This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] Tell me Am I playing that wrong?

• kappozo
      kappozo
      Bronze
      Hey guys I fell like I don't know how to play this game, yes I'm -8BB down playing NL2 after 60k hands, believe it. This situations here happens so often and I think giving up is the best option and my motivation has gone until tomorrow, maybe.

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 6 players
      Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

gerconRB (UTG): $4.64 (232 bb)
      Forten55 (MP): $2.00 (100 bb)
      AlanLoppes (CO): $2.00 (100 bb)
      Esquil8 (BU): $3.78 (189 bb)
      SanDmitri4 (SB): $3.87 (194 bb)
      DRONI RUS (BB): $2.54 (127 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (AlanLoppes) is CO with 8 A
      2 players fold, AlanLoppes (CO) raises to $0.06, 2 players fold, DRONI RUS (BB) calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 2 9 8 (2 players)
      DRONI RUS (BB) checks, AlanLoppes (CO) bets $0.07, DRONI RUS (BB) calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.27) 8 (2 players)
      DRONI RUS (BB) checks, AlanLoppes (CO) bets $0.18, DRONI RUS (BB) raises to $0.51, AlanLoppes (CO) raises to $1.87 (all-in), DRONI RUS (BB) calls $1.36

River: ($4.01) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.01 (Rake: $0.14)

Showdown:
      AlanLoppes (CO) shows 8 A (three of a kind, Eights)
      (Equity - Pre-Flop: 65%, Flop: 16%, Turn: 7%, River: 0%)

DRONI RUS (BB) shows 9 8 (a full house, Eights full of Nines)
      (Equity - Pre-Flop: 35%, Flop: 84%, Turn: 93%, River: 100%)

DRONI RUS (BB) wins $3.87
  • 9 replies
    • DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      [I did not read spoiler]

There are like three hands that beat you OTT that BB is realistically calling with preflop and OTF: 99, 22 or 98s. If he has one of them then I think you’re just unlucky in this spot.

HOWEVER, in my experience, when a card pairs the board and your opponent shows aggression (e.g. check raising in this case) it usually means that they have something better than trips.

Here there aren’t many draws OTT so it could suggest he has a monster hand but I’d find it difficult to find the fold button here.
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze
      As played not folding trips with top kicker here. He will have many 8x in his range that can still take this line and you are ahead of. I would strongly consider removing offsuit aces like this from your CO opening range. You have no straight or flush possibility with this type of hand. Stick to something like A10o+ and A5o and consider dropping A6o-A9o. It is by no means a horrible open from a steal position but it will make you decisions much easier.
    • Sunrise1912
      Sunrise1912
      Bronze
      I would call the turn and call down any river as i trust he might got some bluffs/overplays that he can fold the turn with to our Jam.

He's got plenty of weaker 8s in his value range so shoving turn is also ok i guess.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      I like it as played
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      What do you think about sizing OTF? I think, we need more value and he would calls us with 9x, A8, FD still. - like 0,10 $
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      I like the idea of folding this hand preflop, and as Gridiron said go with AT+ and some A2, A3, A4.

On the turn I'd just probably just call, because it looks like a way ahead-way behind situation and we should pot control.
    • Arnalsan
      Arnalsan
      Silver
      folding preflop: it really depends on BU and blind players style to really evaluate if it's openable of note. In general aren't a potential hand to open it.
      OTF: size could be higher to the charge of draws and gain extra protection, despite he won't fold 2 pairs anyway.
      OTT: go broke you have a lot of value and villain might do it with 2 pairs+.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Willy411
      What do you think about sizing OTF? I think, we need more value and he would calls us with 9x, A8, FD still. - like 0,10 $
      On a wet board like this, with both straight and flush draws available to opponents, I like betting larger to make it more costly for them to call.

In this particular case, he isn't folding two pair, so no matter how well played the hand will be, you will lose.
      This happens, but not as often as it seems to.

All the best,
      VS
    • MatoStar
      MatoStar
      Bronze
      I would just call OTT. You want to let him bluff OTR some draws. Standard reg won't call your shove with worse hands (except of draws). Against fish I would more prefer shove, because he call us with random hands and also with trips.
      PF: at micros-huge rake - play tighter, ATo+ is definitely fine, it isn't a big deal if you will open A2o-A9o or not, you just avoid the problematic spots like this :-)