Strategies to low limits, rebuy and speed

• Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Hi,

I am just a rookie aquiring some knowledge of MTT. Yesterday there was a 1k garanteed rebuy speed tourney, less than 200 people with $1 bi and i though i will give a shot here. It was my first rebuy tourney. I see a lot of people going all in with nothing on preflop just to double up.

My strategy: I began with 3k, made a rebuy for 0,80 cents to have a 6000 stack. This rebuy was to double up with good hands. I received AKo, one lag player raise to 6BB and I pushed all in, he called. He had 87o, and turned a 7 X(
      Made 2 rebuy to go back with 6k chips. The blinds were pretty high at the moment sice its a speed tourney, i pushed with AQo, AJs, JJ. I was always ahead in my shoves. Here I builded my stack.

The first break comes in and i received the oportunity to make an add-on. 0,80 cents for 4,5k chips. I tought it aint worth, since i had 50k already. After break i just (tried) played the solid tag poker. A lot of guys were shoving with nothing and went dow pretty quick to 90 people (30 payed). In this stage i was only stealing blinds from shortstackers.

The bubble aproaches and people tight up. I was with above average but still in push-fold phase. I didnt received any good cards/spots and i spended the whole bubble just folding. I finished in 23th, with $7 bucks.

My doubts: when do you make rebuys. When do you stop playing and quit the tourney. How to act with crazy maniacs after first break. Is 100buy in brm adequate? I have $125, and it seems pretty dangerous making a lot of rebuys.

Sorry for my english, thank you for your time :D
  • 9 replies
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Your strategy was pretty ok.

First of all make a rebuy at the beginning, you can push pretty lightly and make loose calls with suited connectors and stuff. No point to rebuy when blinds are pretty high and you can not play proper poker with your stack.

I like to call down crazy maniacs with pocket pairs and AT+ KJ+ hands.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      And about the brm question. 100bi still seems very dangerous
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alverine
      And about the brm question. 100bi still seems very dangerous
      when playing rebuys you its allways better to double stack & try to build stack in rebuy stage

allow yourself so many rebuys + add-on so if you allow 5 r+a then * this 100bi and this is figure for bankroll

as for being rookie stick to freezeouts for time
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      whats freezeout?

is an addon really worth? With 50k, 4,5k add on dont help much
    • Dante63s
      Dante63s
      Bronze
      whats freezeout?
      A basic MTT with no rebuys.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Thanks everyone

yesterday i played another rebuy tourney. But it went pretty bad, losting $13 :(

How it all begins: After 20 min of game, received AKo and i go all in. Received 3 callers and losted for AQ with a Qxx flop. Made 2 rebuys, received AA and pushed. No callers. Pushed with A9o in late position, one caller and pot splited. 15 mins left to the first break, the blinds were huge and i was in hurry to double up. I began to loose and push very lightly. Heres when the nightmares comes: I losted all my shoves. In the last 10 minutes I made a lot of shoves just to double up and lost a lot of money.

What should i do in that situation? Quit the tourney?

I think im gonna stop playing these tournaments. $13 is a lot for my actual bankroll
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      listen to the advice , & stick to freezeouts until you know what your doing in rebuys

rebuys is great for players with experiance taking advantage of players with little of just few years experiance , in rebuys you need to build a stack & allowing up to 10 rebuys will let you do this
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Yes, i think i did a lot of mistakes. Im going back to rebuys when i have 200 bi. And low limits freezeouts on partypoker it aint worth it. 20% rake and low field. This rebuys tourney i joined had 1k garanteed.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Yes, i think i did a lot of mistakes. Im going back to rebuys when i have 200 bi. And low limits freezeouts on partypoker it aint worth it. 20% rake and low field. This rebuys tourney i joined had 1k garanteed.
      1K is nothing , lot of us play big tourneys with big cashes & win 5 or 6 figures profit on year , you need 500bi to 1000bi to play rebuys profitable

learn to play sng normal time limit because it will help you loads playing final tables when you get to them , there is no quick fixes in poker , you need to learn to play good & find a game you can beat then poker becomes easy