This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How to objectively assess our evolution?

• pguest
      pguest
      Silver
      Hi.

I've been playing NL FR for the past few months and although it looks "profitable", by analyzing a very tiny sample size of 31k hands, I couldn't find a objective way of assessing my performance or my improvements, for what matters.

I know winrate wouldn't mean much because I'd need a giant sample size to try to deduce anything from that and by that time, I could as well be dead as a poker player.
      In the end, it could be all variance.

On the other hand, doing it based on any "feeling" about performance is tricky because if we've been running good it looks like we improved, but if we've been running bad...

Just analyzing the hands played doesn't seem enough to conclude if I'm continuosly improving or not.

So, which other options do I have? Any idea?

Thanks!
  • 6 replies
    • pguest
      pguest
      Silver
      Anyone?
    • Oracleman
      Oracleman
      Bronze
      Have you noticed any differences in your thought process when making decisions? Do you feel more comfortable in situations that may have been tricky for you in the past? Did you write down any of your hand analyses from say, a few months ago? If not, I would start and try to be as thorough as possi Collect them in a file or notebook. Hopefully over time you will see a more developed way of thinking about hands, being more accurate on putting opponents on ranges, giving better reasons for making decisions, etc.
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Oracleman has some great points. Running good doesn't really matter here because you can just look at your EV line to get the real picture. Maybe not the best idea to only draw conclusions from "feeling", but I would say it actually plays a big part in your evaluation.
    • pguest
      pguest
      Silver
      Originally posted by Oracleman
      Have you noticed any differences in your thought process when making decisions? Do you feel more comfortable in situations that may have been tricky for you in the past?
      I believe so.

Did you write down any of your hand analyses from say, a few months ago? If not, I would start and try to be as thorough as possi Collect them in a file or notebook. Hopefully over time you will see a more developed way of thinking about hands, being more accurate on putting opponents on ranges, giving better reasons for making decisions, etc.
      No, I didn't.

Thanks, Oracleman.
    • pguest
      pguest
      Silver
      Originally posted by anduke
      Running good doesn't really matter here because you can just look at your EV line to get the real picture.
      Hi, anduke. What is that?
    • anduke
      anduke
      Bronze
      Expected Value line on graphs or just Expected Value stat. Most of the top software out there shows how much you're expected to win when the money goes in.