This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] Donk 3way with two pairs

• Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $5.98 (119.6 bb)
      BB: $3.13 (62.6 bb)
      UTG: $9.75 (195 bb)
      MP: $5.19 (103.8 bb)
      CO: $10.44 (208.8 bb)
      BTN: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Ac: :Js:
      UTG raises to $0.15, MP calls $0.15, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.13, BB folds

Flop: ($0.50) :As: :Th: :Jh: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, UTG calls $0.35, MP folds

Make the donk sence? Cause I think, they can check behind often.

Turn: ($1.20) :2d: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.85, UTG calls $0.85
  • 5 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      I think this is absolutely a squeeze or then a fold pre-flop. Your had is easily dominated and off-suit, it doesn't play that well postflop. You do not want to be playing this hand vs 2 villains and out of positions vs both.

When we think about UTG opening range and MP calling range I think this is quite an action flop. I don't like donking that much. I would actually be a bit careful here. Even though you have a strong hand with top 2 pair the villains' ranges are tight. There are sets, straights with KQ and a lot of strong draws.

You are OOP with a hand that looks strong but might easily be dominated by many better hands. I think donking the flop puts you in difficult spots on later streets.
    • jeysan
      jeysan
      Bronze
      You have strong hand in more situation you will be the winer
    • Willy411
      Willy411
      Bronze
      PFR, I understand, good.

So you go c/c OTF?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Hmm yea I guess that is the best thing to do now.
    • Sunrise1912
      Sunrise1912
      Bronze
      It seems all options on the flop are not that bad. You can either check/call, either check/raise or donk.

In fact, im in favour of donking here in a multiway. Check/raising looks too strong and may fold some of the hands we beat (AK/AQ, JT, QT, KT, etc).

Check/calling puts us in a tough spots letting the initiative in the villian's hands. There are also tons of cards we hate on the turn and we might have difficult decisions later on

Donking is great as we can do it with a made hand or as a semi bluff. I like the sizings as well. I am firing 2/3 on a blank river as well and expect tons of calls from weaker two pairs and Ax that might think we missed our draw. Check/folding on K/Q river and betting 1/2/folding to action on a heart river