This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL5] AA on monotone flop

• DannyHorsley
      DannyHorsley
      Bronze
      888 Poker - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 105 BB (VPIP: 41.27, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 4.00, Hands: 64)
      BTN: 22 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 8.16, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 50)
      SB: 109.4 BB (VPIP: 20.27, PFR: 17.12, 3Bet Preflop: 10.20, Hands: 229)
      BB: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 21.82, PFR: 18.98, 3Bet Preflop: 2.63, Hands: 285)
      Hero (UTG): 123.2 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

Hero raises to 4 BB, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (9.4 BB, 2 players) 3:spade: 2:spade: 5:spade:
      Hero bets 8 BB, CO calls 8 BB

Turn: (25.4 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero bets 20 BB, CO calls 20 BB

River: (65.4 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      Hero bets 40 BB, CO raises to 73 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 33 BB

So I was reviewing hands today and this one stood out because of the monotone flop making it a bit trickier for me to play.

I make a continuation bet, as I do not want to worry too much about the monotone flop. My thought pattern with these types of flops are "if I am scared of them, surely everybody else is?". Perhaps the bet sizing could have been a bit smaller though as I'd expect villain to fold most hands here without a FD.

On the turn I fire a second barrel, again with similar thinking to the flop. I think he is folding anything but a spade or a queen at this point.

On the river I fire a third barrel as I thought that the king picks up a lot of hands that I could get some value from. However, reflecting now, it appears that the only hands this may be was KJ or KT. He would have certainly bet AK, and KQ beats me here. Anything else he would have folded OTF or OTF, unless he was drawing. In which case I wonder if a check would have been better here or at least a smaller bet. When he reraises me I'm stuck between thinking that he is playing a broken flush draw, a flush or a set.

Writing that made me think that my AA was really just a bluff catcher and in hindsight I should of folded... did I get lucky or did I go bust? As always I shall show a little later on :f_cool:
  • 6 replies
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver
      Having odds of 5.4:1 + him having the chance for a weird hand on the river, I could not fold here.
      I agree, that a raise on the river looks very strong, but I think the only hands that would call,call,raise here are some :As: +low:spade: . Strong AsXs would 3bet preflop. Weaker flushs would prob. raise to protect against your :As: and :Ks: + they want to get value in case you don't have a :spade: before the fourth :spade: hits and you shut down.
      2-pair or sets prob. just call the river.
      Believing all that + the odds I get, I would call the river.
    • zetozinho
      zetozinho
      Bronze
      Pre-Flop: Once he had position over you, the pre-flop call is perfectly reasonable and allows us to exclude hands as JJ++, AK, AQ's from his range.

Flop: Your bet on the flop is a good size bet. You could've chosen to bet the pot on such a monotone and coordinated flop, but it's not a disaster bet. The real draw that could harm you there is the flushdraw.
      From his call we can assume he had a spade card on his holding, most likely an A, K, Q, J.

Turn: The Qd here is a card that favors you. As you said, is a card that fits his range and your attempt to extract value here is the best option. Once he called, it's reasonable to assume that either he's got a Q or he has some sort of hand like a set and he's trying to trick you with a double float.

River: The Kc is again a card that helps you to extract some value. The 4th spade didn't come, so at this point the flushdraw is the least of your concerns. You should feel pretty confident betting this river.

About the his river raise:
      This king completes a hand that beats you: KQ. This is a holding that's consistent with the way he played the entire hand: he had two overcards on the flop and possibly a flushdraw and the turn helped him, as well as the river.
      If he had KQ's /AsXs you were beaten a long time ago, but I believe he would have raised you on the flop/turn (mostly on the turn) with this type of holding, since you were the agressor pre-flop.
      A set also beats you from the beginning, but I think is very unlikely for the same reason I mentioned for KQ's.
      In short, I believe his river raise is sustained by a hand made on the turn/ river with the K, Q and you should not be afraid to call here.

By the way, if you could post the hand he showed would be nice.
    • Sunrise1912
      Sunrise1912
      Bronze
      Dont post the results or post it after few more opinions.

I would bet smaller on the flop and turn and fold to the river raise. Spare yourself whats left. You are never good here.
    • clovenhoofsdoom
      clovenhoofsdoom
      Silver
      I think as well a fold OTR is best option. You were betting 2x very large on a monotone board with strong range and he did not fold. I think blockbet-fold would be the way to go, because this line Villain takes is rarely for a bluff. Usually recreational Villains are quite passive so when he raises, he probably has your single pair beat.
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      Agree with Sunrise. I might actually consider x/folding OTR. But I guess a small bet to block his possible bet can be fine, but definitely dont bet this big.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Originally posted by Sunrise1912
      Dont post the results or post it after few more opinions.

I would bet smaller on the flop and turn and fold to the river raise. Spare yourself whats left. You are never good here.
      Agree with this. On monotone flops people will fold way too much anyway. When you bet almost pot you don't get any light calls. Villain will continue with a stronger range. Same thing OTT, now I would expect him to be quite strong. And when he raises OTR, those are just almost never a bluff especially when you have shown that amount of strength.