This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] To Bluffcatch or to fold

• clovenhoofsdoom
      clovenhoofsdoom
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I recently played this hand. I didn't 4bet preflop because I didn't want to isolate against KK+, AK - I do not have reads or stats on Villain. Probably I should have 4bet here.

Flop und Turn are pretty easy calls, right? I was thinking about raising the flop, and giving the stack to pot-ratio, it probably would have allowed me to push the turn to get some Foldequity - and isolate vs stronger hands, right? Im definitly not sure what the right play would be.

Plus: can I bluffcatch the river? Since I block some gutshots, and the flush and KK or AA was in his range as well, I couldn't. I guess he hasn't many Tx or JJ combos here. But can I really boil his range down like that?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Converted at http://handhistoryconverter.com

SB ($2.02)
      BB ($5.46)
      UTG ($2)
      Hero (MP) ($2.22)
      Button ($2)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, Q
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.05, Button raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) 4, 8, 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.21, Hero calls $0.21

Turn: ($0.79) 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.42, Hero calls $0.42

River: ($1.63) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $1.20 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $1.63 | Rake: $0.06

Results:

Button didn't show
  • 9 replies
    • AgapieGheorghe
      AgapieGheorghe
      Bronze
      Probably I should have 4bet here.
      Probably
      Flop und Turn are pretty easy calls, right?
      Right
      I was thinking about raising the flop, and giving the stack to pot-ratio, it probably would have allowed me to push the turn to get some Foldequity
      You can still have the option to check/raise all in turn if u just call the flop. You have in your range 88,TT, AT when you OR and call his 3bet he shouldn't have those hands in his 3bet range.
      Plus: can I bluffcatch the river?
      Not to many people will 3 barrel with air. IMO I think it is a good fold when you dont have info's about villain.
    • la55i
      la55i
      4bet would have been fine but I don't hate calling. Flop and turn standard. OTR I would also fold.
    • clovenhoofsdoom
      clovenhoofsdoom
      Bronze
      Super explanations Agapie! :f_drink: :f_love:

What kind of range you give Villain preflop, and on the turn? I know it is not an easy task since I do not have any statistics available. I saw some super loose preflop 3bets on NL2 and some super nutheavy 3bet ranges as well... thats why I didn't want to shove the turn somehow.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Bronze
      Except 4bet preflop I also think that's fine
    • nutural
      nutural
      Bronze
      against unknown 4bet pre would be a fair choise.
      And also your river fold is again correct as for example there are so many people on NL2 that cannot let go AKo / AKs and just bet it 3 streets. maybe he got lucky.
      I also like the idea of check/raise AI turn here.
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      well played overall. The other choice was pre to 4bet and call a shove.
    • MrQNo
      MrQNo
      Bronze
      If you follow the beginner strategy – which is not the best plan, but more than sufficient on NL2 – you would try to push QQ preflop. You do NOT isolate vs. KK+, AK. Your 4bet will be called/raised by AJ, KQ, and i even saw T7s. Without reads, go for it. On higher stakes, only call.

If you follow the beginner strategy, after calling preflop, you would try to get you overpair all-in in a pf-3bet pot. So c/r flop. Or c/r turn. You will avoid the problems with overcards otr.
    • Zotyibacsi97
      Zotyibacsi97
      Platinum
      On higher stakes, only call.
      It's not true lol.

Pre 4bet call is standard, if you a true good postflop you maybe go for the call but w/o info it dosen't matter to mutch. as playd flop easy call and your plan is to c/r blank cards OTT, at this turn c/c is fine agin and at this river the fold is correct.
    • clovenhoofsdoom
      clovenhoofsdoom
      Bronze
      Thanks for that many answers, it's pretty interesting to read about different lines and stakes. All in all poker CAN BE simple - in this hand I didn't had to think too much and it seem's it was played ok, which is great news :)