This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

BB defence

• ShyPh
      ShyPh
      Bronze
      Mayb a stupid question, but how far can you go with a 3 bet against a steal from any position.
      Say SB tries to steal my BB, I have a good read on him and he tries to steal from SB with about 35% of his hands. I got QJo, this would give me about 46% equity, can I 3-bet here?
      A few reason that can justify a raise:

1. I already invested 1 BB
      2. I got position
      3. I increase my fold equity

Am I correct in this reasoning?
      What if I had KJo, this would give me 50% equity can I 3 bet here? And what about if the steal came from other positions? How far can I go with a call / raise.
      My current fold bb to steal is around 60% so I need to improve my BB play. Any advise is appriciated greatly!
  • 2 replies
    • ShyPh
      ShyPh
      Bronze
      Never mind the call part, that's 70% of the normal requiered equity. But I am interested in what ranges I could raise.
    • Korn
      Korn
      Bronze
      You should not 3-bet.

1. is correct, but does not imply raising
      2. is correct, but position is actually worth more if you don't have the initiative
      3. you don't. 3-betting pre-flop and betting the flop is less effective in terms of fold equity than calling pre-flop and raising the flop - but costs the same.

I 3-bet all hands with > 50% equity against a steal from the BB