This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL 25 FR - AK preflop betting

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Silver
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $18.11
      UTG1:
      $25.92
      Hero:
      $27.39

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:spade: , K:heart:
      UTG1 calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.50, 5 folds, SB raises to $5.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $27.39 (All-In), SB calls $13.11 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $36.72

Is it ok to push like this with AK?

Note: My stats aren't very reliable because of the low hand sample so I wouldn't base too much on them.
  • 4 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      In a FR table I only go broke pre-flop with KK+, unless I have a good read on opp.

This guy is 3betting a UTG raise OOP. This means a lot of strength.

In this spot I would call his 3bet, as I am IP and have a pretty strong hand.
      If you had more hands on him and his stats were the same as they are with 48 hands, you can actually find a fold I think.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Silver
      I am unsure because a fold is very weak but he has shown a lot of strength and my original plan to isolate the UTG1 limper has failed.

A call means we are essentially hoping for an A or K (only 1/3 of the time) and we have to give up the hand without.

Pushing probably only really leaves us against KK+, AK. And we don't have much fold equity because he wouldn't 3 bet much else. (maybe JJ, QQ but thats not much fold equity)

- I wonder what the judges will think.

I'm not very used to stats. Which part makes you think it would be a fold? (assuming larger sample size)

He has a large vp$ip but pretty low PFR. So this suggests his 3bets are very strong??
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Yes, his PFR suggests his 3bet is very strong.

a 4% PFR is something like JJ+, AQ. But that's the average, so it can be tighter in EP, looser in LP and so on. A 3betting range is even tighter than the PFR. A guy 3betting an UTG raise from the SB is even tighter.

I think there are 3 possible ranges for him.

1 - He 3bets KK+ and you're pretty much dead.
      2 - He 3bets QQ+, AK and calls a push with all of these. This is still -EV
      3 - He 3bets QQ+, AK and only calls push with KK+. Your push here is profitable, as he folds most of his range. I don't think he'll do this though.

So I don't like shoving here.
      Calling is possible. The problem is that when you hit TP/TK, he'll fold all the hands that you beat. You'll get a split pot maximum.

As a general rule, going broke with AKo on a FR table is bad.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by caltabiano
      Yes, his PFR suggests his 3bet is very strong.

a 4% PFR is something like JJ+, AQ. But that's the average, so it can be tighter in EP, looser in LP and so on. A 3betting range is even tighter than the PFR. A guy 3betting an UTG raise from the SB is even tighter.

I think there are 3 possible ranges for him.

1 - He 3bets KK+ and you're pretty much dead.
      2 - He 3bets QQ+, AK and calls a push with all of these. This is still -EV
      3 - He 3bets QQ+, AK and only calls push with KK+. Your push here is profitable, as he folds most of his range. I don't think he'll do this though.

So I don't like shoving here.
      Calling is possible. The problem is that when you hit TP/TK, he'll fold all the hands that you beat. You'll get a split pot maximum.

As a general rule, going broke with AKo on a FR table is bad.
      You are making general rules from a nonexistant hand sample.
      Its +ev to push it here for less than 100BB effective.NH!