This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] QJo SB vs BTN open - block bet?

• iNeverHit
      iNeverHit
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $2.54 (127 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      UTG: $6.08 (304 bb)
      MP: $2.42 (121 bb)
      CO: $2.56 (128 bb)
      BTN: $2 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with :Jh: :Qd:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.14) :6d: :Qh: :4s: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.07, Hero calls $0.07

Turn: ($0.28) :9s: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

River: ($0.64) :4c: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BTN folds

Results:
      $0.64 pot ($0.02 rake)
      Final Board: :6d: :Qh: :4s: :9s: :4c:
      Hero mucked :Jh: :Qd: and won $0.62 ($0.31 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.31 net)

Hi, played this hands against basically unknown player - 16/16/0,0/34 hands

Preflop is call for me, it's bottom of my calling range form SB vs BTN and player on the BB is not loose or agressive player so I'm not afraid of squeeze or overcall.

On the flop I call his cbet, standard line as BTN open raise range is pretty wide and this flop is ideal for him to cbet with almost whole range.

On the turn I want to call again as he can still have lot of weaker hands and many draws. My plan is to ch/fold the river if some dangerous card comes- like spade or card completing some of his straight draws - 5,T, 7, K etc. and I planned to block bet if blank falls on the river because he can have quite lot of busted draws but he can also have monsters and I can't call big third barell on the river with my hand as I don't know what is his bluff frequency on the river.

On the river I decided to block bet as blank comes - I don't want to be bluffed out of the hand if he has busted draws (not sure how many players are capable of big river bluffs on NL2 though) and if he has monster he will reraise me and I can fold.

Problem is, my range is pretty obvious here...I pretty much can't have any very strong hands and while can have them. My range is lot weaker than his. He has fullhouses, AA, KK and my best hand here is KQs/o (I 3bet AQ SB vs BU as I have linear 3bet range there) because with set I would c/r turn and I don't have QQ+ in calling range obviously. If he knows this he can exploit me easily...but hey, we are on NL2 and I don't think players are aware of range vs range things too much. :f_biggrin:

What do you think? I think it's pretty easy hand until the river but river is quite hard if you don't want to overfold here...any ideas how to play it? thanks
  • 1 reply
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver
      Why not x/fold the river. As you said, 3barrel bluffs are not common at NL2. If he has an airball, the chance of him xbehind the river and giving up is quite high.
      I don't want to be bluffed is a very weak reasoning IMO. Better ones are: "I want some money from QT or 9x, which might check with SD value." "I want him to fold better hands."
      I think the hands which raise or call and win at SD outweigh the few that might call and lose at SD. That means you need him to fold better hands. I don't see that happing for that price. 0.20 into 0.64 is not enough for KQ to fold.
      I think you are burning money with that play.