This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] QQ turning in bluff c-bet

• Arnalsan
      Arnalsan
      Silver
      Hello all,

It was my second hand at the table and the only reading about MP and BTN player was there stacked and that mp was opening limping twice.

I decided to 3-bet (is this really a 3-bet or squeeze? - I'm going to consider as a 3-bet) to thin the field and play HU against Btn player or collect the dead money if everybody folds. Another reason was to shrink down the BTN's range excluding hands with a potential of nuts and trying to concentrate the game in top pair vs overpair.

I assigned to him a general isolation range of 22+, A7s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo
      As he cold-called I assigned a range of 99-JJ, AJs, AQs, AQo, KQs, KQo, KJs

The flop came the worst possible for me, but, OOP I decided to c-bet him and giving to him an idea that my range hit this board completely. Should I c-bet here?

On the turn - as he just calls my c-bet his range would be something 99-JJ, KQs, KQo, KJs and I really desire to c-bet again transforming my range in a bluff and signalling that I had an Ax.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      UTG: $1.85 (92.5 bb)
      MP: $1.02 (51 bb)
      CO: $2.92 (146 bb)
      BTN: $2.24 (112 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Qc: :Qs:
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.02, CO folds, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.18, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.40) :Ah: :Kd: :As: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, BTN calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.72) :5c: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.72) :6d: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

I would love to hear yours,

All the best,

Arnalsan
  • 9 replies
    • juhiimi
      juhiimi
      Silver
      This is a 3bet, but the size is very small, you could at least make it to 3,5x,you give him very good odds to call with the dead money in the pot, so i think his calling range is much wider then what you assigned.
      OTF your cbet is good, but the size again is to small, make it at least half pot.
      OTT i wouldnt turn my hand to a bluff i would just simply give up, he has some AXs hands (you gave him too good odds to cal with them pre) that will not raise OTF and im not sure he will fold a Kx hand IP.
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      As juhiimi wrote, bigger raise PF.
      OTF make the c-bet sence? Hands like AK, AQ you wouldnt c-bet.
    • LacsapR
      LacsapR
      Silver
      Definately check your bet sizes, both PRE and Flop way too small. Go Pot bet PRE
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      PF we should 3b bigger. I do not mind the smaller flop bet.
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      Yeah, preflop go for a bigger size. I don't know about the flop though, I think betting and checking are both fine.
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      Are we cbetting this every time?
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nitrol
      Are we cbetting this every time?

I think, we don't c-bet this flop anytime. Just as the exploite for example. Cause if we hit what we will do? no draws are here, we don't need protection.
      Small bet..We want value from lower PP?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      sorry, but this is about the worst way that you could have played. Kx never folds to a single bet, but most worse hands fold to a flop bet, so you make worse hands fold and better hands call (maybe JJ-TT can be stubborn). and then you just check it down and let him get to showdown with what looks like Kx. that's the opposite of what you want.

if we want to make Kx fold, we definitely have to bet more times, but that's definitely not a thing that we are doing with this hand in any reasonable gameplan. remember they also certainly have Ax in their range.
      this is definitely a flop check. if we want value from JJ and worse pairs, we can wait for later streets. they can also try to turn random garbage into bluffs, but we can check/call at least once - their range when we check is much weaker than their range when we bet and they continue.
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      sorry, but this is about the worst way that you could have played. Kx never folds to a single bet, but most worse hands fold to a flop bet, so you make worse hands fold and better hands call (maybe JJ-TT can be stubborn). and then you just check it down and let him get to showdown with what looks like Kx. that's the opposite of what you want.

if we want to make Kx fold, we definitely have to bet more times, but that's definitely not a thing that we are doing with this hand in any reasonable gameplan. remember they also certainly have Ax in their range.
      this is definitely a flop check. if we want value from JJ and worse pairs, we can wait for later streets. they can also try to turn random garbage into bluffs, but we can check/call at least once - their range when we check is much weaker than their range when we bet and they continue.
      100% agree