other than all-in, I would find that curious :)
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      That’s indeed a good point that if you push you get guaranteed 1 caller what makes a push off course the most profitable move.

Cheers,
      SDK1987