This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] JJ on BB against steal

• juhiimi
      juhiimi
      Silver
      Hi guys!

I dont 4-bet preflop because i dont want to isolate my self against stronger hands (QQ+, AK). He has a wide range in 3bet, so im probably favorite on the flop. But because of the 2 streets bet(even though it was small) i decide to fold. Was it good?
      And what about BU, should i 4bet here because of him?

Thank you!

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $5.30 (106 bb) 50/28 Steal: 67; 3bet:10; Hands:18
      Hero (BB): $5 (100 bb)
      UTG: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      MP: $5.46 (109.2 bb)
      CO: $5.32 (106.4 bb)
      BTN: $7.62 (152.4 bb) 11/11 Hands: 19

Preflop: Hero is BB with :Jh: :Js:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, SB raises to $0.41, Hero calls $0.36, BTN folds

Flop: ($0.94) :Kc: :3d: :5c: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.84) :9s: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.88, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.84 pot ($0.08 rake)
      Final Board: :Kc: :3d: :5c: :9s:
      SB mucked and won $1.76 ($0.90 net)
      Hero mucked :Jh: :Js: and lost (-$0.86 net)
  • 7 replies
    • melting735
      melting735
      Bronze
      With JJ vs this villain, I would cold 4 bet with intention to call an all-in preflop.

As played, I think its fine to fold ott. If you call the turn bet, you must be willing to call river no matter what.
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze
      4 betting to like 2.2 or 2.3x. His 3b range in the SB is going to be quite wide. 4 betting smallish because he is going to fold a ton of his range pre (nice pot, rake free), he’s going to call some hands you are beating (AK, AQ, AJs, 1010, etc) and if he 5bets, I think you can safely fold. He is 5b shoving 1010 or 99 like never here, so I would be confident folding my Jacks and moving on to the next hand if thats how it plays out. 4 betting > calling.
    • melting735
      melting735
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GridironAssassin
      4 betting to like 2.2 or 2.3x. His 3b range in the SB is going to be quite wide. 4 betting smallish because he is going to fold a ton of his range pre (nice pot, rake free), he’s going to call some hands you are beating (AK, AQ, AJs, 1010, etc) and if he 5bets, I think you can safely fold. He is 5b shoving 1010 or 99 like never here, so I would be confident folding my Jacks and moving on to the next hand if thats how it plays out. 4 betting > calling.
      I think it is debatable if we should fold to a 5bet vs this villain. If he 5 bet, most likely he is all-in. IMO, we need to call this because a 50/28 guy, he can definitely shove with many hands that JJ beats. You won't easily narrow his range down to JJ+ by 4 betting.
    • Tonyx86
      Tonyx86
      Bronze
      Originally posted by melting735
      Originally posted by GridironAssassin
      I think it is debatable if we should fold to a 5bet vs this villain. If he 5 bet, most likely he is all-in. IMO, we need to call this because a 50/28 guy, he can definitely shove with many hands that JJ beats. You won't easily narrow his range down to JJ+ by 4 betting.
      Disagree. A loose guy with a wide 3betting range neednt have a loose 5betting range as well. Maybe he's stealing a lot against openraises preflop and his range is polarized. But dont believe in bluff-5bets on NL5. Means his range would be really strong even from a 50/28 villain. Best case scenario would be JJ+,AK.

Anyway, 4bet/fold hurts, but should be the best play.
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze

50/28 Steal: 67; 3bet:10; Hands:18

I don’t think we can make any significant reads of him as of yet after 18 hands
    • Mozzek
      Mozzek
      Bronze
      This should be 4b pre definitely. At least for nl10+, but even at nl5 id prefer just 4b, dont know tendencies though. I think it should be 4b/f, so dont go big with ur 4b. As played id call two and fold otr. For one, ppl dont triple barrel as a bluff often enough so you dont have to worry hes gonna shove with busted fd. Second, his small cbet makes me think hes got the fd, which we dont block. I think jj w/o the club are just too strong to fold ott already.

And dont rely on any stats after 20 hands.
    • Shaluga
      Shaluga
      Bronze
      Preflop I prefer the call here. Hand numbers are pretty meaningless given the sample size and when the action gets to us we have both the button and BB to consider. If we 4-bet and either player gets frisky by repopping it we lose a hand which has decent equity post-flop.

Post-flop I'm ok with how we respect the double barrel combined with the pre-flop aggression