This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL10] NL10 3bet pot with 3 barrels river hero call or fold?

• ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      Villain is tag, 18/13, sb 3bet range 6. This cbet was suspicious, but i thinked he played flop every hand, AK and any pairs and nothing. Turn bet was still small, so i didn't guess he had three of kind, he had to raise half pot or bigger. And river again small bet.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

SB: $16.09 (160.9 bb)
      BB: $10 (100 bb)
      UTG+2: $13.51 (135.1 bb)
      MP1: $14.39 (143.9 bb)
      MP2: $9.32 (93.2 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $10.30 (103 bb)
      CO: $8.14 (81.4 bb)
      BTN: $11.40 (114 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with :Th: :Ts:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, SB raises to $1, BB folds, Hero calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.10) :2d: :5h: :Ks: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($3.30) :Td: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.95, Hero calls $0.95

River: ($5.20) :6h: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.49, Hero calls $1.49

Results: $8.18 pot ($0.37 rake)
      Final Board: :2d: :5h: :Ks: :Td: :6h:
      SB showed :Kh: :Kc: and won $7.81 ($3.77 net)
      Hero mucked :Th: :Ts: and lost (-$4.04 net)
  • 10 replies
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      raise for sure, you can just jam here I'd say
    • ToddBrunson
      ToddBrunson
      Bronze
      Lot of bad beats and three of kind against bigger three of kind. Lucky my read was good.
    • Andrepipocado
      Andrepipocado
      Bronze
      Played very passively, you have set against a player apparently fish, you have to extract the maximum value. On the turn I like the call, keep his bluff range and some minor pairs (QQ, JJ, 99, Kx weak) but I do not see a problem in starting to attack right here. On the river we have to look for call from these weaker hands, mainly against weak players who will pay frequently in this spot. Play your big hands aggressively!
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by ToddBrunson
      Lot of bad beats and three of kind against bigger three of kind. Lucky my read was good.
      You lost yourself anywhere between 2-3 dollars here in equity
      You didn't really have a read here unless I'm missing something, just the sizings?
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      I agree that we should be raising, the turn...

About the sizings, he can be playing AK that way - board is dry and wants all PPs to call him.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      I actually like the turn flat, we can allow him to keep putting money in with weak hands
      And make our range look weak when we just flat + tempting for him to bluff river and keep betting his weaker made hands
      And then our slam dunk Jam over a river bet has a lot less credibility as we just flatted turn
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      I actually like the turn flat, we can allow him to keep putting money in with weak hands
      And make our range look weak when we just flat + tempting for him to bluff river and keep betting his weaker made hands
      And then our slam dunk Jam over a river bet has a lot less credibility as we just flatted turn
      He bets 1$ into 3$,..surely raising the turn is better? Denying equity to draws he barrels?
    • nitrol
      nitrol
      Silver
      It is sure that at some point we should be raising.
      I prefer raising the turn as there are more possible draws now.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I'm not that afraid of a backdoor draw in a 3bet pot so imo our hand doesn't need that much protection. 5d,6d and Kd also give us a full house so if villain has a FD he has dirty outs. So he either has a FD with 6 clean outs or a gutshot with 4 outs?

I agree with slam dunk jamming OTR.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      What you got to realize is that draws you mention are pretty much hands like AQ here
      that have 9% equity against you
      And have bigger chance to improve to a pair on the river that'll give you some value as opposed to actually hitting

The only flush draws here that he should have SB vs MP3 are KdQd AdKd AdQd AdJd
      Weaker AXs shouldn't be 3bet besides A2s-A5s in these positions really, and even those are aroudn breakeven ish. I expect fullring players to be pretty tight too so even QsJs might opt to fold or call, same might be the case for KdQd etc. actually

So we're talking of 3-10 flush draw combos, that aren't even folding to your raise ever
      vs all the weaker hands he can have with the smaller size where he can bet a lot more KQ, even QQ JJ which are many more combos.

One thing to note is that you're not denying equity to his flush draws ever, as all of them either have a pair or are nut flush draws that are going to call unless you use a really large size, you're charging them the raise size on the turn but are going to lose anyways when he hits.
      So you're denying equity to AQ, that you don't really want to fold out and other hands that you have just crushed

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with raising here as you can set up your own aggressive strategy with your gutters etc. easily and then you add sets. But you guys should be very careful of just blindly raising good hands because there's an extra suit on the board, where in reality the draws are not that much of a concern. Like it will be the case SBvs UTG/MP3 in fullring where 3bet ranges are really tight