This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Tt Nl5

• Sonydahaka
      Sonydahaka
      Bronze
      $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Holdem
      3 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      BTN ($9.33)
      Hero (SB) ($7.66)
      BB ($10.05)

Pre-flop: ($0.07, 3 players) Hero is SB T:heart: T:club:
      BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: 4:spade: 2:spade: J:club: ($1.20, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, BB raises to $2.90, Hero folds

Final Pot: $3

BB wins $4.90 ( won +$1.40 )
      Hero lost -$1.50

Is it ok to bet the flop in this situation? Opponent is kind of Tag.
  • 8 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Definitely ok to bet flop, theres good chance he was trying to defend his blinds

nh
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Nice hand, well played.
    • CingCoCo
      CingCoCo
      Bronze
      Sry guys just took a look over here cause I was curious whats going on in the english forums and saw this hand.
      I gotta say I dont like that donkbet. Not a bit!
      I mean whats your point in doing this?
      You say villains is kinda TAGish so hes propably thinking as well.
      Now if you were sitting there in a 3bet pot and be confronted with that kinda donkbet on a J high flop - whatd you think about your opponents hand?
      You can rule out AA and KK since HERO would have shipped that pre (since hes a TAG as well, as I asume).
      So the only overpair left is QQ - but why would you donk that if you can be close to 100% certain of a cbet?
      So what else is out there? AJ? Realy unpropable HERO would have called that hand pre.
      JJ? Same argument as QQ - PLUS the pot ist already THAT big so HERO can easily risk a cb by villain and still get it all in on the river - even though if villain doesnt cbet that board hed most likely fold to any action on the turn anyways (except an A or K hits which improves villains most likely holding, AK).
      So whats left? Underpairs and pure bluffs and - again assumpting villain is reasonable, TAG and thinking - he surely know that. Therefore hed bluff any 2 cards in this spot. We have a marginal holding with little SD value.
      Now lets talk about villains range. Lets say he 3bets AQ, AK, TT+ in this spot and maybe some SC and smaller PP. Why wouldnt he 3bet AJ, AT and KQ? Well because hed have to fear that he isolates himself against a stronger range if HERO calls his 3bet - therefore its most likely hed defend those hands passively (which is standard play even on mid and high stakes - even at SH tables).
      Now lets start to count: AQ and AK got about 27% EQ left with that flop and there are 32 combinations for those hands.
      TT gut 1 left and wed split. JJ has 3. QQ, KK and AA got 6 each.
      This means we split against 1 of his holdings, lose to 9 and win against 32.
      But hed turn 100% of his holdings into bluffs against our range and wed have to fold.
      Now tell me again why donkbet/fold is a good line here.

Edit:

And I didnt even start to talk about balancing this line with other holdings - even though that propably aint that important on NL5.
    • Sonydahaka
      Sonydahaka
      Bronze
      I think that players a this level don't think so far, so in most of the times when you are confronted with a raise after a bet in a multyway pot, you are behind with just second pair. I bet on this flop because i wanted to know where i was standing.
      Villain had in this situation a set of 66.
    • CingCoCo
      CingCoCo
      Bronze
      Sixes wont make a set here.
      Just ask yourself in general: What do you do in spots where you are confronted with a donkbet on 2 low 1 high card boards.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You raise!
    • Sonydahaka
      Sonydahaka
      Bronze
      Ups sorry!!! a set of 44
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Because balancin isn't important on such a limit and players are just bad in general I think donking is ok because it makes it easy to play the hand. If you c/c you don't know what to do on the turn and river and it's hard to play. nh!
      c/f is the other option btw.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar