This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] El clásico: KK on A high flop

• rogue34
      rogue34
      Bronze
      PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
      Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $8.39 (420 bb)
      MP (Hero): $2.61 (131 bb)
      CO: $2.03 (102 bb)
      BU: $1.54 (77 bb)
      SB: $2.82 (141 bb)
      BB: $2.12 (106 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with K K
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.05, 1 fold, BTN 3-bets to $0.18, 2 players fold, Hero 4-bets to $0.40, BTN calls $0.22

Flop: ($0.83) Q 5 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.83) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, BTN calls $0.35

River: ($1.53) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.79 (all-in), MP (Hero) folds

Total pot: $1.53 (Rake: $0.05)
      BU wins $1.48

PF: I'm not sure about the 4bet size. Is it OK or should I raise bigger (or shove)?
      Flop: The Ace sucks - especially with his range being something like: TT+,ATs+,A5s-A2s,KJs+,AQo+. I choose to check and probably call not a very big bet.
      Turn: At the time his flop check back felt like he can't have an ace. So I bet for value from draws and JJ, TT. Though in hindsight he have a very few combos that I beat and he still calls all of his aces. Now I think I should've checked again and call a small bet. (Does it make sense to just call smaller bets?)
      River: I'm sure I'm beaten after his turn call and river bet so I fold.

What do you guys think?
  • 5 replies
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      Preflop bet sizing is perfect imo. However, villain is short stacked and going to the flop the SPR is approximately 1.3:1 so we could have shoved preflop, as the size of opponents stack in relation to the pot is very large, meaning that he is likely to already feel committed and call down a lot lighter.

Flop: I think we’re okay to check here. There aren’t many hands in his range that we get value from. I think he’s folding TT, JJ, KQs here and that’s about it. Anything else I think likely has you beat and he’s not likely to fold (maybe also A2s-A4s).

Turn: Betting looks a bit dodgey here. The 6d isn’t a scary card and same as the flop cbet, we’re probably only getting folds from a very small % of his range.

River: the 7c also isn’t a scary card. It opens up the straight draw but is villain really likely to be holding something like 98s or 43s? I think it’s possible but he’s most likely folding these preflop to your 4bet. I would have x/called here more as a bluffcatch than anything else.
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze
      Check turn. No better hands are ever folding and very few worse hands are calling.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      The preflop sizing is absolutely fine. As the guys mentioned above checking turn is probably the right play, because his not calling with many hands that we can beat.
    • MatoStar
      MatoStar
      Bronze
      4bet shove preflop is the best option if your aren't boss in 4bet spots :-) but against full-stack player the 4bet size is fine.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by MatoStar
      4bet shove preflop is the best option if your aren't boss in 4bet spots :-) but against full-stack player the 4bet size is fine.
      Yeah, pretty much in agreement here.
      Short stacks are never folding post-flop, so given them a chance to back out now while there is still time.
      They'll never fold AA of course, but they just might call with :Ax:

On the A-high flop, don't be afraid to CBet. Some worse might call, but most will fold. This way, we turn our equity into cash. When you check, what do you plan to do if he bets? Can you fold KK here vs a short stack?

I can't (much to my horror some times :coolface: )

All the best,
      VS