This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2] KK against weird line

• Bernasconi
      Bernasconi
      Silver
      PF: Standard open raise to 4BB with KK in MP.
      F: Not the worst flop altough flush draw. I usually bet at least 2/3 pot-size on this flop but BB decides to donk bet 7 BB. I raise because I want weaker hands and maybe bluffs to fold. He calls.
      T: Not the worst card on the turn. He checks to me. Honestly I do not know if I should bet here again. I decide to check because I do not feel great in this hand and I dont want to get more money into the pot.
      R: He donks all-in. I fold.

Two questions:

a) What hand could he possibily have? He calls my PFR from the BB. I give him a wider range than from other positions including at least every small or mid pocket pair and different suited connectors. Maybe even bigger pairs or AA which he decided to not raise PF. He does not fold on the flop against my raise so I assume he at least hits the flush draw maybe even flops the set with TT, 22 or 88.

b) Was my flop correct on the river or too tight? The only hands I would beat would be lower pocket pairs including QQ and missed flush draws. Even JJ beats me with the straight, different sets, the lower straight with 56 etc. How should I have played this hand differently or was it correct? Why would he go straight all-in on the river?

888 Poker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 146 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
      SB: 185.5 BB (VPIP: 58.33, PFR: 37.50, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 24)
      BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
      UTG: 64 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
      UTG+1: 325 BB (VPIP: 17.39, PFR: 9.15, 3Bet Preflop: 5.14, Hands: 902)
      MP: 122 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 4.17, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
      Hero (MP+1): 110.5 BB
      CO: 75 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: K:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 4 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 3.5 BB, BB calls 3 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 3 players) T:spade: 2:spade: 8:diamond:
      SB checks, BB bets 7 BB, Hero raises to 18 BB, fold, BB calls 11 BB

Turn: (48 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (48 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
      BB bets 78 BB and is all-in, fold

BB wins 45 BB
  • 5 replies
    • Netgames999
      Netgames999
      Silver

I raise because I want weaker hands and maybe bluffs to fold
      Wait? What? No! You want them to pay to much. Not to fold.

Preflop is fine.
      Flop, I would raise bigger. If he has some :spade: or some QJ, Q9... your are giving him a very good price.
      As played. I bet the turn. He can still have some Tx, pair+draw.
      River is a fold.

Why would he go straight all-in on the river?
      Because he wants to get paid.
    • la55i
      la55i
      I raise because I want weaker hands and maybe bluffs to fold.
      Yea let's flip that other way around. If villain has a bluff or a weaker hand, you want to get money from those. Not make those fold and make sure he calls your raise only with better hands. I might have just called OTF and let him continue barreling with this bluffs. As played I would probably raise bigger and then bet again OTT. As Netgames999 said he still has draws, you want to get value and protect your hand. Then it is often easier to play the river too. If he calls OTT you have the chance to check behind OTR because you are IP. If you raise OTF and then check the turn, you might open yourself up for bluffs.
    • KatalonacX
      KatalonacX
      Silver
      OTF raise bigger,board is draw heavy, charge draws...OTT is bet, around 1/2 pot will be fine.OTF is fold,imo.
    • Andrepipocado
      Andrepipocado
      Bronze
      Originally posted by la55i
      I raise because I want weaker hands and maybe bluffs to fold.
      Yea let's flip that other way around. If villain has a bluff or a weaker hand, you want to get money from those. Not make those fold and make sure he calls your raise only with better hands. I might have just called OTF and let him continue barreling with this bluffs. As played I would probably raise bigger and then bet again OTT. As Netgames999 said he still has draws, you want to get value and protect your hand. Then it is often easier to play the river too. If he calls OTT you have the chance to check behind OTR because you are IP. If you raise OTF and then check the turn, you might open yourself up for bluffs.
      Do not you think that by just calling the flop we give the free card to the villain? For in the range of it has many FD and Gutshots that will hit with a certain frequency. When raising raise we charge many Tx, FD, Gutshots and up to 8x.

Have you felt it?
    • la55i
      la55i
      Villain is the one doing the betting, so I don't think we are giving any free cards. Also, if he has a draw we are still ahead. If villain is somewhat aggressive or otherwise likely to continue barreling, I think it might be just fine to let him do that. If we raise we probably just make him fold a lot of stuff. I don't see him calling a raise with gutshots or 8x. Probably not even some Tx hands.