Can't really decide: SSS or BSS

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      So here is the deal: I've got like $150 bankroll on PokerStars. I started with depositing $20 there three months ago. I can play like 15 hrs per week at most and I am happy with my progress so far cause I play mostly for fun. I can't really post hands cause I use Linux OS and Wine to play on PokerStars and there is some issue with the saved hands but anyway. I'll be learning the hard way.

But here's my dilemma: with those $150 and proper bankroll management I can safely play on the $0.1/0.25 limit with the SSS. And I also I can safely play on the $0.02/0.05 limit with the BSS cause of the 25 buy in rule which I am never gonna break again (had a nice $180 at Fulltilt some time ago. And I played on the $1/2 limit. Needless to say - I got completely and utterly raped. But it was an extremely valuable and needed lesson, haha).

So I reached like $100 with the SSS. But the last 2-3 weeks I played BSS on the $0.02/0.05 limit. And it is so much fun with the BSS. It feels really amazing to stack someone when I got the better hand and I know it...

We all know the pros and cons of the 2 strategies. I mean... I can clearly make $250 faster with the SSS (maybe a week or like 10 days without too much of those dreaded bad beats) so I can play with the BSS on the $0.05/0.1 limit but it won't be so fun while doing it. Or I can play the BSS on the lower level and eventually reach the 25 buyins requirement for the higher limit slower (I guess a whole month). But I will get more experience with the BSS this way and more fun. On the other hand I really want to reach the higher limit faster... I can easily upload the $100, it's not a problem but I want to reach the 25 buyins only with gaming.

I guess I am not asking advice or anything. I think I am gonna stick with the SSS and try to reach higher faster.

I am just sharing my thoughts here.

And I am also wondering have some of you guys had some similar dilemma? I would really like to read about it.
  • 9 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      My only advice is : If you are planning to continue with BSS, start with BSS on NL5.With 150$ you can start on NL10 too, but applying good BRM always helps.Anyway, its not about the time,but the experience you need in BSS in order to be a good and winning player(although Im pretty sure you will win the 20Buy-ins faster with BSS, as on NL5 winrates are astronomical).
      I had a similar dilemma in the beginning of my career, you can read about it in my blog. :)
      Good luck!
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I've kind of been between this. I started out playing SSS, got kinda bored. And moved to SnG's and BSS. The thing is, I was killing NL2, but it was still just so slow of progress, and also slow for bonus's (on ipoker) So with the $50 second starting bonus i'm trying to clear off mansion, I decided that I would rather play SSS, just to clear the points and build bankroll, and I think i'll continue to do that until im rolled for NL10.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Well my advise is to switch to BSS as soon as possible.

BSS is poker... sss is like "poker light" and although profitable, extremely boring.

If you learn BSS properly its best to start at the micro limits and work yourself up. It will go quicker then you think once you get the hang of it.

Just be sure to read the strategy etc. and not to tilt.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I read about succesful SSS players and I dont know how they do it, they must be playing for profit alone.
      I tried SSS for a short time, to a point where I was extremely bored and had to play BSS. I had been playing BS playchips for a couple of years before finding PS.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      I read about succesful SSS players and I dont know how they do it, they must be playing for profit alone.
      What I find sweet about the SSS is that it's very aggressive and you're all in or out of the game on the flop. Can't get more simple than this. And still the hands you play win like 75% of the time. It's amazing.
      But the hand range is so narrow that sometimes you play like 7 out of 500 hands. And that's when it becomes almost unbearable for me.

BSS challenges my brain and it's so rewarding to play with it.

Yeah. I'm gonna play the BSS only.
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      I think SSS is good for beginners, if you play for play chips its so different than for real. Which i quickly realized once receiving the $50 starting capital of pokerstartegy.

I think its a good bankroll builder, and helps get experience, watching hands etc, also good for preflop. But I hope to switch back to BSS as soon as having a larger bankroll (well already achieved, just faster to clear bonus on ipoker)... I would say if brand new go to SSS if you have "real" poker knowledge, move to BSS asap.
    • evildk2
      evildk2
      Bronze
      I can't really post hands cause I use Linux OS and Wine to play on PokerStars and there is some issue with the saved hands but anyway.

2 years later... :D What about FireFox handconverter plugin? I am using it to real-time post hands to my blog.
    • AlCaTrAzzALZ
      AlCaTrAzzALZ
      Bronze
      BSS = good if you want to 'play poker'
      SSS = good if you want to 'make money'
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      SSS doesn't respect a basic principle in life: if it gets more swingy, it must get more profitable. It should happen everywhere, because the greater the risk, the bigger the reward must be.

But SSS is swingy as hell and maybe, just maybe profitable at NL25. There are SSS players at higher stakes but they adjusted the strategy a bit.

SSS is good for 2 things i think:
      - play poker as a complete newbie;
      - free bonuses (even if i think you can easily do that by playing FL SH).