[NL2-NL10] NL 5 (SH) - A6o, trips on flop - played too weakly/passively?

• EddieNewman
      EddieNewman
      Bronze
      No specific reads on my opponent other than that he was somewhat worse than the average player at the limit (i. e. pretty awful). When I was thinking the hand through right after it had happened, I thought I should've raised the river, but now I tend to think that raising on the flop would've even be better.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|[color:#C00000]saw showdown[/color]

MP ($4.36)
      CO ($7.45)
      [color:#C00000]Button ($5.90)[/color]
      SB ($9.69)
      [color:#C00000]Hero ($14.36)[/color]
      UTG ($24.02)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , 6:club: .
      UTG calls $0.05, MP calls $0.05, CO calls $0.05, Button calls $0.05, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.27) 3:spade: , A:club: , A:spade: [color:#0000FF](5 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, [color:#CC3333]Button bets $0.2[/color], Hero calls $0.20, UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($0.67) Q:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]Button bets $0.45[/color], Hero calls $0.45.

River: ($1.57) 2:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, [color:#CC3333]Button bets $0.5[/color], Hero calls $0.50.

Final Pot: $2.57
  • 4 replies
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      NL 5 (SH) - A6o, trips on flop - played too weakly/passively?

Yes. You have to be more agressive. This stuff was all pretty weak/tight. Look, your whole purpose in NL is to isolate the weak players and get their stack in the middle. This is a chance right here. I'm going to go ahead and guess that not many NL5'ers are strong, quality players. Isolate and make a plan to take the whole thing. Don't be weak/tight.
    • EddieNewman
      EddieNewman
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice.

I was going to write that mono- or duosyllabic answers don't help me a whole lot when I saw the edit.

The reason that I'm very careful/timid or whatever you wanna call it with hands like overpairs and TPGK is probably that I lost quite a lot of money by overplaying those hands in the last number of days (losing mostly not by way of bad beats but because I ran into sets/trips or two pairs with TPTK or overpairs and couldn't get away). I'm probably hypercorrecting now and not pushing those hands as hard as I should. Even though I'm beating the limit comfortably, many big hands (AK-AJ, KK until tonight) still lose money. Sample size is only 2,1k hands however, so maybe I just haven't had my share of profitable situations with them yet.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that my preflop raises are too small. In the KK hand I got called by 98o, for example, which might not have happened with a bigger preflop raise.
    • LastEmu
      LastEmu
      Bronze
      3xBB + 1xbb per limper is way too small for these limits. 2100 is nothing, don't worry about it :)
    • Sleyde
      Sleyde
      Black
      bet flop!