This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] 86s TP in 3bet pot

• juhiimi
      juhiimi
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $5.16 (103.2 bb)
      BB: $4.98 (99.6 bb) 89/14/4,4/27 FtoCbet:20(5) H:40
      UTG: $5 (100 bb)
      MP: $8.51 (170.2 bb)
      CO: $5 (100 bb)
      BTN: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :8d: :6d:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.35, BTN folds

Flop: ($0.90) :8s: :2h: :4h: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, BB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.90) :9c: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BB raises to $4.08 and is all-in, Hero folds

So this huge fish calls my 3bet. Prob it was a mistake to 3bet in the first place with this whale on BB.
      I bet OTF and OTT for protection and value. Should i go for pot controll OTT, and check/call? After he sips it in i dont know i mb put him on Ah9h, 99, 89 or some fd bluffs, what do you think?
  • 8 replies
    • xiaohetao
      xiaohetao
      Bronze
      I agree that there was no need to 3bet preflop. 86s was just too small and you were oop.

As played, flop bet was good and turn bet was good. Bet/fold is the best play ott IMO. Checking ott is also a fine option but you need to make a tougher decision if he bet behind.

When he jam ott, I don't think your hand could be good any more. As a passive player, he was very unlikely holding draws here. I would just fold.
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      For which reason we exactly bet OTT? Still protection against his broadways?
    • xiaohetao
      xiaohetao
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Willy411
      For which reason we exactly bet OTT? Still protection against his broadways?
      Betting ott is exactly for value. Against an 89/14 fish, he can definitely pay you with any pair or any draws at this point.
    • Tonyx86
      Tonyx86
      Bronze
      Er dont wanna play 86 against a fish oop. Pre i wouldn't 3bet or call this either.

As played the flop and turn bet is fine. The raise is ugly but ur fold should be best line here. A call isnt out of any discussion. Dont think he is sooo strong here. We still have some clean outs. The turn improves only his 9x hands and probably opened up some more draws in his range. Overs+draw.

But anyway, there should be better spots to stack off this fish!
    • CucumbaMan
      CucumbaMan
      Silver
      As played, flop and turn is well played. As other mentioned I'm not sure we wanna play a hand against a fish OOP with 86s.
    • tiltmonk
      tiltmonk
      Bronze
      What do you smoke my friend ? :f_biggrin: You are 3b vs fish OOP on NL5 without a hand. The simplest possible play call or fold preflop.
      The way you played postflop is kind of standard. IMHO.
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      For me perfect to call PF. Not strong hand but min open from BTN and vs fish!
    • GridironAssassin
      GridironAssassin
      Bronze
      He has played 89% of hands, so 36 hands, and he has raised 14% of those, so 5 raises. So he is raising once every 7 hands or so. I know it is only 40 hands but he is surely trending towards passive pre. Is 86s really the type of hand we want to 3bet here.

To me, against a fish, this is a slam dunk defend pre. Call and play a pot with a high SPR, which these types of hands want. Now we are what, getting close to 5 stack to pot ratio? This gets super awkward very quick.

Obviously you were 3 betting as a bluff here. This hand is too valuable to bluff here when you can call and see a flop. 3 bets should be high card heavy here and then some junky stuff if you want to 3b/fold. I don't think you need to be bluffing someone like this. Some one who is playing this many hands is going to have kicker issues in most every pot.