This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Spinning and Streaming.

• nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I've been gone from poker too long, and now, I have no time. Sorta.

Having had an amazing time playing this game, I've quit everything and haven't had played a single hand (even home games) since the end of 2016, I've just recently started this month again to return to the world of poker, the reasons? Well, let's first start with why I left, in the first place:

Having played for many years, I've always had that feeling that my break was about to hit, someday. And at the end of 2016, in a drunken filled night I've spent more money than I actually should be, and joined a $200+ MTT and end up winning it all scooping over $24k. There it was, my big effin' break. So I stopped. Not because I won, but because I've lost what the game was all about. Took 2017 off, and went full job hunting back at my college and specializations degrees, which I'm glad to tell, I'm full employed at it.

So, why am I back? Because my mindset has changed, and I enjoy the game. Simple as that. I've felt something missing, and I enjoy this game, more than I should. Am I afraid to go on a rage drunken night again? Absolutely not. What that night also told me, was a lot about myself. I'm glad to say that almost all of that winning money, went to pay therapy. I was in a dark moment at that time in my life, and even though I don't believe in destiny or whatever, that lucky break, game me the direction I needed it.

So, why spins? Because I've always felt they were fun, but never took the time to properly study them, define ranged, work my game on it. Oh, I should have said, that my background was mostly grinding STTs, and trying out SH Zoom on low stakes. But I feel like spins have the joy I'm looking for, and the sessions can be easily constructed around my time schedule.

So, we'll have more time to talk about that in the future as this will be a daily blog, and I'll be streaming this too, everyday. I've been thinking about setting up a twitter account, but honestly, I'm not so sure about that right now. Since I don't have a following, and not even sure people will find this blog at all entertaining. Who knows? So, without further ado, here are the goals.

Goals
      - Play at least 100 games a day.
      - Be honest, and review the daily graph here at the blog, with my current mindset.
      - Review any particular hand I found it was interesting (win or loss)
      - If I'm playing, I'm streaming. This helps me keep the promise to all of you, and myself, that I'll be applying to it.
      - Share some motivational excerpt, for good and bad days of all of us alike.

I'm starting with a $100 bankroll at the $1 spins, and the plan is, to move then only at the 150 BI for the $3, as mentioned here. Now, I'm not going to play the $25c up until I reach $50 because, let's be honest, I can pay that money out of my pocket. Honestly, I could fund me at even higher limits, but since there's a learning curve, and all these things to set up, I rather start small, then get crazy.

You can always follow me and chat at my twitch channel. but always remember, that I'm no guy to come for, when it comes to asking strategy, and the challenge begins now!

Well, actually, a little later today, I got to work right now so... See ya then!
  • 17 replies
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      "Make each day your masterpiece."

The first quote has to be my favorite excerpt, that I even have a tattoo on my arm about that, this has come from a much longer one:

Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books - especially the Bible, build a shelter against a rainy day, give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance every day.

Even though I'm not religious, I like this quote in so many levels. I don't pray for guidance, but I do try to find inner peace and orientation in everything I do, which brings us to today. I have made only 65 games today, mostly because I didn't organized my hours properly, tomorrow it shall be different. Mindset is good, but I did had some tricky hands in the middle of the session after losing 10 games in a row, still I kept my balance and played accordingly without thinking about the past results on my decision making.

Today's graph (chipEV: 160):

Stream worked really fine, so all games are there, though because I also use the stream to play with my friends, it might have some weird scenarios there. The hand I wanted to share today was this particular one:

PokerStars - 20/40 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players

BB: 11.37 BB (VPIP: 64.71, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)
      Hero (SB): 26.12 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5:diamond: 4:heart:

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond: Q:spade: 8:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets 2.2 BB, BB calls 2.2 BB

Turn: (8.4 BB, 2 players) 6:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets 4.62 BB, fold

Hero wins 8.4 BB

I raised this hand because on the SB I'm raising almost all my range, and this villain was playing pretty much fit-fold on any kind of boards since the game was 3-handed. His calling range was around 30-40% of hands. The C-Bet was comfortable for me because of backdoor outs, and I'm almost sure he folds 80% of the time here.

After his call (which he wasn't doing very often), I'm putting him on Qx, most definitely not on 9T, as he wasn't playing speculative low connectors. So the turn cbet was almost entirely sure for me to get full value from him. Unfortunately, it didn't, but reading through it again, I'm pretty sure I'd play the same line. Any thoughs?
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      "Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself. - (CAMPBELL, Joseph)"

Whether the day had so many coin flips, they weren't the sole reason of the poor performance I had today, which showed me I need some time to evaluate a bunch of my hands, and already found some major leaks in my game. Yes, there was an insane amount of showdowns that were coin flips, but hands like the one I'll show below the graph are a big reason today wasn't a good day, so without further ado:

Today's graph (chipEV: 13,30 :f_o: )

PokerStars - 10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

BB: 23.85 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
      Hero (BTN): 42 BB
      SB: 9.15 BB (VPIP: 83.33, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:spade: J:spade:

Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (4.5 BB, 2 players) K:diamond: 4:spade: A:heart:
      BB bets 1 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

Turn: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
      BB bets 3.25 BB, Hero calls 3.25 BB

River: (13 BB, 2 players) Q:club:
      BB bets 6.5 BB, fold

BB wins 13 BB

Not getting the right odds, and mostly calling with the hope of turning a T sounds horrible, since I'm only drawing to that. On the turn however, there's more reasons to stay in the hand, but I've stringed myself of some very unnecessary money in this hand. This pattern was seen on some other hands that I've ended folding on the river after three barrels of bets.

The quote today aligns with all this, yes, I could've blamed the insane amount of games that were decided on coin flips, but better adjusting my aggression, and avoiding these passive plays would have improved my game way more, than blaming the universe that I couldn't catch showdowns that weren't coin flips. Tomorrow is a new day, with more knowledge of myself than I had today. Hopefully things improve.
    • totte1992
      totte1992
      Bronze
      About the hand you posted above, i think Its WP.

Folding the flop vs the 1 bb donk would be terrible with your hand. ( i would even consider raising as 1 bb donks Are Usally weak). A gutshot + backdoor flushdraw cannot be folded.

Turn is an easy call and i think folding river there is fine vs a 3 barrel. Overall Wp and you are definitly not loosing money playing like you did in that spot.

Gl with the spins! :)
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Thanks for the insight @totte1992, I'm looking at my hands trying to find what I could have happened to have such a hard chipEV, still a new game format for me, so it's quite difficult to look at my own hands and identify the problems.
    • totte1992
      totte1992
      Bronze
      If i was you i wouldnt be concerned about the cEV from session to session. Its Alot of variance involved over such a low sample. Look at it like every week or so else you might get influenced negative by it.

Also checked out your twitch channel and i would recommend you not to play more then 2 tables when you learning your strategy. Try to focus on every decision instead and when you feel like you handle 2 tables really good, then add a third. ( i Usally Only play 2 tables myself, especially when Im streaming)
    • Xanham
      Xanham
      Bronze
      Hey man, nice, gl!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      @Xanham, thanks man!

Originally posted by totte1992
      If i was you i wouldnt be concerned about the cEV from session to session. Its Alot of variance involved over such a low sample. Look at it like every week or so else you might get influenced negative by it.

Also checked out your twitch channel and i would recommend you not to play more then 2 tables when you learning your strategy. Try to focus on every decision instead and when you feel like you handle 2 tables really good, then add a third. ( i Usually Only play 2 tables myself, especially when I'm streaming)
      So the reason I'm playing 3 tables is simple, I'm confident on my game plan, and I can handle 3 pretty well (4 though, not so much). Having come from a background of playing on multiple tables in shorthanded cash games (around 12-18), there's a quite easy flow, and most of the actions at least on this limit are pretty straight forward for me, save one or two spots, where the time bank activates, but never times out.

I'm not hard worried about chipEV per session, as I'm aware 100-ish games isn't even considered a sample size in these games, and even on the 160 one of the first day, I was reviewing my hands trying to find spots that I could've improved my game. It won't matter if it's a good or bad day, it's just so I can keep track of my goal, and notice if there's any tilting going on, some hand that was definitely misplayed in a session, those kind of things.

When you look at the original goals, that's why I'm not even caring about setting goals on chipEV, and mostly being honest about my game and the volume that I can play. Yesterday was a straight 100, but I felt I could've done more, I've only stopped because it was getting a bit late, not because I had this: "omg I need to do 100 today".

If I ever feel that the third table, or looking at the end of the session at my graph is affecting my play, I will definitely stop, and review my goals for the daily writing. (;
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      "Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we may fall." — GOLDSMITH, Oliver.

What a day! The first half way through I was frustrated, but not really, when I was hitting so many 4x and 6x games, but never managing to snag one of them, losing to several 30% showdowns on heads-up. Had a guy on the stream watching this, even saying that spins weren't good, I disagreed and kept my game. Even with that, I was sure this wouldn't be the last time we'd had this happening.

Mindset was good, until around the 62nd game. I take short breaks every 25 games, and even though I hadn't played halfway through to the next break, I knew I wasn't very focused. I knew my game was good, but I also knew, I wasn't playing my A game, so I took a longer break before coming back to the tables. It's not like they're going anywhere right? :f_cool:

When I returned, mindset was perfect again and I kept grinding until I felt like it, eventually deciding to stop for the day at 105. On a bonus note, I've ran quite hot on multipliers, and even though I've missed snagging some at the beginning, I've upped the aggro on some very nice 10x that ran my way during today. After quite sometime without seeing those, having 3 on a 100-ish session is quite odd, managed to bank 2 out of 3 from those. But overall, I don't even know how I'm running dollar wise. I might even be down for all I care, as long as I know my game is improving, I'm fine.

Today's Graph (chipEV: 114)

PokerStars - 30/60 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hero (SB): 15.5 BB
      BB: 9.5 BB (VPIP: 53.33, PFR: 4.55, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3:club: 7:diamond:

Hero raises to 2 BB, BB raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 4:diamond: J:heart: Q:club:
      BB bets 1 BB, Hero raises to 11 BB, BB calls 5.5 BB and is all-in

Turn: (19 BB, 2 players) T:diamond:

River: (19 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:

BB shows K:heart: 5:spade: (High Card, King)
      (Pre 63%, Flop 76%, Turn 86%)
      Hero shows 3:club: 7:diamond: (One Pair, Threes)
      (Pre 37%, Flop 24%, Turn 14%)
      Hero wins 19 BB
      This was a tricky hand honestly, firstly because villain was letting me steal away all his chips pre-flop, so my small blind range was wider than ever, especially my c-betting on dry boards. So when he min-raises I still know I have tons of fold equity if he doesn't hit the board, as I'm putting him on a very small range (Ax, Kx).

Now the reason I'm putting him on this small range, is because 3-handed I was him 3-bet shove with more marginal hands, and do the same thing with AKo, then folding to aggression from the other villain that was in the table. How? He showed the hand when he folded. Like he was trying to say: "I never hit on PokerStars". Well, he actually did typed that too :f_drink:

My shove here has the only intention of making him fold since I believe he missed the flop completely, as he did. Now looking back I'm not sure I had the right odds to make him fold, but I did believe he was folding more that 50% of the time here. I'd probably do a very similar line again, is this losing me money in the long run?
    • Xanham
      Xanham
      Bronze
      Nice stream!

In that hand, preflop is fine. But flop is not: If you're not folding 73 here, what are you folding? No matter what your reasoning and reads are, you want at least some reasonable equity when your bluff raise is called. You should also have a folding range.

Also, on the lower stakes I don't recommend relying on reads/adjustments that much. You probably don't have enough sample, and also many people just don't play a consistent strategy. Even if your reads are reliable (which I don't believe, I think he could as well have KQ, KJ, QJ, JT, medium/high pocket pairs), you don't know if he's able to fold Ax, Kx etc. so your bluff might not accomplish anything.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I allow myself to fail. I allow myself to break. I'm not afraid of my flaws. - GAGA, Lady.

Had a great weekend! On the personal side, though I'm not very happy about myself at the tables, but happy with myself realizing that I'm not happy at myself at the tables. :f_rolleyes:

From the beginning the main goal here is to be honest with myself, and with the world about my game, mindset and play, and especially Sunday it wasn't good. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what was it, but even though I was feeling okay with myself at the day, reviewing shows that as any human being, we have flaws, and it's up to us to correct them. Because of the short hiatus on posting on the blog, I think it's better to just show the graph overall.

Not a bad graph, not a good graph, just a graph. What shows however are some very questionable plays I did, and when I mean questionable, I think I was terrible in these spots. Which, as anything in life, prompted good things out of it. Got me reading some old articles again, and looking at some new things not only related to spins.

Worked this Tuesday morning before work, and this post, to look at my stats overall, and as usual, some of my last hands played in now more specific scenarios. With a bigger sample, some things start getting a better view, even though I don't believe 600 games at spins, from what I look around is even a big sample, but I'm stalling here.

So I wanted to talk about this hand:
      PokerStars - 10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players

BTN: 25 BB
      Hero (SB): 25 BB
      BB: 25 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:spade: 8:heart:

BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 5 BB, fold, BTN calls 3 BB

Flop: (11 BB, 2 players) 3:club: T:spade: 3:diamond:
      Hero bets 3.65 BB, BTN calls 3.65 BB

Turn: (18.3 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

River: (24.3 BB, 2 players) 6:heart:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 13.35 BB and is all-in, fold

BTN wins 24.3 BB

When I looked at this hand, there were a few things that came to my mind, and got me thinking of course of the most important thing, before trying to ask for the right solutions, why not make the right questions? So I was reading this hand and these questions came into my mind:

- How am I expecting to play this hand post-flop out of position on a shallow stack?
      - What am I expecting to do if villains shoves me pre-flop?

The questioning becomes worse as the hand progresses:

- What hands am I expecting to fold from this bet on the flop? How to react with a raise.
      - How does the 8c changes the hand on the turn? Have I improved, if so? How to react on a river bet?

And of course, the river:

- How often does villain has a Tx, 3x or an overpair here?
      - If I called the Turn, led the flop, what am I expecting on the rundown?
      - How often does villain bluffs here?

In general, I thought this was such a poorly played hand, that every street could've been improved, and how would've I improved it right now with a clear mind? It boils down to: Wouldn't have played A8o OOP in this scenario. This one, most definitely got a tilt tag on my PT4, good for future reference though.
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      very great blog man! definetly going to follow, sadly your streamtimes are rather late for my timezone, yet I caught you in action twice already :)

I think folding A8o is not possible. flatting would be my choise readless.
      x/c flop, x/c turn, x/fold river probably.

as played definetly calling turn bet to fold on alot of rivers, smaller sizes I might call.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Thanks for the insight @BadHabit1989! I'd take that into factor.

Haven't blogged lately because they is possible a potential change in my goals and organization of daily play, will let you guys know as soon as that comes! It's still not set, so I don't want to jinx anything, but very possible good news indeed.

This weekend I'll be traveling to visit a friend in Mar Del Plata, Argentina. Hopefully I will make a trip to the casino and can share you guys some pictures, streams will be on hold for Poker the next couple of days, and I'll be back on Sunday for that late night giveaway. (;
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I can now officially say after signing a contract and having done everything, that I'm now officially a SILVER member of Spin Legends. With that being said, I'll take some time to await what limits I'd should be playing, and that will affect my goals, because now we have shared interest.

Looking forward to being on the best spin team in the world. (;
    • Xanham
      Xanham
      Bronze
      Hey, congrats and welcome! See ya at the 15s soon :f_drink:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      With the new amount of material, things to study and everything I have (plus, can't share on stream the Spin Legends strategy), I have to adjust my goals, though I'll still be streaming, at least one hour a day, my goals for July have to adjust accordingly.

I have been put by the team into the 25c Spins for at least 500 games, so that will be my main goal this month. There are some rules we must follow, and I will do them, so won't focus at all on volume this month, mostly on grasping the strategy as a strong foundation. The goals this month are as follows:

SpinLegend July Goals:
      - Play the first 500 games in order to see if I am allowed by the team to move up into the $1 limits next month.
      - Buy some materials to study, I work with writing down things, so I'll need to do them accordingly.
      - Daily motivational quotes and sharing how my mindset is going through the day.
      - Graphs at the end of the 500 games.
      - Stream daily for at least one hour of poker, talking to you guys.

I kept it simple as possible, because there's so much material to dive into, that I don't want to overwhelm myself, and focus solely on becoming the best. Of to my study grind before work.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Quick update.

Haven't died. But had to do a small surgery that made me fly back to my home country so I wasn't able to stream anymore (can't talk much either). I'm being able to play, and I'm almost finishing the 500 games, SpinLegends is a blast and the information has improved my game by quite a bit.

As soon as I can actually type properly, to show things to you guys I'll do. Thanks for the love. <3
    • BadHabit1989
      BadHabit1989
      Bronze
      Oh damn! Hope everything went well! Get better soon. Waiting for shiney graphs 😁