This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

HU sng, avoid high variance line when you have an edge over opponent?

• Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      Hello!

I just viewed a video where the coach mentioned that sometimes it can be a good idea to avoid high variance spots (like calling a 3bet shove 25bb deep with pocket fours) when you think you have an edge over your opponent. This made me realise that I normally view HU sngs as I would view a heads up cash game, in other words, I use to take every ev+ spot that is presented to me.

How do you think about similar spots? Do you think its better to let go of marginal spots sometimes in HUsngs against bad players? It sort of makes sence when I think about it now...
  • 3 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Sure it's reasonable adjustment especially versus tight/passive opponents. I don't only mean that versus such villain standard raise-call might be -ev itself but that it's possible to go more for small ball lines. E.g. versus nits it can be fine to minraise most hands and just "steal their stack" letting go much more hands as default when facing resistance. Or versus passive calling machine type you can often be pretty face up with limping weaker hands and raising better preflop and not face much problems postflop.

On other hand versus some of aggro fish you are often kind of forced to take more thin stack offs as you are then much more dependent of card distribution. Well of course depends if it's hyper sng or deeper one.
    • Janusrichmond
      Janusrichmond
      Bronze
      thanks for your answer! I play mostly Hypers, and what you say makes sence!
    • maniac
      maniac
      Silver
      if you want that explained watch the moshman beginner spin and go series.

greets

maniac