Live MTT: Did I play this wrong?

• AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      This weekend I played a 25k guaranteed live tourney with 200+ entries. The starting stacks were 10,000 chips with 45 min. blinds, so I had plenty of time to wait for my spots.

With some 15 min. for the end of day one, I had a little over 18k in chips. I had been playing pretty tight all day, and the table's chip leader (35k+) had been limping all kinds of A-rags, small connectors and other trash hands, but was incredibly fortunate to flop a sick bunch of straights, sets, 2 pairs and flushes. His VPIP must have been well over 50% and his PFR less than 10%. He limped in every ace he got, and he hit the board hard every time (he was showing every hand). But with big pocket pairs or big aces he raised every time.

With blinds at 400/800, he limped once again in the CO. Button folds and SB completes. I was in the BB with QQ. I raised to 4,800. He stops for a while, and decides to call. Because I know he has an ace, if the flop didn't have an ace I was pushing.

The flop was 4s, 2c, 4c. I shoved my remaining 13k and he insta-calls with A-4 os. Of course, remaining streets don't help me and I'm busted.

A friend of mine keeps telling me that it was a big mistake on my part, more so based on my reads on the villain. Was it? Is there any way I could have laid this down?

ps. Villain was wearing a hood, scarf and glasses, and he had a strange continuous body movement at all times, so it was nearly impossible to get any kind of physical reads on his reaction.
  • 4 replies
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      chances are you would go broke anyway here

could raise bit less preflop and even if you gave him free card on flop there was no way of putting him on a 4 and over pairs to board is so hard to put down and chips would go in on the turn or river

poker is sick some times & luck has a big part in any MTT but thats why BRM works and any MTT player should think of how much they win over year and not one tourney or small period ,
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      you did good cause at that stage you should play your cards and pushing there was the right thing to do. Tough luck . I also lost when my opponent needed runner runner for a full boat
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I think you played it fine, I mean he can't hit his rag all the time, and you are probably called by worse hands here. A2 , A3, A5, low pockets and so on.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Even if you didn't push the flop - I would have my money in by the turn at the latest.

Tough luck that he flops the trip 4s - but I dont see myself getting away from this hand - with given blind levels, stacks and the guy's image