This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Passing AA

• mrpeterman
      mrpeterman
      Basic
      Anyone ever pass AA? Got knocked out of the WSOP Senior tourney when someone went all in with QQ. I had AA and called, but he rivered a Q. I was a 95.45% favorite and I was out. Had I not played the hand I would have still been in the tournament. I know I played correctly but just wondered would anyone pass AA
  • 2 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi mrpeterman,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

I'm going to bet you're far more experienced than a lot of people here -- playing the WSOP at all is a long term goal for most of us, and here you've already done it.

There are times when it is sensible to fold AA.
      For example, if the tournament pays the same amount to the top few players, you're on the bubble, and a short stack is about to hit the blinds, and there is a big stack between you and the shorty.
      You can fold your way into the money -- if you play -- even AA, the big stack can shove and then you must fold since you risk everything and gain nothing.

I've folded AA in this spot in double-or-nothing sit and go tournaments.
      Feels weird man!

How far off the bubble were you?

Great to have you aboard!
      VS
    • mrpeterman
      mrpeterman
      Basic
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi mrpeterman,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com!

I'm going to bet you're far more experienced than a lot of people here -- playing the WSOP at all is a long term goal for most of us, and here you've already done it.

There are times when it is sensible to fold AA.
      For example, if the tournament pays the same amount to the top few players, you're on the bubble, and a short stack is about to hit the blinds, and there is a big stack between you and the shorty.
      You can fold your way into the money -- if you play -- even AA, the big stack can shove and then you must fold since you risk everything and gain nothing.

I've folded AA in this spot in double-or-nothing sit and go tournaments.
      Feels weird man!

How far off the bubble were you?

Great to have you aboard!
      https://www.pokerstrategy.com/image/ranks/mini/moderator.pngVS
      Thanks for the reply, I doubt I would ever fold AA in my situation. Had I won that hand I would have been in position 400 in a payout of 888 players. Quite possibly my best opportunity to play for a bracelet.