clearing bonuses playing tourneys

• dnalloh
      dnalloh
      Bronze
      It seems to me that the only realistic way of clearing bonuses is to play cash tables, and at a high volume as well. Sitting at a cash table you can collect points even when you fold, but in a tourney once you've paid the fee, that's the only points you are going to get. And since the goal is obviously to play deep into a tournament, that means you will only get a small amount of points for a long duration of play. This strongly skews the advantage to playing cash if you want to clear the bonus.

I don't really know that there is anything to do about this more than state the fact that it just is the way it is. But I would much prefer to play tourneys (both sng and mtt) as the biggest part of my game (I am a plus player in all forms when I am in a relaxed state of mind), even if I do want to play cash also. I guess I just wanted to post this as an observation/minimal complaint (of which I know there is no solution to as I said)/question. The question is: am I missing something? Is it possible to collect points from sng so that you can collect the bonuses too? Is the key, again, volume? If so, not exactly the greatest way either, since I don't have an autofolder and think it messes up my play to play too many tourney at the same time. To easy to get confused as to where you are in each tourney and to miss reads.

Anyway, thanks for the time. Not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of post either.
  • 4 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey dnalloh,

The probably most difficult way to clear any kind of bonus is by playing MTTs. This is simply because the rake you pay compared the time you can potentially play is the lowest. In SNGs on the other hand you can actually clear bonuses quite well since the points you get per SNG are relatively high - and they take considerably less time than MTTs. Especially if you are playing turbo SNGs and playing multiple tables - you can get through a bonus quite easily (In cash games you get relatively few points per hand - while you get quite a big batch of them whenever you sign up at a SNG - so time/points is pretty similar)

Since the bonus clearing is in relation to the rake you pay - there is nothing that can really be done about adjusting it for MTTs though.

If you play multiple SNGs at once (which should be doable due to you playing very tight early) you should have no problem clearing the bonus - especially if you are playing Turbos.

Best regards & good luck at the tables,
      SoyCD
    • dnalloh
      dnalloh
      Bronze
      extremely late reply, but no less appreciative of the answer for that! :)

after reading a bit i see that a lot of people multitable sng and play mostly turbos (and clearing bonus playing mtt i realize is impossible, was thinking sng when i posted), but i just am not as effective when i play more than 3 tables, and really dont like to play more than 2. and multitabling sng then i would end up in different stages in the different tourneys and that requires different decision making and... well, i COULD do it if i really wanted/needed to, but i just dont think its all that much fun, and i really want to have fun (i know, who doesnt :D ). i am actually, and i point out this is completely a personal feeling, quite against the whole turbo/double turbo/super turbo etc... movement in poker. its like, lets just get to push and pray phase as soon as possible. it just isnt my kind of poker. i am completely ok at push and pray phase of tourneys, its just the part that is least fun. i like to have the option to fold my KQs to reraise and not be pot committed just 10 min into a tourney.

anyway, as i said, thank you so very much for the reply! i have figured out how to clear the bonus i think, but i am going to stick to cash games for now. on mansion you pick up points pretty easily on the right tables (funny side note: sat at a nl4 sh table one time cuz i saw they were playing 4.50 average pots!!! sat and folded and paid 3 cents per round and got 25 mansion pts in like 10 min. can take 30 min on nl10 table to just get 10 or 15 pts. even managed to win a few hands myself so that in the end i only paid 3 cents for those pts. worst poker in the history of the world of course). will update how things are going when i make sure that my mindset stays as stable as it has been the last few days.

wow. this ended up longer than i thought. so one last time - thanks, soy!!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Then I wish you all the best clearing that bonus :)

Remember - this Monday all Mansion points count double - even towards clearing the bonus. Perfect chance to get some clearing done - I know I will ;)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • dnalloh
      dnalloh
      Bronze
      yeah, i saw that. will try to get some time to play, but unfortunately (timing wise anyway) we are having b-day party for my son that day, so need to be the good parent over the good poker player/bonus whore. :D

hopefully they will have more days like that.