This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] SSS - New Articles - Playing A,K

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Somewhat late off the block, I just got round to reading the revamped basic SSS articles.

They seem a lot clearer to me and an easier strategy to follow, so well done PS!

One thing that is not clear from the articles:

The main article ( http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/1374/ ) says that you are pushing pre-flop A,K against one raise in front of you - this is under the heading: "Situation 2: Someone raises before or after you."

However, the pdf handout (footer: 26022009-PS-NL-E-SSS-CHART-EN-V03) that is linked to from the article does not include A,K as a hand you go all in with.

Well, they can't both be right. So: judges ruling and an amendment, please :O

Personally, I like the handout version better - even though this is not what I have been playing - since I think it is less of a crap-shoot and likely to result in less variance (which can be v difficult to accept for beginning SSS players)

Happy sunday all,
      Tim
  • 9 replies
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      AK is definately very strong hand so I think there was a mistake in pdf handout.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

That was a typo and I forward it to our Educational Department.

When there is 1 raise in front of you: Go all-in with AK,JJ+!

However Tim, for raises behind you I recommend sticking to Raise :: Stack ratio since sometimes it doesnt make sense to fold 99 with a ratio of 2.4 for example..

- Gerv
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hey Gerv,

Thanks for that. I guess the changes were made to simplify the strategy a bit, even though the old original raise: remaining stack ratio system gives a more +EV?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      definitly yes :) !
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      sorry to jump in on this thread but what about TT being added to the Go Broke with pre-flop? Could we play with the old raise: stack ratio sizes but add TT to everything? Or just stay the same?

Just wanna know because someone advised me to start SSS'in again :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I just stick to the original stack:raise ratio, I think you shove TT plentiful of times with using that chart

- Gerv
    • badpinguin
      badpinguin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      Hi Tim,

That was a typo and I forward it to our Educational Department.

When there is 1 raise in front of you: Go all-in with AK,JJ+!

However Tim, for raises behind you I recommend sticking to Raise :: Stack ratio since sometimes it doesnt make sense to fold 99 with a ratio of 2.4 for example..

- Gerv
      Can someone back this up with some numbers? I seem to loose a lot of my AK shoves due to the other person having a pp.. Maybe because I only remember my losses? :p
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      What do you want to know with numbers?

AK vs PP = 45/55
      AKs vs PP = 49/51

But in terms with FoldEquity+ you already invested money in the pot, you are playing +EV with AK ;)
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by badpinguin

Can someone back this up with some numbers? I seem to loose a lot of my AK shoves due to the other person having a pp.. Maybe because I only remember my losses? :p
      It's also worth noting that AK is in general just a part of your shoving range.

Eg. 99+,AK Vs 77 makes your range a 70% favourite versus this particular holding. So when you get called by a smallish PP you make G-$'s even if you sometimes get the money in bad from time to time with your AK.

(Hint:Googling G bucks might be helpful)