This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Beat 2NL, what next?

• zednik44
      zednik44
      Bronze
      Hi there, looking for some feedback on what stake to play next. I have my 2nl graph after 100k ish hands attached. My winrate is 6.86 and this was all played on stars in the last 6 months or so. How does this fair amongst others who are playing 2nl on Stars these days? Based on what I've read from blackrain79 this is a very average winrate.

Anyway, my question is this: should I move to 5nl or move higher up to 10nl or 25nl? Is there still value in beating every single stake ? Given that 5nl and 10nl essentially play the same as 2nl with some slightly better regs from what I've heard.

My issue is that I want to avoid paying excessive rake. I intend to move my money over to PartyPoker due to rake back considerations -- also the games will be softer. Can afford to inject a little more into the bankroll to ensure i'm rolled for 40-50ish BIs

graph:
  • 5 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hey zednik44,

I think the answer for your question is simple. You should take a shot at the stake you have big enough bankroll for. I'm not sure if I completely agree with the statement that NL10 is essentially the same as NL2 but anyway, if you think you are rolled for NL10 by all means take a shot. A lot of guys make the mistake of thinking "I want to beat this limit with 5bb/100 over 100k hands before moving on" and that is just wasting their potential. They might already be good enough for the next limit and have big enough bankroll but they still keep on grinding lower limits because they "want to be sure" or are just scared. So no I don't think there is value in beating all of the stakes. People usually do that to increase their bankroll.

And also about moving your roll to Party. It might make a difference but then again it might not. It depends a bit on your volume. Rakeback is definitely better at Party but then again rake is also bigger. And I have understood that you can't use a HUD at party regular tables? So make some calculations and consider these things.

Edit: When taking shots at higher limits, I usually like to make them short. So if you start shotting at NL10 and if it doesn't seem to work, go back down quickly. Don't get stuck there and lose 10 buy-ins.
    • Pokamon
      Pokamon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zednik44
      My winrate is 6.86. this is a very average winrate.
      first of all any WR over zero is a good WR as you are not only beating the pool, but also the high rake. still there is a lot of room for improvement.
      Originally posted by zednik44
      Anyway, my question is this: should I move to 5nl or move higher up to 10nl or 25nl? Is there still value in beating every single stake ?
      edges are small. you can not expect to move up several stakes and keep the same WR. any stake should cost you 3bb in WR. so expect to beat 10 NL for less than 1bb. also i believe that any limit has its own lessons. so its worth it to do it the traditional way.

you dont have to play 100k hands at any given stake though. 50k hands are enough as long as youre showing a WR that grants you an edge even at the next limit. so dont even think about moving up w 1-2bb. also you should avoid to move up several limits w/o the volume. upswings can be huge.

the most important thing is to keep improving and have a nice balance between grind and study. gl.
    • MrMontanaRC
      MrMontanaRC
      Bronze
      hi zednik44,

could you describe the strategy you are using to beat 2nl?

i am playing a fairly standard strategy and beating it for about 2bb/100, i did move up to 5nl after a long time and have been doing much better there over the last few months. I have moved back down to learn how to exploit player types properly as i feel this is where i am losing money.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Thanks
    • zednik44
      zednik44
      Bronze
      The key is to go for as much value as possible with your strong hands. In general size your value bets bigger. Also play aggressively against the regs who play fairly straightforward (in 3bet pots for example). Another key is to identify the player types and take notes as soon as you sit down. This helps you understand who you shouldn't bluff and who you should go for even bigger value against (calling stations for example). Using a hud also pretty essential in my view. GL !
    • MrMontanaRC
      MrMontanaRC
      Bronze
      Exact same for me except I play less aggrro against regs, maybe I need to look at that!! Thanks for the reply 👍