This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Bad beats

• Donmecon
      Donmecon
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I have had good success at tournament play but because of the length these I haven't really the time to play many.

I'm now looking at making a profit from cash games but I'm struggling quite simply because of bad beats. Now before you say that's part and parcel of poker and it swings and roundabouts the vast and I mean vast majority of the time (about 80%) I get in with the best hand. On that bases I should be winning but I'm only splitting evens because of bad beats and this has been going on for months and months. I know that the majority of poker is luck but if you play correctly you should win in the long run so why is this not happening ?
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Donmecon,
      I'm guessing that you can tell me the standard answer to the bad beat problem:

Poker is a game of small edges. If you bet or raise with the best hand, over time, you will win.
      The hard part of that is "how long".

Some important things to consider in a downswing:
      :diamond:   Don't change your play just to avoid losing
      :diamond:   Play each hand based on your position, your hole cards, the board, the number of players in the pot and their tendencies. In that order.
      :diamond:   Whether in a downswing or not, avoid river calls made purely for curiosity -- before calling a bet, you should always have a reasonable expectation of winning the hand.
      :diamond:   You must bluff with some modest frequency. If you don't, villains just fold and you end up winning many small pots -- and losing a few big ones.

Since you've been a member for 8 years, I'm sure that none of the above is new. Perhaps it's time to review "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler and Barry Carter. If you haven't read it (and followed the instructions) yet, I suggest that it is well worth the read.

All the best,
      VS
    • wintheflop777
      wintheflop777
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, Donmecon,
      I'm guessing that you can tell me the standard answer to the bad beat problem:

Poker is a game of small edges. If you bet or raise with the best hand, over time, you will win.
      The hard part of that is "how long".

Some important things to consider in a downswing:
      :diamond:   Don't change your play just to avoid losing
      :diamond:   Play each hand based on your position, your hole cards, the board, the number of players in the pot and their tendencies. In that order.
      :diamond:   Whether in a downswing or not, avoid river calls made purely for curiosity -- before calling a bet, you should always have a reasonable expectation of winning the hand.
      :diamond:   You must bluff with some modest frequency. If you don't, villains just fold and you end up winning many small pots -- and losing a few big ones.

Since you've been a member for 8 years, I'm sure that none of the above is new. Perhaps it's time to review "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler and Barry Carter. If you haven't read it (and followed the instructions) yet, I suggest that it is well worth the read.

All the best,
      VS

Thanks you so much!

Had a very rough time recently and your elaborated comment helped me to take it in the right proportion
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi wintheflop777,
      I'm glad it helped!

All the best,
      VS