This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Poker Book Recommendations

• DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I was just wondering what books you guys would recommend to me? I mostly play cash games, currently in the microstakes. I received Gus Hansens 'Every Hand Revealed' as a gift which I quite enjoyed, though its not so helpful for a cash game player (I'd highly recommend for a tournament or SnG player).

I'm also halfway through reading Jared Tender's 'Mental Game of Poker' part one and will read the second one as soon as I'm finished.

Im going on holiday next month so it would be nice to get some books that I could read whilst away. Id be grateful for any of your suggestions!
  • 10 replies
    • yiazmat50112254
      yiazmat50112254
      Basic
      i don't have lots of poker books so you might wanna take my opinion with a grain of salt, but from the few i have i would defenitely recommend phil gordon's blue book. the reason for that is that poker books almost always contain strategy, but in this one he is simulating actual situations. in other words, it's one of the few books where you can gain practical information instead of only theoretical information.
      the idea is that a certain hand is played, and from time to time you get asked your opinion, so you could think it through and read later on what he would have done.
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      I like the sound of having a more interactive approach yiazmat. Thank you, I shall definitely look into this.
    • yiazmat50112254
      yiazmat50112254
      Basic
      nice to hear it helped,
      have fun :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by DannyHorsley
      Hi all,

I was just wondering what books you guys would recommend to me? I mostly play cash games, currently in the microstakes. I received Gus Hansens 'Every Hand Revealed' as a gift which I quite enjoyed, though its not so helpful for a cash game player (I'd highly recommend for a tournament or SnG player).

I'm also halfway through reading Jared Tender's 'Mental Game of Poker' part one and will read the second one as soon as I'm finished.

Im going on holiday next month so it would be nice to get some books that I could read whilst away. Id be grateful for any of your suggestions!
      The Mental Game of Poker that DannyHorsley mentioned made a HUGE difference to my poker game.

All the best,
      VS
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      I’m so pleased that you said this! I’ve just finished chapter 4 so I’m exited to start reading how to control tilt. My biggest leak at the moment with regards to my mental game is that I start to lose my profits after about 500 hands or so. I’d love to be able to get out of the mindset of “I’m up two buy ins so it doesn’t matter blah blah blah”

May I ask what bits you took from the book that benefited from?
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Bronze
      Every big name pro and their grandmother has read Theory of Poker by David Sklansky. I havent read it personally.

But I have read Easy Game: 3rd Edition from BalugaWhale - its a light read, that helps you really fast in developing your poker thoughts. Its really light on theory, the main focus is explaining the best responses against the player pools. Also, the fact it is a 3rd edition is really nice. Every chapter is written as it was in the previous edition, and after that its added where the chapter was kind of wrong. This helps you see how the game evolved through time and how you have to evolve as a player - exactly like the author did.

GL :f_cool:
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      Thanks nsavov for the two recommendations here. I am definitely going to look into getting the book by Sklansky, as I have heard of him and his book many times before! I may also look into the 'Easy Game', as you seem to recommend it highly and I like some of the points that you raised, especially focusing on the best approaches to playing against certain player pools.
    • Stazuke
      Stazuke
      Bronze
      I own Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Little Blue Book, both great. Green is theory, blue is more a series examples of situations you will face at the tables. It's mainly focus on live play but can be applied online. It turned me into a more aggressive player and definitely helped.
    • BossYac
      BossYac
      Bronze
      Since you're playing online, a great book to learn to beat the microstakes and develop the skills to move up is The Grinder's Manual by Peter Clarke. It's basically a textbook on 6-max online poker that covers everything from using a HUD to ranges, game strategy, and poker math. It's a lot to read and process, but it's worth it.
    • Gr1ff1th
      Gr1ff1th
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BossYac
      Since you're playing online, a great book to learn to beat the microstakes and develop the skills to move up is The Grinder's Manual by Peter Clarke. It's basically a textbook on 6-max online poker that covers everything from using a HUD to ranges, game strategy, and poker math. It's a lot to read and process, but it's worth it.
      Best poker book for 6max nowadays.