This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How to distinguish skill level?

    • oldschool97
      oldschool97
      Basic
      Joined: 21.04.2018 Posts: 1
      I've recently been called out as a strong player at a few circles I play in, and I was looking to figure out good ways to appear fishy without losing too much value. I've been trying to limp a bit more than usual, but people are still able to catch on.
  • 7 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Moderator
      Moderator
      Joined: 27.01.2013 Posts: 8,237
      Hi oldschool97,

      Welcome to PokerStrategy :welcome:

      I wouldn't start doing any fishy stuff just to looks weak, because then you really miss some value. I think you could use your strong image instead. If people are a bit scared to play against you, you could just start stealing the blind more for example. If you want to look fishy, you probably have to play fishy. And fishy play doesn't make you as much money.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 11,126
      Agreed, move more toward LAG from TAG -- especially in later positions.
      However, tighten back up when they catch on!
      Then loosen back up again and so on...

      Best of luck,
      VS
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.11.2007 Posts: 439
      Being friendly and relaxed sounds like your best option to go with. Try to avoid explaining strategy or scolding others for bad plays though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 11,126
      Originally posted by anduke
      Try to avoid explaining strategy or scolding others for bad plays though.
      Good point!
      VS
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.10.2008 Posts: 1,331
      There's probably some stuff you could do to alter their subconscious image of you. Dress sloppy, talk shit, be bad at chip tricks, handle your cards in a fishy way etc.
    • kondor101RNMD
      kondor101RNMD
      Silver
      Joined: 01.06.2008 Posts: 13
      The main thing to understand, is how your image is perceived. The more people think of you as a strong player, then the better it is for you. Not because they think you are a strong player, but because you know they think you are.

      Let me put it this way, imagine you found a way to make yourself seem more fishy. Well now you have no idea how you are being perceived. Some people could think you are strong, some could think you are a fish. Basically all you would have done is given yourself another problem to solve... "how does this person perceive me"?

      There is something really important to take into consideration here. When I see someone acting a bit fishy, I do not think "oh look it is a fish I am going to play xyz" because that is really bad. I sometimes even hear pros say this, but it is really really bad.

      What you should do when you notice someone doing something fishy is pay attention. Watch what they are doing, really focus on them, work out exactly what mistakes they are making on the later streets, and then and only then make a plan and exploit them.

      Let me promise you, you have errors, everyone has errors. So now think this through, if you wave a flag at the table "look everyone, I am a fish" what is the correct thing for them to do? The correct thing is for them to focus on you, to find your leaks, leaks you might not even realise you have, and then exploit them.

      My advice, would be do not start waving flags and enticing people to focus on you. It will not end well.
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.11.2007 Posts: 439
      Originally posted by kondor101RNMD
      The main thing to understand, is how your image is perceived. The more people think of you as a strong player, then the better it is for you. Not because they think you are a strong player, but because you know they think you are.

      Let me put it this way, imagine you found a way to make yourself seem more fishy. Well now you have no idea how you are being perceived. Some people could think you are strong, some could think you are a fish. Basically all you would have done is given yourself another problem to solve... "how does this person perceive me"?

      There is something really important to take into consideration here. When I see someone acting a bit fishy, I do not think "oh look it is a fish I am going to play xyz" because that is really bad. I sometimes even hear pros say this, but it is really really bad.

      What you should do when you notice someone doing something fishy is pay attention. Watch what they are doing, really focus on them, work out exactly what mistakes they are making on the later streets, and then and only then make a plan and exploit them.

      Let me promise you, you have errors, everyone has errors. So now think this through, if you wave a flag at the table "look everyone, I am a fish" what is the correct thing for them to do? The correct thing is for them to focus on you, to find your leaks, leaks you might not even realise you have, and then exploit them.

      My advice, would be do not start waving flags and enticing people to focus on you. It will not end well.
      Way to overanalyze the situation in my opinion. His opponents aren't probably that observant.

      Originally posted by bradomurder
      There's probably some stuff you could do to alter their subconscious image of you. Dress sloppy, talk shit, be bad at chip tricks, handle your cards in a fishy way etc.
      So I would say that bradomurder has a point here. Just by doing some goofy stuff will probably help the cause. There's no higher level bluff catching in this situation.