This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

My 2 months of poker experience

• Passero
      Passero
      Bronze
      I've been playing for exact 2 months so i thought it would be a good idea to analyse my game and see how i can improve.

In the 2 months, i learned a lot. I lost some, i won some, i got mad on bad beats, coolers,... I smilled when my aces held up on a preflop all in versus 2 players (KK and QQ). I almost cried when i lost my biggest pot (40$ on 10NL) with a full house vs a higher full house but most of all... i had a great time!

The title could be somewhat wrong because in fact, i started playing poker more than a year ago but then i never read many books, i didn't analyse my hands, didn't listen to people and most of all, i didn't try to beat tilting... That's why i quit after a few months.

2 Months ago i played a freeroll on unibet from a local pokerforum and i noticed i had 10$ left on my unibet account so why not give it a shot...

I started at the lowest limit (4NL). 10$ is way to little to play 4NL. I had only 2.5BI's but it seemed enough. In no time i won some buy ins. After 12K hands i had a profit of +/- 170$ only from 4NL. According to HEM i have a winrate of +/- 30BB/100hands witch i find very good!

After those 12k hands i thought it would be a good idea to give it a shot at 10NL. Slightly below my BR but considering the fact that i crush 4NL i thought it wouldn't be that bad. I also told myself that when my BR drops below 100 i go back to 4NL.

My first few sessions at 10NL were a disaster. In no time i lost almost 100$. I changed my game. I didn't made the same desissions as i would do on 4NL witch costs my a lot of money.

so i was below 100$ and i returned to 4NL. Then again, in no time i compensated the los and i would give it another try at 10NL. Perhaps if i grind 4NL to the max, i would have a larger winrate but it has no use to stick at 4NL. I definitly would move up the ladder and i want to adjust for 10NL. My brother gave me Harrington on Cash Games so i start reading. I also analysed my biggest hand to see if i made the correct calls and surprisingly enough, i made a lot of terrible calls. It made me think... What did i do wrong, how can i improve?

So since then, after each session i go to HEM and look at my biggest and medium pots to see what i did and to replay the hand. It really helped me a lot!

So i got comforteable at 10NL. My winrate is not that high as on 4NL but it's ok. I played almost 40k hands at 10NL and it's now almost 5bb/100 hands. Considering the tilting and upmoving to 10NL i don't find it that bad...

So after 40k hands and a profit of almost 300$ i wanted to change the client. Unibet is a nice client, full of fish (i always can find enough tables with a vpip of 35+ or even 40+). I was looking for a free bankroll or bonus. I stumbled on this site and noticed i allready created an account last year but i never used it. I never used that account to create a free bankroll so i thought it would be a good idea to do so. Because i allready had an account on pokerstars, party poker and titan poker i made a free bankroll on full tilt poker. It's not the highest but the rakeback looks very nice.

So i started with 50$ at FTP on 10NL. From the very moment i noticed that the level is much higher on FTP than on unibet. When i get action i almost can be sure that the opponent also has a very strong hand.
      In the beginning i had some good sessions and i made a few BI's profit. Than i had a brakedown. I don't know why or how but i started tilting. I hade some bad luck loosing when i was 93/7 in front and KK running into aces a few times so i started tilting.
      I know i should stop when i am mad because i can't think clearly when i'm mad and i make wrong desissions but i couldn't stop. I wanted to compensate my loss so i moved all in much more and i lost even more.

After a few days i started to analyse those sessions and noticed i really have to do something about my tilting... Untill this day i still haven't find a really good solution but i'm working on it.

One thing i really learned is that i don't have to look at the amount i won or lost but i have to look at the fact if i made the correct call or not. When i loose a big pot when i'm in front when we go all in, then i made the correct call and i shouldn't be mad. It's only variance so on the long term i should not worry about it. On the other hand when i make a call instead of folding and i suckout on someone, than i should be mad because i made the wrong call and variance will make me loose more money than i win on that single pot.

I also learned to play specific hands in a completly different way. AK for example. I tend to overplay this a lot. I 3bet, raise, go all in, on the flop when i miss i bet, raise,... These days i am more carefull with AK. I want to play small pots instead of big pots with them. TPTK isn't always that good when you go to showdown.

Overpairs is also a problem type of hand. For example i have TT and the board comes 852 rainbow. What do i do? What do i do if someone goes all in? I used to call this but i notice this is more -EV. Sometimes people will go all in TPTK on such a board so A8 or something but most of the times i am beat with a set or a higher overpair so i play these types of hand more passive on such a board.

I also think more on what a cbet would mean from villain. I first put him on a range and if i can be sure it's a pure cbet where he mist the flop, i tend to call or raise, depending on my hand. I do the exact same when i want to cbet. On a dry board i cbet much less because i don't have any FE and i would only be called with people who have me beat. I do cbet against people with a fold to cbet% higher than 60%, no mather what the board is. If they call i can be pretty sure they have something but the FE is just to big not to give it a try to cbet.

Perhaps a large post but i think it's important to analyse yourself sometimes. I played 2 months and almost 52k hands so i thought it would be a good idea to refelct on my game.

I hope that the conclusions i made are correct. People who would give some other advice or think i made the wrong conclusion, just tell me. I am always willing to learn!

And last but not least, my 2 month graph :)

• 2 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey Passero,

What a great first post.

I really like the way you think about hands and the way you analyze your plays after the session as i do this also and i find it really helps to find the leaks.

I also like your approach to learning as IMO it is this constant learning and re-learning that makes us a better player and not by just playing thousands of hands.

As for working on your tilt problems, then maybe these articles could be of interest to you.

Regards,
      -Steve
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Nice graph. 50k hands in two months, you really took poker seriosly. ;)

It's very important for your game to be aware of your leaks. About tilting - you can only limit it but never eliminate it completely :D

Keep it up.