This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] AJo 3bet pot

• juhiimi
      juhiimi
      Silver
      Hello!

Was my turn play unnecessary? Should i play check there and check/call the river?

Thanks!

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $6.41 (128.2 bb)
      BB: $4.70 (94 bb)
      UTG: $1.58 (31.6 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $5.56 (111.2 bb)
      BTN: $4.79 (95.8 bb) 26/21 H:41

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ad: :Js:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.14, Hero raises to $0.45, BB folds, BTN calls $0.31

Flop: ($0.95) :4d: :Tc: :Ac: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, BTN calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.25) :4s: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN calls $1.40

River: ($5.05) :6h: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.29 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $5.05 pot ($0.21 rake)
      Final Board: :4d: :Tc: :Ac: :4s: :6h:
      Hero mucked :Ad: :Js: and lost (-$2.50 net)
      BTN showed :7c: :8c: and won $4.84 ($2.34 net)
  • 4 replies
    • melting735
      melting735
      Bronze
      As played, You need to call this as you only need to win once in three time. I will probably ship it by myself making him pay with worse A. But checking can induce his bluff on busted draws

Bet > check call ott imo.
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      Yes, it is here too nitty.
      But I do not like the two bets. We have TP, but we are oop and I am sure, we don't have 3 streets value. Even AT beats us..
      Please coment sb more, but my play: F c/c (cause if we bet flop and he bets turn a than river - the call river wouldn't be easy - and it is dry board. What would we do if would be a little more drawy?), T bet and R bet or blufcatching according to board.
    • melting735
      melting735
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Willy411
      Yes, it is here too nitty.
      But I do not like the two bets. We have TP, but we are oop and I am sure, we don't have 3 streets value. Even AT beats us..
      Please coment sb more, but my play: F c/c (cause if we bet flop and he bets turn a than river - the call river wouldn't be easy - and it is dry board. What would we do if would be a little more drawy?), T bet and R bet or blufcatching according to board.
      Disagree. Villain was 26/21 in 41 hands with a weird stack size. It is good enough to know that he is most likely a recreational player. Vs this type of player in NL5, AJ definitely has value for 3 streets on this board.

As the preflop aggressor, flop bet was a must. Villain could call your bet, it doesn't mean that he would be willing to bet by himself. I prefer a smaller size like 1/2 pot, so that we can also easily pickup value from JJ, QQ, Tx, and some weak draws like KQ, KJ.

As played, turn bet was also necessary because 4s didn't change anything here. Villain was not likely to fold any stronger draws, and would almost never fold Ax here but he might check behind with these hands.

OTR, we can then decide either lead by ourselves or check call for bluffs.

Don't be afraid of being beat. Getting value is more important!
    • juhiimi
      juhiimi
      Silver
      Thank you guys :f_drink: im probably too nitty on the river as general