This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL10] second nuts with 3bet pot

• ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      This afternoon just lost 5 buy in, this is one bad beat, my play is correct, against avarage tag player?

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $9.59 (95.9 bb)
      BB: $24.89 (248.9 bb)
      UTG: $10 (100 bb)
      MP: $10.15 (101.5 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $10.77 (107.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with :Th: :Ts:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, SB folds, BB raises to $1.30, CO folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($2.95) :Td: :Qd: :3h: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.90, Hero raises to $3.21, BB raises to $23.59 and is all-in, Hero calls $6.26 and is all-in

Turn: ($21.89) :Js: (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($21.89) :7h: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $21.89 pot ($0.98 rake)
      Final Board: :Td: :Qd: :3h: :Js: :7h:
      BB showed :Qs: :Qh: and won $20.91 ($10.14 net)
      Hero showed :Th: :Ts: and lost (-$10.77 net)
  • 14 replies
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      I know you don't like it, but there's absolutely only one combo villain would have gotten the money in that quickly with. Look at the SPR. He wouldn't risk that amount to win what's already there unless he had the nuts. He knew you flopped a set and wouldn't fold it.
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      I think, but i don't know how many he plays the nit, but avarage tag push all in, AKs, AJs and maybe over pair, AA or KK. And maybe 33.
    • SiKWiThIt
      SiKWiThIt
      Gold
      I think this is played fine, On this board, I expect villain to be getting it with worse enough times (AA,KK, AK,AJ,KJ of diamond)
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      That's truly incredible to me that you guys think villain is doing that with that wide of a range lol. He's not and if he is - he's a total spewtard. He doesn't pop the pot up to all in like that with flushdraws. He clearly hit his set and since 33 isn't in his range, and hero holds TT, proceeding with this is just shoving money in the middle out of frustration because you can't believe villain caught QQQ.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ToddBrunson
      I think, but i don't know how many he plays the nit, but avarage tag push all in, AKs, AJs and maybe over pair, AA or KK. And maybe 33.
      The average tag does not shove AKs and AJs here very often at 10NL. He has a ~36% chance to hit his flush draw when the money goes in and he's likely facing a set or top two. You can exploitatively fold and avoid getting stacked here.

I mean, really - You're just making sure stacks go in any time you flop the NFD? You're making sure you realize your equity but that equity is still way behind villain's range.
    • sdf256
      sdf256
      Bronze
      I agree with TakingAShot that he probably wouldn't shove here AKs AJs type of hands. But even if he shoves here only 2 combos of AA then you have a clear call. And I guess he could do that. Maybe he sees a darwy flop and wants to protect against it as much as possible so he shoves. I guess people like to overplay their AA.
    • Sunrise1912
      Sunrise1912
      Bronze
      Easy play for stacks. There is 1 hand that beats you and tons of other overpairs/draws that you dominate.

Cooler. Shit Happens. Sometimes a lot :) . Thats why you have a bankroll management
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sunrise1912
      Easy play for stacks. There is 1 hand that beats you and tons of other overpairs/draws that you dominate.

Cooler. Shit Happens. Sometimes a lot :) . Thats why you have a bankroll management
      Or you could just not lose your stack in an obvious spot where it was inevitable. At even the next level up - 25NL - this linear thinking which includes "I flop a set I play for stacks" or "always GII here with the NFD" will get you really, really hurt. @ 10NL this is not a semi bluff by villain. You're beat.

It's not a horrendous play or anything. Right, he dropped a stack at 10NL after he flopped middle set. Most would have. But the thread ends up serving no purpose if we're just going to all say there was nothing that could have been done. If he folded this hand otf and villain showed QQ, hero would have been happy with the outcome and his fold.
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      I never reach next level if i always get the bad beats and cooler. And NL25 full ring only exist pokerstars where just only plays regs.

But one word this hand, i bad remember this player, villain plays 1.4K hands 23/15 wtsd 29, wonsd 56. So he maximum weeker tag but maybe lag player. 5.6 average 3bet range but BB only 3.3. Maybe i had to fold pre flop, but this number not always give really value his 3bet range. But i'm pretty sure he push all in every AdJd, AdKd, KK, AA, maybe AQ, Q10.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      I never reach next level if i always get the bad beats and cooler. And NL25 full ring only exist pokerstars where just only plays regs.

But one word this hand, i bad remember this player, villain plays 1.4K hands 23/15 wtsd 29, wonsd 56. So he maximum weeker tag but maybe lag player. 5.6 average 3bet range but BB only 3.3. Maybe i had to fold pre flop, but this number not always give really value his 3bet range. But i'm pretty sure he push all in every AdJd, AdKd, KK, AA, maybe AQ, Q10.
      1) Everyone gets bad beats and coolers. It's part of the game and your experiences with them are not unique.
      2) This is a 6max hand. Why are we talking about full ring? 25NL six max is even more populated than 10NL six max.
      3) Right - every villain is unique as is every spot. You just have to keep compiling experience and learning the most you can from each one.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Against a range of QQ and the two Royal flush draw combos this is pretty much a breakeven call
      you just can't fold here after you raise

Alternative line is to flat the flop of course, once you raise you got no choice but to go with it
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Btw at NL10 the population raise a cbet in 3bet pot with air or draw about 30% of the time on average
      probably more vs small sizes
      The notion that raise in 3b pot =set was close to the truth years ago
      This is for call 3bet pots, NL10 population Reg and Zoom mixed together on stars
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      I usually play full ring tables, and really rarely i play 6max because more bad beats, more tilts and more variance. I don't like.
    • TakingAShot
      TakingAShot
      Bronze
      I usually play full ring tables, and really rarely i play 6max because more bad beats, more tilts and more variance. I don't like.
      Dude, your mental game is obviously terrible. Nothing else matters until you work on that.