This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

NL Cash Games General Advice

• DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Silver
      Hi all,

I'm posting today as I am now getting rather frustrated. I enjoy poker and want to do well at it as a recreational player but for whatever reason I can't seem to be where I want to be. I finish most days either breaking even or on the majority of times on a loss. Some days I can pin this on me tilting and playing too loose, but generally all of my cash is lost in big hands.

A few examples from today for example:

1) I lost a medium sized pot with QQ to a player that had hit a set of 7's OTF.
      2) I had mid pair OTF and hit trip queens OTT, but my opponent hit a set OTF and the turn card gave him a full house.
      3) I have QQ and the board is 3586J. A fish in front of me in MP+1 called with a 79o pre flop and also called a 2/3 pot cbet.

These are just three examples from today that imo are just bad beats. There have also been 2/3 big pots lost to pure stupidity from me.
      I have dropped myself down from NL5 to NL2 just to get myself back on track.

Aside from playing consistently and not tilting. Is there anything I can/should do to improve my game? I have read many many articles/posts and watched many videos but just cant seem to start getting a +$ game. Like I said, most of my losses are in big pots are at showdown. I also have PokerTracker4 so was wondering if you guys knew how I could utilise this to help find my leaks? I often use the LeakTracker and my play style falls nicely within the optimal ranges. My biggest leak today (funnily enough) is Money Won at Showdown.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Especially with regards to utilising PT4!!

Thanks so much,
      D
  • 3 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hi DannyHorsley,

Mental game leaks are one of the biggest problems for a lot of people. And I'm not just talking a bout tilt. It could be other mindset problems too, like calling too much even if you know you are probably beat (you are just too curious) or getting too in love with a big hand and so on.

How long do you think it takes you to play 10 000 hands? If you play 4 regular tables or 2 zoom tables it would take you about 20 hours to play that. Now estimate how much money you might be losing on that time period because of tilt and other mindset leaks. If the answer is 100bb (one stack), it would lower your winrate 1bb/100.

One thing you can do is to post your hands to our hand discussion board. If you get a bad beat, you can post it there and just ask if it really is a bad beat or if you could have played the hand better.

Then you should of course keep on watching videos and working on your game. What comes to using PT4, the problem is that first you should have a good understanding of the game, know what different stats mean and know what correct values for those stats would be. You might get some help with this by watching some database review videos where coach uses tracking software. You can go to our video section and search with the word "database". Unfortunately many of those videos are for gold+ though.

One option is also to get private coaching. A coach can quickly show you your leaks and help you fix those.
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Silver
      Thanks again Ia55i for the advice. I’m most definitely in the category of calling out of curiosity. On at least two hands yesterday I called thinking ‘I’m almost certain I’m beat here’ but called anyway. 1) because I wanted to see what he had and 2) I underestimate players at low stakes, doubting that they’ve actually hit a good hand.

I’m definitely going to work on this, take regular breaks and stay sharp.

As for posting my hand histories, I have been posting some, I posted three yesterday but only got one response :(
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Don’t forget patience is key. Now you have already a lot more comments on your hand and if a hand will go the 2nd page of the section you can always bump it. Otherwise everyone will miss it.

Cheers,
      SDK1987