This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] 88 on a 3-suited low card only board

• Bernasconi
      Bernasconi
      Bronze
      Should I fold this hand and when should I fold? Or was it okay to go to the showdown and call on the river?

Preflop
      Standard open raise with 88 from MP. Villain is known with 252 hands and seems like to be a tight regular. Range will be AQ+, KQ+ and Pairs I guess.

Flop
      I do not improve but I hold an over pair so I go for CBet/Value bet half-pot-sized.

Turn
      Bad card for be because it completes the flush. I decide to further bet half-pod-sized. Bad hands will fold and the flush might raise in this situation so that I have a clear fold. He calls. I do honestly not know with which hands from his range he would do that. Maybe flush slow-play?!

River
      No improvement for me. Luckily not a fourth diamond. I decide to go for a check/call play because I did not want to fold. Bad play?

Result
      Looks like I lost to him making his set on the river. Bad beat or bad play from me?

888 Poker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 348 BB (VPIP: 14.71, PFR: 9.66, 3Bet Preflop: 2.17, Hands: 238)
      BB: 189 BB (VPIP: 53.85, PFR: 38.46, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 13)
      UTG: 100 BB (VPIP: 15.60, PFR: 7.80, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 143)
      UTG+1: 100 BB (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
      MP: 120 BB (VPIP: 18.58, PFR: 8.56, 3Bet Preflop: 2.82, Hands: 697)
      Hero (MP+1): 83.5 BB
      MP+2: 100 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 9.56, 3Bet Preflop: 2.22, Hands: 252)
      CO: 65 BB (VPIP: 67.44, PFR: 18.60, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 43)
      BTN: 107.5 BB (VPIP: 18.32, PFR: 13.36, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 265)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:heart: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, MP+2 calls 3 BB, CO calls 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (13 BB, 4 players) 2:spade: 3:diamond: 4:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets 6.5 BB, MP+2 calls 6.5 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (26 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 13 BB, MP+2 calls 13 BB

River: (52 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
      Hero checks, MP+2 bets 15 BB, Hero calls 15 BB

MP+2 shows 7:diamond: 7:spade: (Three of a Kind, Sevens)
      (Pre 18%, Flop 11%, Turn 5%)
      Hero mucks 8:heart: 8:diamond: (One Pair, Eights)
      (Pre 82%, Flop 89%, Turn 95%)
      MP+2 wins 77 BB
  • 5 replies
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver
      Man, I am so not familiar with FR ranges, but if you put MP on pairs + suited broadways, which hands do you still beat at the river? 55 and 66. Why would these hands bet the river?
      Cbet should be bigger. You want them to invest to much with FDs, weaker PP or A2s/A3s/A4s. 50% PS is to good of a price for hands like this, especially if they are IP.
      Turn I would shut down. Maybe call a small bet. 55-77 are the only hands that you beat. 44-22 has a set, 99 as well and the flush completes.
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      First things first I would recommend to play with full stack.
      OTT I would not cbet. Just check and call not so crazy bet. He could be still betting with some draw, or just stabbing after you checked.
      OTR is a clear fold. This sizing is almost never a bluff.
    • Bernasconi
      Bernasconi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sdf256
      First things first I would recommend to play with full stack.
      Thank you I changed my behavior on the tables because of your comment. I started to add chips as soon as I loose a hand which brings me significantly below 100BB.

Originally posted by sdf256
      OTT I would not cbet. Just check and call not so crazy bet. He could be still betting with some draw, or just stabbing after you checked.
      OTR is a clear fold. This sizing is almost never a bluff.
      Seems reasonable to me, I will take that into future hands.

Originally posted by Netgames999
      Man, I am so not familiar with FR ranges, but if you put MP on pairs + suited broadways, which hands do you still beat at the river?
      Honestly this question was not in my mind while playing the hand. This is something I have to improve which should help to make these decisions easier in the future.

Originally posted by Netgames999
      Turn I would shut down. Maybe call a small bet. 55-77 are the only hands that you beat. 44-22 has a set, 99 as well and the flush completes.
      True.

Thank you guys for your feedback and help. I think that I learned a lot reviewing this hand which I can apply in several future hands.
    • pguest
      pguest
      Bronze
      Bernasconi, have you been playing with less than a full stack (aka 100 BB)?

Don't do that unless you've been following some SS strategy that I'm not aware of. Just enable the autoreload to the max, on 888.

Standard raise pre. For NL2 FR, I've been using 4x rather than 3x or 2.5x.
      2 to 2.5x would simply give good pot odds for the callers (specially the BB), IMHO.

OTF, you won't have much fold equity in this board, IMHO. So, which hands of your range would you cbet here? Overpairs, sets and high FDs?

The problem is: your overpair is not that good. Better overpairs, such as JJ-99, could've called you pre and won't fold to a 1/2 cbet.
      And now, you are behind 44-22 and 55 and 66 are more connected to this board than your hand is.
      You also could be against Axs, Kxs and any 2 suited figures would have position on you and a good equity.

That said, I'd go for a bigger cbet, OTF. But that won't necessarily make your life easier OTT, because you would continue with a mediocre overpair e oop.

OTT, check/call small bet and check/fold river, for me.
    • pguest
      pguest
      Bronze
      BTW, avoid being result oriented.
      In the future, if you can/wish, please add (FR) to the title of your post.

Most of the time, I don't look at the hands here because the vast majority is SHanded, and the ranges and the postflop plays are a lot more agressive than FR...