Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($13.71)
      CO ($7.00)
      BTN ($6.10)
      Hero (SB) ($5.13)
      BB ($1.95)

Pre-flop: ($0.07, 5 players) Hero is SB K:heart: A:heart:
      UTG raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: 5:club: 6:spade: 4:club: ($1.05, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, UTG calls $0.60

Turn: J:club: ($2.25, 2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $1.75, Hero folds

Final Pot: $2.25

UTG wins $3.90 ( won +$1.05 )
      Hero lost -$1.10

I get so often in such situations and i don't know what to do on the turn, because most of the time if i check the turn i get a big bet and after that i have to fold with just A high.
      How should i play this hands?
  • 5 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Flop is drawy, c-bet bigger
      On turn there is not much else you can do, 2nd barrelling is so expensive here and I don't think it's profitable on this limit... especially in a 3bet pot.

Were it a normal raised pot and a good player you could argue that the club is a great card for him to float you on, but I think that is too much thought given to a simple limit. You have nothing, so you can c/f with a clear conscience :)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Are you always c-betting after being PFA and then checking turn if called?

Sometimes you need to fire the second barrel or you will not get enough respect for your flop cbets, becoming a float target. You will have hit about half the time by the turn with AK, meaning if you play 100% cbet - check/fold then you surrender half of all pots by default, while a turn bet from you is always a statement of a made hand.

Even 2nd barreling just sometimes on suitable dry boards (not this board, check-fold is good here... boards with no str or F made by the turn are suitable 2nd barrel boards) makes you unpredictable enough to get more fold equity for your cbet and more payoff from poorer hands when you have hit.
    • Sonydahaka
      Sonydahaka
      Bronze
      I can say that i c-bet like 60-70% of the time when i am the PFA, but of course it depends on the board. I think that i become readable for some of my opponents because if i get a call on the flop and i don't hit on the turn i am inclined to just check the turn.
    • soucy
      soucy
      Bronze
      I don't cbet such a flop.

What do you think will villain fold on such a board?

He won't fold a draw which are def. possible on such a drawy board. He won't fold an overpair or a flopped set. And many times loose villains doesn't fold there overcards too.

So i think this is a good spot to balance your cbet line and directly c/f the flop. Maybe we are giving up the best hand from time to time but we don't get into hard postflop decisions if he flat calls our cbet.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sonydahaka
      I can say that i c-bet like 60-70% of the time when i am the PFA, but of course it depends on the board. I think that i become readable for some of my opponents because if i get a call on the flop and i don't hit on the turn i am inclined to just check the turn.
      I think 60% is too little and 70% is on the edge of too little :P But I guess you might get a lot of multiway pots on NL5, in which case it should be plenty. However, in heads-up pots I would say 60% is definately too small.

I kind of agree with soucy that you can skip c-betting on this board, however it wouldn't be a real mistake to do so. You might want to start looking for good spots to 2nd barrel, for example if a non club K had come or something, you might want to bet that if you think the opponent is capable of folding. Really though, on NL5, I think it's fine to just c/f most often when you don't hit - I myself rarely 2nd barrel on NL10.