Should I call donks going allin when I got top pair?

• whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      I've lost 9 BIs for the last 12 hours, and most of them were vs donks, either sucking out, or having a good hand after 3-4 allins in a row, and I am really confused if I should fold in those situations. Is it a good play in the long run to call them when I believe I go the best hand and they are idiots, or should I wait to get a monster to stack them(which may never happen or I may just lose with AA vs 86s like today....)
  • 4 replies
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Post some hands would be good, give everyone an idea on your playing style against the donks.

Donks are donks...nothing you do can change that, and you really don't want them to change in the long run anyway. The game NEEDS donks! But it can be frustrating to know you played hands perfectly against them and they just got lucky.

Its important to remember that this is a LONG TERM hobby, and single hands, although very upsetting at times, are only a very small outlook over your entire career. Focus on long term more than hand by hand play.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      If you have a better hand than their range of hands then you should call.

If you think they are donk pushing with nothing/bad draws/middle pairs then you are probably ahead of their range and you should call.

Be careful though not to think someone is a donk when they are actually playing well.

In some ways its probably easier to fold - especially if you are the sort of person who will tilt because they river two pair.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Just fold marginal hands to them, it doesn't matter if you would have had them beat.

Just be sure that you trap and stack them with a monster later on.

Thats the strategy I use against maniacs.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Well, this depends on the type of donk.

Donk stereotype 1: Honest donks who minbet-fold weak hands and open shove monsters
      Honest donks like to express exactly what they have based on how much they are betting.
      Example of donk holding weak hand; Pot size is 1$ and you have position on honest donk. Honest donk bets 10c, you raise to 1$, donk folds. Donk had bottom pair, you had air.
      Example of donk holding a monster; You raise pf with AA, get called by an honest donk, you make a normal bet on the flop and the donk shoves 13$ into a 1.4$ pot. He has a set, you can instafold your aces.
      PS; Some of these donks likes to openshove their own aces and kings preflop, in fear of being outdrawn or outplayed postflop

Donk stereotype 2: Calling stations are very similar to the honest donk, except they are not as often worried about being outplayed and will often just limp-call, check-call, check-call, check-call aces all the way, just like they do with everything else that looks pretty. And of course, they will call your pot sized raise with bottom pair. I love calling stations.

Donk stereotype 3: Aggro donks who loves to bluff and overplay marginal hands
      Aggro donks or maniacs have the need to win every pot they are in. Some like to force the action with air while others prefer to overplay their bottom pair bottom kicker.
      Against a super aggro donk you really have to lower your standards for all in, once you check on any given street it usually means they will overbet the pot all in for maximum fold equity.
      Even preflop I recently discovered that even AJs or mid pocket pairs can be good enough to call a preflop open shove for 100 big blinds if it is the right person making the push. I've recently made alot of nice limp-call all ins recently. When a pot is limped to the maniac he sometimes like to just get it all in preflop. Either he sees an ace, a face card or his cards are suited. Sometimes he even mixes it up with low unsuited unconnectors. You won't find that many of these guys on Ipoker however, if that is where you are playing.

Of course my examples are to the extreme. You will usually spot them after playing at the table for a while. I usually try to get in as many pots as possible with these stereotypes.