Dyden's Limits

• Dyden
      Dydens Limit

First, a little about me, I'm 32, from Gent, Belgium.
      My current job is as a scaffolder, which is sometimes an awesome job, sometimes a shitty one. =)
      I'm usually home by 16:30'ish, giving me lots of free time to spend on poker and other hobbies.

The hobbies I spend the most time at lately, are gaming and poker. ;)
      In the past, I used to play lots of sports, baseball I played the longest, for about 19 years. In between I also
      played softball, squash and tabletennis. A knee injury that I really need get looked at stopped all sporting activities 3 years ago.
      Since then I've ballooned, and now I'm a fat bastard. =D

I have always been a gamer, there was a pc at home since I was about 5. It was a tandy of some sort, that had 'games' like space invader.
      As I grew up, pc's got stronger and the internet became more widely available.
      The internet got bigger, one of the first online games I got hooked on bigtime was called Team Fortress Classic, a capture the flag game.
      I played that game for a couple of years, steadily improving, and ended up as a good, but not great player.

After that came MMO's, I started with Everquest 2, and since I've played most of the new mmo's that came out except WoW.
      One of my first loves was EVE Online, a game I still pay for, but don't play anymore (for the most part).
      The game that got me intrested in EVE was called Planetarion, a webbrowser game that I gave way to much attention too. ;)

I don't play online shooters anymore, but I still play the singleplayers campaigns for the most part.
      Currently the game I play most often is called Navyfield, which is an online naval warfare game.

One of the forums I used to frequent, had a poker subforum. Poker was always something that intrigued me, but I didn't know the rules at all.
      On the other hand, poker scared me, as it's labelled as gambling, fortunately, I was soon to learn differently.
      Being bored one day, I was reading through that poker forum, and someone mentioned ps.com and free money. :D
      I came for a visit, read some basic articles on fixed limit, passed the quiz, created a new account on Titan and got the 50$.
      This all happened late august '08.

[B]Poker so far: [/b]

Played on the lowest limit available on Titan (I stuck to the basic SHC religiously), and started having my first little successes.
      In september, I made 17$, playing .02/.04, but I noticed I got titled quite easily. In october, I tried my first steps on .05/.1 and did okay.
      However, after a while, I was on permatilt pretty much and lost intrest. The reason I was tilting I was playing with scared money the whole time,
      having a losing session was very hard to take. Also playing to many tables early on ment I couldn't think about decisions and felt I was making mistakes.

Early february, I was going over bookmarks, noticed ps.com and started reading the bronze articles, which lit a small fire under my willingness
      to play poker again. Fired up Titan, and having read the articles (again), I joined a .10/.20 tables. Played 1 hand, won 9 cents and left while I was ahead. ;)

Since that day, I've started playing poker again on a semi daily basis.

This is how I've been doing since I started playing, back in August.

This is across all limits (0.02/0.04;0.05/0.10 and 0.10/0.20)

February was kind to me, as you can see here, along with my stats on 0.10/0.20.

In march, I havn't played much. Partly due to work, partly due to Titan being retards.
      When I chose Titan, one of the reasons for joining was that there was no time limit on clearing the 100$ bonus with the starting capital. Unfortunately, Titan changed their minds and decided that there was a 3 month time limit, meaning I won't clear any of the bonus.
      With the new Titan Club thing, you can get some money, but you need to be a gold VIP member to have access to that. With the limited amount of hands I play, that's not going to happen. So the only option I have left is to get the necessary Titanpoints so I can withdraw my bankroll from Titan and move somewhere else.

Goals of this blog

I have noticed that things become more clear as I put my thoughts down on paper. Having other people read it (hopefully! ;) ), will give other points of view as well, which is always helpful.

* Mental:

- Never Tilting, no matter what happens.
      - Understand the why's and how's of poker.
      - Learn how to deal with the different player types in poker.
      - Not playing scared, coming to grips with the ups and downs.
      - Caring less about the $$, more about the process. The money will come if the process is good.
      - Avoid playing tired, being aware that I'm losing concentration and quitting when it happens.
      - Get rid of the 'wtf am I supposed to do now' feeling I get sometimes when there's a situation I'm not familiar with.
      - Become better and guessing other players handranges.

* Practical

- Earn the necessary Titanpoints so I can remove my BR from Titan.
      - Move up to $.25/$.50 when my BR hits 150$ (it's the next available limit on Titan).
      - Keep posting hands in the handevaluation forum, replying to other peoples posts in that forum as well.
      - Attend my first FL coaching. :D
      - Keep this blog up to date.

- Folding hands in HU play: There are times when I know I'm beat, but I still call to see the showdown. Partly out of curiosity, partly because I don't want to admit defeat.
      - Folding decent starting hands like QQ, JJ, AQ, AJ on a crappy flop.
      - Not raising enough post-flop. If someone raises me postflop, and I have a good hand, but not the nuts, I'm quite shy about re-raising.

I have, ofcourse, more leaks then this, but I don't know them yet. :p

Current Bankroll

Thanks for reading!

• 5 replies
    • CoreySteel
      Yay, another FL blog :)

Really nice read Dyden, I enjoyed it.
      I played Planetarion too and 3/4 of my friends played EVE Online also, but not me. Back then I was 13-15 years old and just couldn't afford paying for that game.
      Planetarion was my first webbrowser game and I it was my favourite game :) I played from all the beginning (beta version) and until it was free :P

Nice graph and nice progress with your poker career.
      If you like playing on Titan I think you should stay there. There are not many good FL sites out there. The best is of course PokerStars and if you still want to move, this is the best site for you. Second best is iPoker network, so Titan and Mansion, then Party and Full Tilt and that's it.
      The best time for moving is when you can clear First Deposit Bonuses too :)

About leaks... These are standard leaks for low limit players. Just play, learn, post sample hands and eventually they will be gone. :)

I will add your blog to FL Blog list:
      Fixed Limit Blogs

Good luck at tables!
    • Dyden
      Thanks for the link Corey.

Quite a lot happened since the last time.
      As I said, I wanted to attend one of the FL Coachings, I installed PartyPoker to be able to follow. Terror's coaching was fun and I picked up some nice pointers.

After a day or so, I receive a message from Pokerstrategy, to fill in the cashier details, so that I can receive the 50$. This came totally out of the blue for me and was totally awesome. :D Thanks PS.com :D

The difference between playing on Titan and Partypoker is quite noticeable.
      The biggest difference is that you get way, way, way more Strategy points at Party then at Titan.
      For 1377 hands at Party, I've received a whopping 70 strategy points, the last 4 weeks with Titan, I got 63 points and I figure that's about 3k-3.5k hands.

The other big difference I've noticed, Party is way more swingy. It's quite easy to find tables with 40% player per flop, which on Titan is nigh impossible.
      The downside is, that at first, I didn't realise this, and subsequently lost a lot of hands with top pair/two pair getting busted by sets/straights/flushes and me betting like a retard on winning. :p
      The only way I came to this realisation is by looking at the final hand stats in pokertracker last night.
      On Titan, I made money with Top pairs / Two pairs, on Party so far, I'm losing money.
      This does not mean that I won't play those hands anymore, just that I need to pick my spots better and be a little more cautious.

Another quality of Party I like is that the pace of the tables is a lot higher.
      The speed tables are especially fun. :D

Before having money to play on Party, I was doing quite well and passed the 100$ mark.

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed reading it. :)

Titan BR: 106.49$
      Party BR: 50.45$
    • CoreySteel
      Wait what... You got 50$ just like that or am I missing something?
    • Dyden
      Just like that. Isn't there an action going for a 2nd starting capital?
      I'm not sure what qualified me. I asked PS to doublecheck and they said everything was in order. :D
    • Dyden
      Just a short update, so I can vent some frustration. :D

Been playing on Party ever since I got the money from PS. It hasn't been going well.
      I was breakeven for the first 4k hands, since then I've played about 2500 hands and lost roughly 130 Big Bets. As I was playing on 0.1/0.2, I've switched down to the 0.05/0.1 limit, and it has amazingly enough gone even worse.

I'm finding ways to lose hands that I never imagined possible. The amount of times I've run into a flush or a straight on the river against 1 opponent when I'm holding top or two pair is ... a lot, at least it feels that way in my head. :)

When I get a nice starting hand, everybody folds around preflop, or on the flop.
      When there's people in the hand, they pull out some retarded hand that beats me.
      When I get two pair, I run into a better two pair, or a set.

Some examples:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy hand converter:

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) T, 5, K (6 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, UTG2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.00 BB) J (4 players)
      Hero bets, UTG2 raises, MP1 3-Bets, MP3 folds, Hero calls, UTG2 caps, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (17.00 BB) 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets, MP1 raises, Hero calls, UTG2 3-Bets, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26.00 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and tens (T K)
      MP1 shows a straight, ace high (A Q)
      UTG2 shows a pair of kings (9 K)
      MP1 wins with a straight, ace high (A Q).

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy hand converter:

$0.05/$0.1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, A.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 2, T, J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero 3-Bets, SB caps, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB.

Results follow:

SB shows a full-house, jacks full of threes (J J)
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and threes (A A)
      SB wins with a full-house, jacks full of threes (J J).

Sure, there are worse bad beats, but there's a lot more where this came from. ;)

Most of my stats are identical between the two sites, my PFR and VPIP at party are slightly higher, but that can be attributed to using the bronze SHC instead of the basic one.
      Between Party and Titan, I'm winning more hands at Party, 8.31% vs 6.35%, yet the results aren't there.

This has been my most frustrating spell in poker so far, however, I've played more hands since the downswing then I did before. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. The weekend probably had something to do with it, as well as a lull in other activities.

Everybody has got to go through a downswing at some point, I just hope mine stops soon, even if it's been only 2.5k hands. With the breakeven spell before that, it feels longer. It's also making me doubt myself a bit more. Am I playing good enough? Am I doing something wrong? Should I play tighter? Only call with toppair?

I've been posting a lot of hands on the hand forum to see if I'm making any huge mistakes, other then being to passive, it looks like I'm doing ok with my decision making.

Getting a nice starting hand doesn't fill me with as much excitment as it used to, which maybe is a good thing. ;) I just hope this passes soon, as it's really frustrating.

Thanks for reading,

PS: Will post some graphs after work tommorow.