This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

difficult poker rule

• yiazmat50112254
      yiazmat50112254
      Basic
      hi, i'm probably asking a noob question here but i just like to know :)

i was curious what happens when the bubble tied with the cashout if chips are equal.

here an easy example:
      lets say you play a 10h SnG with a standard 50%/30%/20% payout structure. on the first hand everyone goes all-in and one of them wins. clearly the winner gets the 1st prize. but since everyone shoved the first hand everyones chips are equal so there are no sidepots or people with more chips that can take the second and third places.
      in other words, what happens if there can't be a second or third place?
  • 7 replies
    • la55i
      la55i
      An interesting question indeed.
      The stack sizes at the beginning of the hand would decide who is second and who is third, but if the stacks are exactly the same (would be quite unlikely I think?) then I have no idea how it really goes. I assume 2nd and 3rd would split the money there. But what if it is a satellite tournament where only first and second gets a ticket to another tourney?

I hope someone wiser will answer this :f_biggrin:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      This is not a stupid question at all, yiazmat.

While it's quite possible to see players at the very beginning of a tournament bust each other out with equal stack sizes in a multiway pot, I think it's extremely rare to witness this in the money ranks. I personally never experienced it, not that I recall, at least.

Here's what the Wikipedia article on Tie (draw) says:
      Tournament poker

Ties rarely occur, since multiple simultaneous player eliminations will rank the eliminated players by chip counts. However, if two or more players are eliminated in one hand, and both players started the hand with identical chip counts, the players will be tied in official rankings. It is impossible for poker tournaments to end in a tie (since one player must end up with all the chips), though multiple players may be tied for second (or lower) place.
      Note that it doesn't actually say anything about how the payouts are handled, but it seems logical that they would simply split the payouts among the players who tied. It is also possible that some poker rooms may have house rules on this.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I would like to see a hand where this situation has actually happened :f_biggrin:

As Harrier said, it is quite rare that the players have identical stack sizes.
      I think in those cases the hand rankings would decide? So the one with the second best hand would get 2nd place?

So now they should have identical hands and identical stack sizes for this to happen. I have never seen that.
    • yiazmat50112254
      yiazmat50112254
      Basic
      thanks for all the information so far
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Most commen is that if only 1 player of the 9 wins that the winner get's 50% if the paid-outs and the 8 remaing players will get a equal part of the remaning 50% if all stacks are equal. if the prize pool was $9. The winner gets $4,50 and the rest of the players $0,56.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Ratatuj
      Ratatuj
      The easiest way is to just ask a support team of a needed poker room. I guess, rules may be different depending on the room. You can also organize a home game at PokerStars and check the scenario with your friends.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ratatuj
      You can also organize a home game at PokerStars and check the scenario with your friends.
      Couldn't that potentially be interpreted as some form of collusion or chip dumping? I'd be careful.