[NL2-NL10] AQo how to be on the river

• marselio
      marselio
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($1.39)
      UTG+1 ($3.76)
      MP1 ($0.88)
      MP2 ($2.31)
      CO ($2.96)
      Button ($1.76)
      SB ($4.26)
      Hero (BB) ($1.54)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, Q
      UTG calls $0.02, UTG+1 calls $0.02, MP1 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Button calls $0.02, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.11) Q, 3, 9 (5 players)
      Hero bets $0.09, UTG calls $0.09, UTG+1 calls $0.09, MP1 calls $0.09, Button calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.56) 7 (5 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50

River: ($2.56) K (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Button checks

Total pot: $2.56 | Rake: $0.10
  • 7 replies
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      You should have raised AQ preflop even out of position and against many limpers. AQ has low playability in multiway unraised pots.

I think postflop is ok.
    • marselio
      marselio
      Bronze
      But according to BSS preflop chat I shpuld exactly call being on Big Blind.
      Why do you think that raise would be the best?
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      rebuy to full stack preflop and play with 100bb
      you should raise aq there . aq is too strong to just check in the bb when limped to you
      postflop is fine
      gl
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by marselio
      But according to BSS preflop chat I shpuld exactly call being on Big Blind.
      Why do you think that raise would be the best?
      The preflop chart was made to make your start into BSS as easy as possible. It can't cover all the situations and has to be simplified. When you play more, you'll find out how to modify the rules in the starting chart. Raising AQ from the blinds when limped to you is one of the first improvements you can make.

Why do I say AQ is weak if you don't raise?
      With that hand, you want to make top pair top kicker on the flop (or top pair, second kicker). You wont hit A or Q in about 70% of the time. If you didn't raise, have multiple opponents and don't hold a big draw you just have to fold it to any action. If you raised it preflop, you could place a continuation bet and take the pot down even without hitting cause you have shown you have a strong hand by raising preflop, you have less opponents (hopefully just one) who often didn't hit as well and will give up.

But what if you hit? You want to be payed out by worse hands. But you didn't raise preflop so the pot is small and there's not much to fight about. What is more, if multiple players saw the flop it's much more likely someone has hit something bigger than just your pair, like set, straight, very strong draw or just a two-pair. He won't give up and you can possibly lose a lot of money. By raising preflop you reduce the number of opponents and thus the probability someone will hit big.

Good luck!
    • marselio
      marselio
      Bronze
      Thank you, very much! It's extremly clear and helpful!
      I'll definetly will follow your advise. Are there any other improvement of the chart? I mean what about call of small aces (from A9 to A2) if you hit in ACE in the flop, how to play them?
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Your line on an ace high flop when you were cold called with A2-Q is bet-evaluate. If you are called, consider if the opponent might be drawing or cry-calling with their own A-(not K). If you are re-raised, evaluate the strength of your kicker. Generally you are playing bet-fold lines with A10 and lower.
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Originally posted by marselioI mean what about call of small aces (from A9 to A2) if you hit in ACE in the flop, how to play them?
      You have to be very careful and don't fall in love with your just made pair of aces. If no one raised before the flop big aces like AK-AJ are not that likely, but bad players like to just call with AJ or AQ from early position because they like their hands but are afraid to raise them.
      There is no rule how to act on the flop. Usually, if it was checked to me I would make a standard bet with my top pair and fold to a raise. If someone made a bet before me it depends on the kicker. I may fold the lower ones and call the higher. But it's very opponent dependent, you also have to know if there are many draws possible on the board and many other things. You will find out how to proceed in those spots by just gaining experience, posting your hands, watching videos and the like. The advice that would almost always be true is: be careful and don't overestimate your hand.

If you have any other doubts concernin playing BSS please post in the strategy discussion forum: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1375
      I'm sure you'll find a helpful hand in there!

Good luck